74 replies to this topic

pooperscooper

pooperscooper

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA, Arsenal

I am completely floored by this. I met him this year through Red Bull Out and although I did not know him as long as some of the other posters, his passion for all things Metro was incredibly obvious. RIP Mike, you will be missed.

jerzyiroc

jerzyiroc

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I didn't know him, but we did chat briefly when we were going over some stuff for the custom jersey order. He seemed like an awesome dude and his passion for this club was pretty clear to me. RIP dude    :( 

BLewis1968

BLewis1968

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

That's horrible. He was just a kid! Just terrible news. My prayers go out  to his family.

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
Friend for 10 years or so; can't even imagine this is possible. I remember the 2007 U-20s in Montreal, when he was going to McGill, laughing & 'debating' some rival fans during US games at Olympic stadium. Mike was just a 19 year old kid then, but fit right in with us 30 year olds and brought it in the section every time.

I once asked him bar recommendations in MTL for a friend, he wrote back a two page email that I still forward to people when they ask. Just a sample of his generosity & loyal friendship.

Saying he'll be "sorely missed" doesn't put enough emphasis on it. Every time I saw him, I laughed or smiled.

RIP, kiddo.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

did not know him personally, but i definitely recognize his name from the forums.  RIP.  my condolences to his family and friends

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Maybe the team can do a moment of silence for him before the game?

I didn't know him other then reading his posts here but that's just way too young.

My condolences to his friends and family.

The Irishman

The Irishman

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Celtic, USMNT, Ireland

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. RIP Mike V

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." - William Shakespeare

"After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb." - Nelson Mandela

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

devil500

devil500

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,633 posts
  • Interests:Engineering
  • Supports:Metro

I remember Mike back in the GS days. RIP Mike. 

#RedBullOUT

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

I only "knew" him from his online presence. His passion for life/soccer/social causes was clear for all to see. My most deepest of thoughts/prayers for his friends & family.

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

Greg, im sorry to hear about Mike. This just floored me damn.  He was always a good guy the times that i ran into him at games, even ran into to him in Pearl River a few times when i worked there.  He will be missed by his friends and family for sure, but will definitely missed around here and the Metro community. 

hypotheticalself

hypotheticalself

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Tottenham

Maybe the team can do a moment of silence for him before the game?

I didn't know him other then reading his posts here but that's just way too young.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Maybe an ovation during the 8th minute, since his birthday was 8/8/88?

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Mike's very best column, one that encapsulates a lot of who he was (and will always be): http://www.empireofs...nty-green-9739/

He was a builder. He was someone who fought to make his world - soccer, society, whatever - better. He took responsibility for the things going on around him rather than leaving it to others. He cared deeply, and followed through on the depth of feelings with his actions.

When any of my contemporaries, or anyone from the older generation complains to me about "the way things are today" I always reply that "things are getting better. The kids are smart and engaged, and they really care."

Mike was a big part of why I believed that. I'll miss him so much.

Par

Par

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Supports:NY Soccer!!!
Sincere condolences to his family and all of you guys. Sad day.
Metrostars/Red Bulls/whatever comes next till i die..........

anamorican

anamorican

Agent of Nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:Monster
I loved Mike. He was part of that New Kids wave that SMF rode in on and even after I left there was no one I enjoyed standing by at USMNT games more than him. He was my personal Montreal tour guide. I had just sent him some old ESC stuff I had laying around a few months ago because I knew there was no one who would treat it better. For me to sit hear and read this today breaks my heart. A better person and more passionate guy than any of us.

Here's to the most Mega Bad Boy ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users