242 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

We are just a week away from the start of pre-season, and pre-season only goes for 6 weeks.     Not having the roster set before camp is a failure, especially with the added on-boarding delays for quarantine.     If we are saying this is the roster, that's an even bigger failure.  I don't know why I expected better with Thelwell here, but seems its just more of the same.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I see no reason to be excited about this season at all.  Even if Struber is Marsch level, there is no reason to think that we can honestly compete for a trophy.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

We are just a week away from the start of pre-season, and pre-season only goes for 6 weeks.     Not having the roster set before camp is a failure, especially with the added on-boarding delays for quarantine.     If we are saying this is the roster, that's an even bigger failure.  I don't know why I expected better with Thelwell here, but seems its just more of the same.

If you don't get players in time for preseason, you can use that as an excuse why they are not performing and promise to get new players in the summer (only if they are good fits!).

They, of course, won't have been here for preseason either, so you can use that as an excuse why they are not performing and promise to get new players in the offseason.

Rinse, repeat.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Of course you want the majority of the signings to be in before training camp.  That said its easier to get some guys to come over in the summer so i think its fair to still expect a signing or two to come in the summer.

We've signed expected first team contributors Reyes, Edwards, Fabio, with at least 2 of them expected to start.  Calling the winter window so far a failure for the roster not being set is a bit of a stretch.  Ideally though we get another signing announced before camp kicks off.  

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Off the top of my head, significant players In/Out since 2018 

Out
BWP - Golden Boot winner / club legend
Robles - MLS keeper of the year / club Legend
Tyler Adams - Top midfielder in Concacaf / Starter for UCL team
Kemar Lawrence - MLS Best XI player
Kaku - Top MLS playmaker (DP)
Amir Murillo - All star defender
Tim Parker - Fringe USMNT player

In
Dru Yearwood - English Championship Player (DP)
Kyle Dunan - (Academy player) Fringe USMNT player 
Jason Pendant - French League 2 defender
Andres Reyes - second year MLS Defender
Jensen - backup keeper from Eredivise

wtf.....

This is exactly why I am so frustrated this year with the FO... This team needs at least 4 or 5 experienced acquisition that are upgrades over the current sides roster

Dru "Red Card" Yearwood should not be a DP...
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Of course you want the majority of the signings to be in before training camp.  That said its easier to get some guys to come over in the summer so i think its fair to still expect a signing or two to come in the summer.

We've signed expected first team contributors Reyes, Edwards, Fabio, with at least 2 of them expected to start.  Calling the winter window so far a failure for the roster not being set is a bit of a stretch.  Ideally though we get another signing announced before camp kicks off.  

A failure, dont know. Not nearly enough of an improvement where you could be confident that they can compete at the top of the league, though.

They continue to ignore problem areas of the roster or stick their head in the sand and think the players at their disposal cant be improved upon.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

A failure, dont know. Not nearly enough of an improvement where you could be confident that they can compete at the top of the league, though.

They continue to ignore problem areas of the roster or stick their head in the sand and think the players at their disposal cant be improved upon.

Roster 100% is incomplete now for title contending.  I just think they've done ok at beginning to fill some spots early to have it called a failure.  the only position that i 100% wanted a replacement in before camp was a Barlow replacement, then everything else try to get in as early as possible.  so many teams that people hear would say are "run well" still have holes to fill imo.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Hopefully it'll be like the 12 days of Christmas leading up to Preseason, but I'm suddenly filled with doubt.

On the fifth day of pre-season Thelwell gave to me:

FIIIIIIIVE ROSTER SPOTS

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Yeah, but with Parker leaving, I'd say (at this point) that the addition of Reyes is at best a push. 

At this juncture, Fabio is the only one who fills an obvious need from 2020 season. 

I'd say ideally we get another signing announced (beyond Harper & Coronel) before camp. I'm still optimistic, but it feels like there has been a sudden absence of rumors... and a couple rumors that I put into the final category in my head seem to not be finalized. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Ive been pretty negative surrounding our 19 and 20 teams saying we would just get in but not win a playoff game.

Right now I would have to say I dont think we make the playoffs if im looking at the roster as is.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I am baffled how anyone does the math on what we've lost and what we needed to get and thinks we are improved in any meaningful way.

Reyes is barely a replacement for Parker, and just as likely a step down. 

Edwards is brought in to address one of our lowest priorities.

Fabio.... um, OK.    Sure, an upgrade over Barlow and White... but that's not saying much at all.

And Kaku's gone, for all intents and purposes.    Counting on Caden Clark filling those shoes?

That's it, for a team that completely shit the bed last year.  If you don't think last year was a shit the bed season, even after Armas got dumped, then you just have far lower expectations than I do.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
Havent been linked to a central/dmid the entire window either

Its the same pattern every offseason, the fans and the FO talk about upgrades as the season ends, they throw us some scraps, and then parts of the fanbase pretend as if the team never needed those upgrades in the first place

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Well all of the needs that the fanbase points out have gone unanswered.

- They got rid of Parker because of cap space and age, bring in Reyes who didn't perform well with Miami last year
- They get a replacement for Duncan
- They sign a forward on loan until July
- Apparently are getting a GK on loan even though we have three and will take up an international slot
- And have five open roster slots

How is anyone optimistic about this?

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Well all of the needs that the fanbase points out have gone unanswered.

- They got rid of Parker because of cap space and age, bring in Reyes who didn't perform well with Miami last year
- They get a replacement for Duncan
- They sign a forward on loan until July
- Apparently are getting a GK on loan even though we have three and will take up an international slot
- And have five open roster slots

How is anyone optimistic about this?

To be fair half or more of those roster slots are on the reserve/supplemental roster, which is also a bad thing because theyve filled out the senior roster without markedly improving the team.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

I am baffled how anyone does the math on what we've lost and what we needed to get and thinks we are improved in any meaningful way.

Reyes is barely a replacement for Parker, and just as likely a step down. 

Edwards is brought in to address one of our lowest priorities.

Fabio.... um, OK.    Sure, an upgrade over Barlow and White... but that's not saying much at all.

And Kaku's gone, for all intents and purposes.    Counting on Caden Clark filling those shoes?

That's it, for a team that completely shit the bed last year.  If you don't think last year was a shit the bed season, even after Armas got dumped, then you just have far lower expectations than I do.   

All i am saying is that its clear they've started process to get better, this isnt a kid waking up an hour before an assignment is due and opening Word for the first time. 

Personally i think Barlow was the worst starting attacker on any playoff team in MLS so Fabio has the potential to be a massive upgrade.  The kaku resolution is the thing i am most worried about.  He's taking up at minimum a full senior DP cap hit and potentially some cash to use for players too.  I was worried we'd have 5 signings we need to get done when camp started when now i want a DP attacker (indifferent on 10 or second forward) and then either a left back or LCM.

we have a young team so there will always be a little more randomness with our players and their improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users