16 replies to this topic

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs
The Global Soccer Brand keeps getting BIGGER .... 5th Division German Football !

Red Bull have started a new club in Leipzig, called RB Leipzig (RB = Rasenballsport, they are not allowed to call it Red Bull Leipzig) Lok Leipzig and Sachsen Leipzig were hoping to close the deal, but both clubs are in chaos so Red Bull decided to cooperate with SSV Markranstädt. Red Bull are going to invest an estimated 100 million Euros in the next decade.

:lol:
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

theredmenace

theredmenace

2009 DOTY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Thoughtcrime United
You're late.
Upsetting Shorts: Funny, so you don't have to. SEASON 2 BEGINS! NEW EPISODE JULY 2nd!!!

Eleazar: "Tim = wise man"

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs
Here's wishing them all the success the 'New York' experiment has experienced !
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro
Why arent they allowed to call it Red Bull?

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars Black
Good for the German FA to stand up to them and not let them pull their usual nonsense.

If only Red Bull did the same thing in Austria (start a new club and work its way up the league ranks), everybody would've been happy. But No, they had to buy the existing team with a ton of history and alienate a large segment of fans. Shows what mental midgets are in the RB PR department. In a country like Austria, they probably could've gotten the new team into the top flight within 5 years.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

Good for the German FA to stand up to them and not let them pull their usual nonsense.

If only Red Bull did the same thing in Austria (start a new club and work its way up the league ranks), everybody would've been happy. But No, they had to buy the existing team with a ton of history and alienate a large segment of fans. Shows what mental midgets are in the RB PR department. In a country like Austria, they probably could've gotten the new team into the top flight within 5 years.

Well to be honest they couldve done that here too. There really wasnt anything to stop them from buying the NY2 slot and actually playing in NY somewhere. But the assholes that they are theyd much rather piss people off.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

ediddy

ediddy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Well to be honest they couldve done that here too. There really wasnt anything to stop them from buying the NY2 slot and actually playing in NY somewhere. But the assholes that they are theyd much rather piss people off.

Yeah all 12 of them!

I used to have a couple of funny things here but I can no longer find them.

MulletGSS

MulletGSS

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, FC Barcelona

you know what i'm thinking, i'm guessing the owner or one of the owners bought that team in austria because it was the team that he grew up hating (let's say i being a barcelona fan, bought real madrid and destroyed its identity and everything) so the team was bought and destroyed of all its history.

not bad- imagine if we could do that with DC haha

The opinions expressed here are the views of MulletGSS and do not reflect the views and opinions of GSS or any of it's other members.

Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

True, but Metro didn't have stable ownership at the time, so the team was ripe for the picking. MLS really couldn't stand in their way. I'm not as well-versed in the Salzburg situation, but the impression I got was that it was a far more hostile takeover.

In retrospect, Red Bull probably would've been better off buying an expansion team. It's easier to start from scratch than to try to turn a cursed franchise into a 'Superclub.'

GeneralMSU3

GeneralMSU3

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

True, but Metro didn't have stable ownership at the time, so the team was ripe for the picking. MLS really couldn't stand in their way. I'm not as well-versed in the Salzburg situation, but the impression I got was that it was a far more hostile takeover.

In retrospect, Red Bull probably would've been better off buying an expansion team. It's easier to start from scratch than to try to turn a cursed franchise into a 'Superclub.'

Disagree and agree....

I disagree that Metro didn't have stable ownership. I think AEG is pretty stable in my book. They basically kept this League alive for years owning half the League's teams at one point. Were they the ideal owners for the team? I don't know....probably not, but I did (for some reason) feel like the team was in better hands then.

I agree with you 100% that Red Bull. in retroespect, would have been better off buying an expansion team. They have alienated a lot of supporters that were hard core Metro fans. Now they have a major up-hill battle on their hands to gain fans.....and more importantly to stop losing them.

What's left after the novelty of the new stadium has worn off??

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

I agree with you 100% that Red Bull. in retroespect, would have been better off buying an expansion team. They have alienated a lot of supporters that were hard core Metro fans.

They also would have had a "New York" branded branch (which is the whole point) that was actually in New York.
No one makes TV commercials to get people to look at their billboards.

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Where would they have played? Wasn't the stadium the selling point?

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Hell, if only MLS HQ had more authority for that matter, they were against the Red Bull branding (not the ownership) fromt he jump. As i recall it was AEG (the dominate figure on the BoG at that time) that pretty much forced the sale through and the consent to rebrad because they very much were looking to unload that franchise after suffering massive losses operating them.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Disagree and agree....

I disagree that Metro didn't have stable ownership. I think AEG is pretty stable in my book. They basically kept this League alive for years owning half the League's teams at one point. Were they the ideal owners for the team? I don't know....probably not, but I did (for some reason) feel like the team was in better hands then.

I agree with you 100% that Red Bull. in retroespect, would have been better off buying an expansion team. They have alienated a lot of supporters that were hard core Metro fans. Now they have a major up-hill battle on their hands to gain fans.....and more importantly to stop losing them.

What's left after the novelty of the new stadium has worn off??

AEG was unstable because frankly, they did not want to own the team. They were basically caretakers of the franchise for the good of the league (and a hope to make a slight profit on the resale). When Red Bull came along, MLS wasn't thrilled, and I'm sure would have preferred other owners, but AEG wanted to sell, so MLS let them sell. Yes AEG was financially stable, but a stable ownership situation would have been an owner that wasn't looking to offload the team first chance they got.

As for the expansion team, Red Bull would have been better off with a brand new team, and a year or two lead-up to build up their brand. Instead they bought Metro a few months before the season, and had to try to both eliminate the negative stigma of Metro and build their own brand very quickly.

I agree that the only reason that makes sense is that the legwork was already done for the Harrison stadium, so it made sense to latch onto that bid. The only weird thing is that initially, I think Red Bull was dillusional enough to think the team was going to fill Giants Stadium like a Cosmos 2.0, so who knows.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Yeah all 12 of them!

Ow! That hurt! :pint:

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users