#19 Steve the Arsonist

Steve the Arsonist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Shef. Utd., Hbrg City Islndrs

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

I don't look like any 24 year-old you've ever seen.

I would hope.

#20 FireHearts91

FireHearts91

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Supports:Heart of Midlothian, Chicago Fire

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

What about Mark Viduka, he's a free agent as well

#21 MDSCIan

MDSCIan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Chelsea

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

One ancient forward is not enough?

#22 Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

No, he doesn't really look like Mark Viduka either...

#23 firefan1998

firefan1998

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

we might as well see if romario will come and play too.

#24 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

Based on Klopas' comments, John is essentially coming in for an extended trial during preseason (possibly while under contract), and the Fire will make sure he's committed and ready.

http://www.chicagono...lated-risk.html

But despite his baggage and loss of form, it seems as if Technical Director Frank Klopas and the Fire are willing to give John a chance at making the 2010 roster.

"I've met with Collins and we know he's a quality player," Klopas said. "He's had some issues the last couple of years which I know of and that is important. In this league with the salary cap you have to take calculated risks to make sure you make the right decisions. Our goal is to bring him into camp and give him an opportunity to see how he fits in and make a decision at that time."

Klopas has spoken to McBride about John, who he would likely pair with up top should the Fire bring the Dutchman to Chicago.

"I've spoken to Brian about him and I've spoken to [former Fire defender and John's ex-teammate Carlos Bocanegra] about him," Klopas said. "You have to understand when he was at Fulham he was a very young player. He had a lot of success but as a young player things do happen. I think it's important to have the right people around you, to guide you in the right direction."

"But he's a guy that's 24 years old. We're not talking about a guy that's 30 or 31. He's played at a high level and it's important to make sure that he understands that's what we need out of him here."

If Klopas determines that John has his head screwed on tight and is determined to play hard for the Fire, then I am all for bringing him into the fold. But should John join the Fire in preseason training and not show anything but hard work and pure dedication, Klopas should just say goodbye. The Fire just can't afford - financially or in terms of chemistry - to have a player on the roster not be fully committed to bringing a MLS Cup back to Chicago next year.

#25 Steve the Arsonist

Steve the Arsonist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Shef. Utd., Hbrg City Islndrs

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:39 AM

Given John's history and all, it sounds like Frank is taking an exceptionally logical approach to this.
I like sound reasoning, at least when I see it excercised by others.

#26 m311ton

m311ton

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

Just can't get excited about this one. I guess the club is managing the risk pretty well though. Situation seems pretty straight forward. If the trial does not go well, do you think we will bring in anyone else?

#27 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

My gut is these are our three offseason signings, aside draft picks and any internal league pickups we might make (like Prideaux and Ward were).

But I think we'll get a new DP after the World Cup (but likely announced before, maybe April/May).

#28 goldstone97

goldstone97

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Albion, Red Stars

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

Just can't get excited about this one. I guess the club is managing the risk pretty well though. Situation seems pretty straight forward. If the trial does not go well, do you think we will bring in anyone else?

I don't know what's out there, but one would think if they're willing to potentially take a risk on Collins John (and it also sounds to me like Frank's taking a sensible approach), they do think we need another forward.

Right now, we have two proven MLS-starting forwards on the roster for 2010 (McBride and Nyarko). That's not enough in my view.
Section 8 Chicago Chair

WB05 :: Pitch Invasion

#29 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

I don't know what's out there, but one would think if they're willing to potentially take a risk on Collins John (and it also sounds to me like Frank's taking a sensible approach), they do think we need another forward.

Right now, we have two proven MLS-starting forwards on the roster for 2010 (McBride and Nyarko). That's not enough in my view.

By the World Cup we should find if we even need a DP. If the team can gel by then and barring no major injuries we will take the treble.
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users