5 replies to this topic

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If we rebranded to anything that wasnt based around Metro, Id question the ability of the people making that decision.

Yeah - Metro is a unique name and it's used and pronounceable in just about every language. 

RB I think screwed up by not calling the team RB Metro.

Only alternate I could see is Cosmos - it just has that 70s vibe that I could see intrigues an ownership group. I was thinking the other day, what about Comisario buys the team, just to become a voting member in MLS and pushes from the inside for pro/rel. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I was thinking the other day, what about Comisario buys the team, just to become a voting member in MLS and pushes from the inside for pro/rel. 

I bet his stance on Pro/Rel would change a little if he spent $500M on a team in MLS.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I bet his stance on Pro/Rel would change a little if he spent $500M on a team in MLS.

I don't know. It wouldn't be the first time he planned to put $500M on the line... Rocco Commisso's proposal denied by U.S. Soccer; NASL not giving up legal fight - SBI Soccer

I know little about him beyond he is local, he's rich, he loves soccer...  

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

In an effort to get another split... What about rebrand as "Our New Thread"

Clark O.N.T. - Wikipedia

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I don't know. It wouldn't be the first time he planned to put $500M on the line... Rocco Commisso's proposal denied by U.S. Soccer; NASL not giving up legal fight - SBI Soccer

Those are two different things. The $500M you linked to would be an investment that he thought could pay off. Investing $500M in an MLS team and then pushing for a Pro/Rel system that could only hurt his investment because of the chance of relegation (USL teams earn less than MLS teams) is a little crazy. The upside of Pro/Rel lifting MLS financially to mitigate the risk is not really there.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Rocco is never investing in soccer in the USA beyond what he's already spent on the Cosmos. He hates the way the sport is run in this country. He thought he was going to buy the Cosmos and force MLS and USSF to accept promotion/relegation. Either that or he thought the NASL could grow to rival MLS. Now that he's sued both, there's no way he's welcomed into MLS. Plus, he spent $150-200 million to buy Fiorentina in Italy in 2019 after shutting the Cosmos down. He's not competing with that interest by purchasing an MLS or USL franchise. The Cosmos were just a very inexpensive toy / pawn for him. At some point he'll sell the brand to a new ownership group that wants the name...that's the only way it'll live on again in any meaningful way. Sad for their serious supporters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users