70 replies to this topic

#16 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Watching practice 1 online. My God the cars are ugly from the front view.

#17 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

Wow, you are right. The small rear wings look terrible.

Everyone is having problems with handling. None of these guys know how to drive with slicks in Australia. I fear that the race is going to be filled with incidents. I hope not, but if 2nd practice session is any indication, then it's going to be ugly.

The Ferrari's are 1 second off the front runner's pace, and the McLaren's are nearly 2 seconds off. I think the restrictions that were placed on testing really impacted teams like McLaren and Ferrari.

I miss the days of teams going out and spending as much as they wanted on development. You always new the cars were going to perform to the utmost every race. Now, it's just a matter of learning how to drive again. Ecclestone and Mosley suck.

Ali will be happy, Rubens was second in the second practice session, driving for Brawn.

We'll see what happens come race time.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Twitter: BigTony_42

#18 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy Arsenal

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:32 AM

I'm so happy Brawn bought out Honda as Rubens has a team now. I'd just like him to podium once this year but those days are long gone.

As for Saturday, Im really looking forward to seeing how the new rule changes do affect the drivers when they're going all out (although I suspect not much will change, but hopefully I'm wrong)

#19 AboutaSith

AboutaSith

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Interests:Football, Football, Football! Film, Music - listening and concert going, Baseball, Ice Hockey.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Liverpool, St Mirren

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

Those small wings too look stoopid!

team breakdowns
You have the capacity to learn from your mistakes. You will learn a lot today.
C'mon the Galaxy!
Liverpool for the Premier League,FA Cup & League Cup!
St Mirren for a top half finish in the SPL!
C'mon Angels!
Google+

#20 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

Finally, the day is here! The return of Formula has been bestowed upon us! Posted Image

#21 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

I know this is probably the only time this will happen this year, but BRAWN 1-2!!! Rubens podiums with Button winning. Fun race to watch (although the cautions at the end killed it).

#22 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

#23 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

I cant believe that I actually stayed up till 4 am waiting for the delay to finish, but I did. It was pouring buckets out there. Brawn and Toyota continue to dominate and Jenson has become England's new motorsport hero. Rubens placed 5th in what should have been a podium finish had they run another two laps as he was just coming out of the pits. But I'll be the first to say I really enjoy when Mother Nature plays tricks on everyone.

Ferrari and McLaren really need to stop bitching about this diffuser situation and get back to the wind tunnels. Brawn and Toyota are going to run away with the championship and the manufacturers cup.

#24 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Can anyone explain to me how the rear diffuser works to improve airflow and down force? I look at pictures of the Brawn diffuser and the Ferrari diffuser and I don't really see the difference. What should I be looking for? What makes the Brawn diffuser superior?

Moemar? English woman (West Brom fan) who hates the Riot Squad? Anyone?

#25 Moemar

Moemar

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:55 AM

I haven't been able to find the official rules on diffusers, so I don't know what Brawn is doing to gain an unfair advantage. All I've read is it has something to do with "holes", but holes can be used in a lot of different ways, so without the rules, I don't know in what way they're being used to break the rules. Diffusers (in this application at least) decrease drag by straightening the airflow to decrease drag from crossflow and vortices, and by blending the air from above the car with the air below the car more smoothly to reduce the creation of a turbulent wake (like that area of swirly water behind a paddle/oar). Also, if you do it correctly, a diffuser can -- in conjunction with the aerodynamics of the rest of the car -- increase the speed of the airflow underneath the car, thus decreasing the pressure and creating a net downforce.

If you want more detail, talk to me in person. Going into detail online is a pain in the ass.

#26 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

Brawn diffuser declared legal

Posted Image

I wonder how quickly all of the other teams will be ready with their own diffuser. Renault has said they will have one to test at the Chinese GP.

#27 ramsessalmeron

ramsessalmeron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

Brawn diffuser declared legal

Posted Image

I wonder how quickly all of the other teams will be ready with their own diffuser. Renault has said they will have one to test at the Chinese GP.

I was able to find this

3.12.6:

No bodywork which is visible from beneath the car and which lies between the rear wheel centre line and a point 350mm rearward of it may be more than 175mm above the reference plane.

This rule says that across its width the diffuser, from the rear wheel centre line to 350mm rearward of it, must not be more than 175mm in height. A look at the same rule in 2008 reveals an exclusion for a central channel which can be 300mm wide.

3.10.4 No part of the car between 75mm and 355mm from the car centre line may be more than 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line

3.10.6 No part of the car more than 375mm from the car centre line may be more than 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line.

Teams can run a central section provided it is no more than 150mm wide and, at a point 350mm behind the rear axle, it is no more than 175mm tall. Moreover, this central section can extend up to 400mm in height (although in practice the rear crash structure and tail light are competing for some of this space).

#28 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

With all the Hamilton talk of leaving McLaren and Rubens possibly retiring after this year, I really dont wanna see that jackass jump ship to Brawn. Let him rot at Mclaren until he stops being a primadonna

#29 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Great weekend for Red Bull Racing. Vettel & Weber finish 1-2. The rain really screwed things up. The first 10 laps were behind the safety car. Yes it was needed, but boy did that screw up some teams' strategy. For example, Alonso qualified 2nd with an extremely light fuel load and likely planned to do 5 laps on the the super-softs, pit for a heavy fuel load and go nearly the full race on a set of the main tire. The rain made that strategy fly out the window (it likely would have worked for him and he would have had a chance to win). Considering the strategies teams were setting up with, I think the rain messed up the race. It probably would have been a lot more exciting in the dry. Oh well, not much one can do when mother nature doesn't cooperate.

On another note, the FIA is mandating Bridgestone bring to the track a good tire (the hard compound) and a crappy one (the super-soft). They say it will help to make the racing more exciting. By giving people shitty tires and endangering drivers lives? On Friday and Saturday the super-softs were flying apart on a lot of drivers cars. No one had a blow out, but I can easily see that happening in racing conditions if a team tries to push the tire for one extra lap. Heck, Alonso's tires were flying apart after 2 laps. 2 laps? I thought F1 was supposed to be going green (the supposed reason of KERS), how is forcing the use of a tire that can only handle a few laps green? Max and Bernie need to be ousted. They are killing the sport.
[/rant]

#30 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

The super softs from Friday were crumbling apart during practice. The camera zooming in would show how much of the compound had fallen off. I like rain racing Anthony, it makes for more exciting racing and strategy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users