62 replies to this topic

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

The number of assumptions in his post is staggering.

Yes, and It may be not like all that, but the FO and Ownership get absolutely zero benefit of the doubt. At this point we should always be assuming the worst case scenario and motives

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Not sure why everything has to be nefarious. Im happy that Woly will get the chance to pursue higher ambitions.

RB2 is a reserve team, moving to a developmental reserve league in 2023. Woly deserves an opportunity to coach at a higher level than that.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Yes, and It may be not like all that, but the FO and Ownership get absolutely zero benefit of the doubt. At this point we should always be assuming the worst case scenario and motives

He stayed here for 7 years under three different regimes for a second division developmental arm. There is no evidence to indicate there was anything nefarious a play here. We have no idea what's going on here. He could have a better job offer elsewhere. He could be leaving for medical reasons. He and Thelwell could have agreed it was just time for both to change things up with no bad ill will either way. Aside from being hysterical and based in no evidence, it's honestly unfair to Wolyniec to make him a pawn in everyone else's neurotic agenda.

tariq13

tariq13

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, New York Red Bulls

I think we all need to be realistic about what RB2 is. Coaching that team is not the type of position that helps you advance your management career. Yes he won USL Cup and the regular season, but look what he has to deal with. Never knowing who is going to be available for your games. Being given players to use simply because they need match fitness. It's hard to build something around that and then apply elsewhere and say "look at the squad I built". It would be different if he coached a non-MLS owned USL team. I'm not saying it was anything nefarious, I'm not trying to speculate what the reasons are, I'm just saying leaving the head coaching job at RB2 is a good move for Woly. I think he deserves to now be the manager of a first team (whether that be in MLS or USL) and build his resume up.

RB2 is never going to be a glamorous position. (The same goes for all the MLS2 teams, not just ours. That's the nature of what these teams are.)

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,916 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

He could be leaving for medical reasons.

Sick of RB?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,254 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

The number of assumptions in his post is staggering.

Yet they are probably mostly correct.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
The current project at RB2 is different than it was when Woly started with the team and hes obviously not on their radar for the first team. Makes sense for Woly to move on. If he has ambitions to coach in MLS, it doesnt look like it will be RBNY and coaching the current RBNY2 team will probably not help his chances.

I just dont see how their actions are driving him away. Are they supposed change their development strategy to make signings to keep a USL coach?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I think we all need to be realistic about what RB2 is. Coaching that team is not the type of position that helps you advance your management career. Yes he won USL Cup and the regular season, but look what he has to deal with. Never knowing who is going to be available for your games. Being given players to use simply because they need match fitness. It's hard to build something around that and then apply elsewhere and say "look at the squad I built". It would be different if he coached a non-MLS owned USL team. I'm not saying it was anything nefarious, I'm not trying to speculate what the reasons are, I'm just saying leaving the head coaching job at RB2 is a good move for Woly. I think he deserves to now be the manager of a first team (whether that be in MLS or USL) and build his resume up.

RB2 is never going to be a glamorous position. (The same goes for all the MLS2 teams, not just ours. That's the nature of what these teams are.)

fc dallas had similar issues and in the past they have hired their academy coach to be the first team manager. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,809 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The current project at RB2 is different than it was when Woly started with the team and hes obviously not on their radar for the first team. Makes sense for Woly to move on. If he has ambitions to coach in MLS, it doesnt look like it will be RBNY and coaching the current RBNY2 team will probably not help his chances.

I just dont see how their actions are driving him away. Are they supposed change their development strategy to make signings to keep a USL coach?

Why would he "obviously not be on the radar for the first team?"    Even as an assistant?    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

fc dallas had similar issues and in the past they have hired their academy coach to be the first team manager. 

If I recall correctly, Luchi Gonzales did not fair well with the first team. The theory was that he knew most of Dallas young players from their development squads and that it would help his transition to the top level

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

I'm sure Woly decided to quit his job so he could spend time finding another. Definitely not him getting pushed out.  Woly made a huge nest egg as a player and was working more to keep busy than anything else. 

Sarcasm aside, should he have gotten pushed out? I don't know. But I feel it's a touch naive to think that's not the case. I'm sure he got a 6 month severance or something and it was amicable, but no one (barring health concern) just steps down from a job without having something lined up.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Why would he "obviously not be on the radar for the first team?"    Even as an assistant?    

I only say that bc they havent given him a look yet. Were on our 3rd head coach since Marsch and Woly has yet to be called up in any capacity.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

If I recall correctly, Luchi Gonzales did not fair well with the first team. The theory was that he knew most of Dallas young players from their development squads and that it would help his transition to the top level

doesnt matter if he didnt fair well. He got an opportunity to be HC. So it is possible to jump from youth team coach to first team coach. That was the point inwas making

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

doesnt matter if he didnt fair well. He got an opportunity to be HC. So it is possible to jump from youth team coach to first team coach. That was the point inwas making

It's possible to jump from reality TV star to President of the United States, too.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,809 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Anyone know what Woly's up to these days?  I just assumed he was leaving to go somewhere.  Really odd that he just left without a place to go.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users