#2 FIRExNECK

FIRExNECK

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, West Ham

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

What if there really was a club from Detroit.....

Oh Detroit is a suburb of Detroit!

:lol:

.::ANTIFA CHICAGO::.
.::ULTRAS :: RED :: SIDE::.
.::They call me Jesse White in Canada::.

#3 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

Nice. Would have been cool if they'd bought a plot of land in Detroit to build a stadium, especially since any team would be called "Detroit", but then again they'd have to deal with the Detroit City Council.

#4 FireFanInPackerLand

FireFanInPackerLand

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • Supports:MU rah rah, Fire, Celtic, USMNT

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

More details from local
http://www.freep.com...ccer-to-Pontiac

#5 joey

joey

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire and the arsenal

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

the former home of the National Foodball League's Detroit Lions

i wish there really was a national foodball league. but i believe it may just be a typo. :(

"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

"I don't approve of your methods."
"Yeah, well... you're not from Chicago."

http://peterlowry.ytmnd.com/

#6 FireFanInPackerLand

FireFanInPackerLand

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • Supports:MU rah rah, Fire, Celtic, USMNT

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

I am all for a Detroit team at the Silverdome site (Not in the actual Silverdome. Someone on BS pointed out that the Silverdome is "an entire SSS bigger than Qwest Field.") AFTER Montreal gets a team.

Not sure what I'd enjoy more

A Section 8 Football Special Drunk Train to Pontiac with everyone chanting DEE-TROIT SUCKS the whole way there
or
Taint Louis NOT getting a team higher than their USL breakaway team.

#7 giaco

giaco

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire, Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Guiness, and a lot of other things.

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

IF a suburb of detroit gets an MLS side, is it actually a potential harbinger for the end of days?

#8 rednow.red4ever

rednow.red4ever

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Reds of the Windy City

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

IF a suburb of detroit gets an MLS side, is it actually a potential harbinger for the end of days?

"Pontiac is a suburb of Detroit"
Our friends will never walk alone.

#9 tonyni

tonyni

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire!

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

Taking a line from Lee Corso,

Not so fast, my friend!

Sale halted on Pontiac Silverdome
http://www.freep.com...y-on-Silverdome

An Oakland County Circuit Court judge is to decide by Monday whether this week's sale of the Pontiac Silverdome for $583,000 to a Toronto-based developer will go through.

Judge Edward Sosnick heard arguments Wednesday from an attorney representing Silver Stallion Development Corp., which hopes to block the sale to Andreas Apostolopoulos in trust for a corporation to be formed from Toronto.

Attorneys representing the City of Pontiac, which owns the 35-year-old stadium and its 127 adjacent acres, say the purchase by the trust at a Monday auction is valid and should be finalized. The developers plan to use the complex as a soccer venue.

Silver Stallion, owned by Bloomfield Hills businessman and attorney H. Wallace Parker, had offered to buy the 80,000-plus-seat stadium for $20 million in 2008 and had signed a purchase agreement. But that contract expired.

So the challenger is trying to halt the sale of a stadium for $500k....so they can spend $20 million on it? Doesn't sound like a great business move to me. You'd also think they'd step in BEFORE the auction of the property they claim they already own. Or at least participate in the bidding. I can't see this actually stopping the sale, but its a possibility.

#10 dpm

dpm

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

It's no secret that I'm a lifelong Red Wings fan. And I have a lot of good friends in Detroit who would be very, very excited to see this happen...

That being said: fuck them and the horse they *might* ride in on. It's going to be fun taking over their stadium. I've been considering making a U.P. banner like my avatar, and it'd be incredibly sweet to fly it over Pontiac.

#11 dabull

dabull

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

So the challenger is trying to halt the sale of a stadium for $500k....so they can spend $20 million on it? Doesn't sound like a great business move to me. You'd also think they'd step in BEFORE the auction of the property they claim they already own. Or at least participate in the bidding. I can't see this actually stopping the sale, but its a possibility.

from the article:

Attorney Ruben Acosta, representing the city, argued that Silver Stallion did try to submit a bid in the auction, but it failed to post the required $250,000 deposit.

Sounds like the challenger doesn't have the money.

#12 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

Readers' Digest version:

Company A offered $20m they didn't have for Silverdome, wanted public money for imporvements, wouldn't participate in public auction after losing most of their comitments in the collapse, read about Company B's low winning bid in the paper, decided they could beat that and decided to sue.

And Detroit still probably isn't getting an MLS club.

#13 dabull

dabull

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

Readers' Digest version:

Company A offered $20m they didn't have for Silverdome, wanted public money for imporvements, wouldn't participate in public auction after losing most of their comitments in the collapse, read about Company B's low winning bid in the paper, decided they could beat that and decided to sue.

And Detroit still probably isn't getting an MLS club.

Detroit sucks

#14 firefan1998

firefan1998

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

It's no secret that I'm a lifelong Red Wings fan.

boo! :cheers:

#15 tonyni

tonyni

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire!

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:32 AM

It's no secret that I'm a lifelong Red Wings fan. And I have a lot of good friends in Detroit who would be very, very excited to see this happen...

That being said: fuck them and the horse they *might* ride in on. It's going to be fun taking over their stadium. I've been considering making a U.P. banner like my avatar, and it'd be incredibly sweet to fly it over Pontiac.

:cheers:

I figured I was the only wings fan here. And the UP is awesome, it was the best part of college (sure as hell wasn't the classes :lol: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users