28 replies to this topic

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Surprised this not on the board yet. If it is, my apologies.

https://www.nbcnews....league-n1264450

Is it a money grab that will hurt teams not included?

Will Fifa and Uefa ever approve this?

Will supporters go along with this money grab?

6 guaranteed England teams seem a bit much. No Bayern.

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

These teams would assuredly get kicked out of both domestic and Champs leagues, and FIFA already said any player who is involved would be banned from the World Cup and Euro Cup. I doubt any of the tier 1 stars would risk missing out on the international tourneys, and the remaining players don't have enough clout to generate enough $$ to compensate for the loss of the domestic/Champs leagues. Seems pretty much DOA to me.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

These teams would assuredly get kicked out of both domestic and Champs leagues, and FIFA already said any player who is involved would be banned from the World Cup and Euro Cup. I doubt any of the tier 1 stars would risk missing out on the international tourneys, and the remaining players don't have enough clout to generate enough $$ to compensate for the loss of the domestic/Champs leagues. Seems pretty much DOA to me.

I don't know. I'll preface this by saying, if I had to bet on it, it's not happening. Additionally, I hate the idea. 

However, I don't think we should underestimate how much power these clubs yield over their respective leagues. Getting kicked out of Champions League is kind of irrelevant, as this would effectively be the "new" Champions League. The respective domestic leagues may be talking a big game at the onset, but they need these clubs. What is the EPL if it loses it's "Big 6"? To me, this is UEFA vs. the Super League. FIFA and the respective leagues are currently standing in solidarity with UEFA, but they don't have as much on the line in standing firm, in my eyes. I think it'll depend on if this alliance stays strong or if you begin to see some fracturing. I also think these clubs are too smart to just put themselves out there like this, only for it to blow up in spectacular fashion almost immediately. I believe we're going to see a real, long term fight. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

FIFA already said any player who is involved would be banned from the World Cup and Euro Cup.

Expect litigation from players who may be affected.
Ultimately, rulings from the Court of Arbitration for Sport
https://en.m.wikiped...ation_for_Sport
and European Court of Human Rights:
https://en.m.wikiped...of_Human_Rights

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I also think these clubs are too smart to just put themselves out there like this, only for it to blow up in spectacular fashion almost immediately.

Never underestimate the unbridled hubris of a billionaire with a liquidity problem.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Don't care either way, but I am loving the anguish I'm seeing from Eurosnobs and their boot lickers. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

I could see a point being reached where the 15 permanent Super League teams stop caring about their domestic league, assuming they aren't thrown out.  Their place in the domestic league is irrelevant, and the Super League will be where the money is.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

With the tremendous infusion of cash that all Super League teams will receive, it would be nice if they made tickets affordable.  It would buy the teams some much needed goodwill.  It won't happen, though. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

https://www.nbcnews....league-n1264450
6 guaranteed England teams seem a bit much. 

It appears to me that the 6 largest clubs in Italy & Spain are the major movers.
The British press has turned on the American owners of the EPL clubs.
FIFA is completely corrupt, UEFA less so.
What right does either have to eject clubs or ban players?
Looks like the new SL will file the first lawsuits,
especially if UEFA seeks to eject 5 of the 8 semi-finalists from this seasons CL & EL.
https://www.cbssport...on-and-updates/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

The proposed structure is blatantly unfair.

Suppose guaranteed teams are G1-G15, and temporary teams are T1-T5. Now if T1-T5 all finish in the top 15 of the standings, who gets relegated? It should be the bottom 5 teams, but they are all guaranteed. Theoretically, the top 5 teams could get relegated if T1-T5 finish at the top.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

The proposed structure is blatantly unfair.

Suppose guaranteed teams are G1-G15, and temporary teams are T1-T5. Now if T1-T5 all finish in the top 15 of the standings, who gets relegated? It should be the bottom 5 teams, but they are all guaranteed. Theoretically, the top 5 teams could get relegated if T1-T5 finish at the top.

Technically no one would get relegated; T1-T5 just wouldn't be invited back if they didn't qualify again through whatever system they implement.

What that turns into is a permanent underclass if the finances end up being as good as they claim they will (I have some doubts about that). You'll have 15 teams earning hundreds of millions per year, and then 5 who get a piece of the pie once. So those 5 teams either immediately spend themselves into extinction for one season of competitiveness, or they pocket the money and get annihilated.

This is just such a dumb, shortsighted idea, from top to bottom.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Trying to figure out what happens if these Super League teams continue to play in their domestic leagues.  They don't have to qualify for the ESL, so the difference between finishing 4th or 5th in the Premier League is irrelevant.  But will winning their domestic league still matter to these clubs, when the real prize is winning the ESL?  With the infusion of cash, they could just buy more players and essentially field two teams, the A team in the Super League and the B team in the domestic league.  Take it one step further, the B team would basically be a farm team or a developmental team, who's real mission is to develop players for the big team in the Super League.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Top clubs already have enough players in their squads to field different teams in different competitions.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Well, I think that a lot of big teams now maybe carry 1.5 teams worth of players, and will rotate when the schedule is congested.

But if the money that is at stake in the ESL is going to be so great, and the domestic league becomes less meaningful, would the big teams actually acquire two rosters worth of players?  One weaker team for the domestic league and a totally different roster for the ESL.  Sort of like Bayern in the Bundesliga and Bayern II in the 3 Bundesliga.

Chelsea could do it right now by simply recalling all of its players that are out on loan.  It would be a poor Premier League team, and might get relegated.  But would Chelsea care about the Premier League anymore?

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Don't care either way, but I am loving the anguish I'm seeing from Eurosnobs and their boot lickers. 

I don't care either way cause I only watch Champions league here and there and have 0 rooting interest but it's funny seeing the Eurosnobs who won't support their local MLS team now basically have to deal with an MLS type model if this goes through lols

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users