499 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Raf Diaz is going to sign a first team contract.  Since Meara was already signed to a first team contract for multiple years this off-season, I would assume that Meara will be the new #2 and that Diaz will now be the #3 / reserve #1 who will be loaned down to the USL team.

If this is the case, does it mean they don't see Meara as Robles' replacement?  He's not going to improve by not playing, and, barring injury, Robles' backup will not play.

Frog

Frog

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Supports:Metro

That is a good question.  I think it was clear that not all four of Robles/Reynish/Meara/Diaz was needed, and even though Meara impressed last year giving him a multi year deal was an interesting move, and I would be curious what the salary is.  Diaz is a done deal by the way.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

That is a good question.  I think it was clear that not all four of Robles/Reynish/Meara/Diaz was needed, and even though Meara impressed last year giving him a multi year deal was an interesting move, and I would be curious what the salary is.  Diaz is a done deal by the way.

Source?
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Raf Diaz came into the bagel shop last week. I was very happy to serve him. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

If this is the case, does it mean they don't see Meara as Robles' replacement?  He's not going to improve by not playing, and, barring injury, Robles' backup will not play.

Meara will still take almost all of the USL games you figure. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
Dyer reporting that Valot and Bezecourt will be with the first team for preseason.

http://touch.metro.u...--6lv5glUh7Quc/

Additionally, Goal.com is stating that we are looking to trade the HGP rights of Adam Najem but no other team wants him. A bit odd considering his talent.
Also reports that Borges and Louro are HGP candidates. GKs would be Robles, Meara, Diaz, Louro.

@CurseofCaricola

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
"Additionally, Goal.com is stating that we are looking to trade the HGP rights of Adam Najem but no other team wants him. A bit odd considering his talent."

what position does Adam Najem play? i happened to sit next to his father at a usl game and he told me that Adam would either get a homegrown contract or try overseas.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Dyer reporting that Valot and Bezecourt will be with the first team for preseason.

http://touch.metro.u...--6lv5glUh7Quc/

Additionally, Goal.com is stating that we are looking to trade the HGP rights of Adam Najem but no other team wants him. A bit odd considering his talent.
Also reports that Borges and Louro are HGP candidates. GKs would be Robles, Meara, Diaz, Louro.

Trading homegrown rights is such a stupid concept.  It should be prohibited.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Najem from what i gather can play the Sacha or Felipe role in midfield. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
Adam Najem is more of a Sacha or Grella role. Attacking midfielder.

Trading the HGP rights to Bryan Gallego, who was a highly touted defender, that was poorly used by Portland, caused guys like Metzger, Allen and oddly enough Adam Najem -- among others to pull away from Red Bull Academy so they don't get a HGP tag.

If Ali tries this, it is an absolute idiot move for the long term, IMO. Especially a season after some uncertainty after the Thorsheim, Thomsen, Corboz drama.

Adam came back to Red Bull (partly because overseas trials failed, partly cause his brother returned, and partly from the team mending fences with him). If the team mended fences just to get something for him rather than let him be a top 5 pick in the MLS Draft, there will be a trickle down effect to other academy players.

This would be worse than last seasons HGP issue with the trio mentioned above, worse than Hot/Kassel, and worse than Gallego.

Additionally, Najem has the tools and ability to make a major impact in MLS in a few years.

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Trading the HGP rights to Bryan Gallego, who was a highly touted defender, that was poorly used by Portland, caused guys like Metzger, Allen and oddly enough Adam Najem -- among others to pull away from Red Bull Academy so they don't get a HGP tag.

If Ali tries this, it is an absolute idiot move for the long term, IMO. Especially a season after some uncertainty after the Thorsheim, Thomsen, Corboz drama.

Adam came back to Red Bull (partly because overseas trials failed, partly cause his brother returned, and partly from the team mending fences with him). If the team mended fences just to get something for him rather than let him be a top 5 pick in the MLS Draft, there will be a trickle down effect to other academy players.

This would be worse than last seasons HGP issue with the trio mentioned above, worse than Hot/Kassel, and worse than Gallego.

Additionally, Najem has the tools and ability to make a major impact in MLS in a few years.

Why is it drama? Some academy players are just not good enough for MLS. Gallego got a shot with Portland, and tried to come back here. I assume Corboz/Thorsheim/Thomsen got a fair shot last year. (It was pretty clear, for example, that Thomsen was up against Bilyeu, and Bilyeu beat him out. Why should Thomsen get an advantage? Just because he is an academy player?) None of them signed with a MLS team afterwards. Kassel/Hot were handled poorly, but the first one couldn't hack it with a bad Worms team, and the second signed in what, German 5th division?

Some players are just not good enough. Plenty of academy "studs" get cut throughout the league. At least RBNY is giving them a chance now.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Logjam in central midfield. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

puhe

puhe

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Supports:metro

Remember when we were hyping Gallego? And now at 23 or so, he's out of the sport, it appears.

I agree trading HGs should not be allowed though, or it should at least require player approval.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Would Najem make more money as a Top 5 pick or having his rights traded and signing with the new team as a Homegrown Player?

BLewis1968

BLewis1968

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Why is it drama? Some academy players are just not good enough for MLS. Gallego got a shot with Portland, and tried to come back here. I assume Corboz/Thorsheim/Thomsen got a fair shot last year. (It was pretty clear, for example, that Thomsen was up against Bilyeu, and Bilyeu beat him out. Why should Thomsen get an advantage? Just because he is an academy player?) None of them signed with a MLS team afterwards. Kassel/Hot were handled poorly, but the first one couldn't hack it with a bad Worms team, and the second signed in what, German 5th division?

Some players are just not good enough. Plenty of academy "studs" get cut throughout the league. At least RBNY is giving them a chance now.

Well said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users