725 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

i don't see us making any big splashes this year or next. expect more jorgensen level signings while the PATH weekend situation gets resolved.

If we can barely fill 18k seats with Zlatan's first appearance in town, then it seems like a waste to spend millions on a marquee player if no one will show up to watch.

chicken, egg

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Alexis Sanchez, Man Utd are doing everything they can to get him out. He's gonna demand a higher wage than what Euro clubs are willing to pay, since he is past his prime (and also a bit of a dick).

This checks off literally every box for a magic singing everyone is clamoring for.

Big name player

South American

Winger/Forward

Difference Maker

RB, City and the LA's are the only teams who could afford him. Thoughts?

A LOT will depend on how he performs during the Copa America this summer. There's some interest in him if United are willing to pay half but a huge performance in June reminding everyone of the old Alexis Sanchez suddenly drums up a lot of interest. I'm not sure why Man Utd is so quick to get rid of him. His value can't go any lower than it is now (barring injury) and it could only go up with a great performance in Copa America. Either way, I just can't see us paying for his services. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

WHY? 

he's still a stud even as old as he is... People act like Metro has the Roster that Man City or Chelsea or Liverpool have...

This roster has guys that of they went to Roma tomorrow wouldn't even make the match day roster.. Yet De Rossi was still out there handling business....

Same for Ribery... I want Ribery and Robben ans De Rossi... Next someone is gonna sy they'd rather start Etienne or Omir over Ribery or Robben?!?!
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

i don't see us making any big splashes this year or next. expect more jorgensen level signings while the PATH weekend situation gets resolved.

If we can barely fill 18k seats with Zlatan's first appearance in town, then it seems like a waste to spend millions on a marquee player if no one will show up to watch.

I said elsewhere that I was terrified that they would use the PATH situation as an excuse to explain away all the empty seats instead of addressing the real reasons for it that have been repeatedly discussed here. Do they have enough foresight to see that if they phone it in for the next few years when the day comes that PATH service is back to normal the fanbase will have been completely disintegrated?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Yet De Rossi was still out there handling business....

Same for Ribery... I want Ribery and Robben ans De Rossi... Next someone is gonna sy they'd rather start Etienne or Omir over Ribery or Robben?!?!

We have different definitions of handling business. The track record shows that older guys who you can't categorize as athletic anymore don't cut it in this league. De Rossi's legs have gone. Once that goes he's got nothing left.

No Etienne and Omir are obviously not better but there is something to be said to for sticking to your philosophy of building and developing your youth. When foreign clubs do it we applaud them but when we try we have to spend on a retread who can't stay healthy. Robben and RIbery can't stay on the field any longer for a prolonged period of time. Robben may still have something left in the tank to contribute in the Dutch league but to get him here he ain't coming cheap. And there's a reason that Ribery is being linked to play in the middle east and Australia. We should be more creative with our signings. Not sitting on our hands either that's where our frustration lies. But we say hell no to any older guy coming here for one last payday. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

We have different definitions of handling business. The track record shows that older guys who you can't categorize as athletic anymore don't cut it in this league. De Rossi's legs have gone. Once that goes he's got nothing left.

No Etienne and Omir are obviously not better but there is something to be said to for sticking to your philosophy of building and developing your youth. When foreign clubs do it we applaud them but when we try we have to spend on a retread who can't stay healthy. Robben and RIbery can't stay on the field any longer for a prolonged period of time. Robben may still have something left in the tank to contribute in the Dutch league but to get him here he ain't coming cheap. And there's a reason that Ribery is being linked to play in the middle east and Australia. We should be more creative with our signings. Not sitting on our hands either that's where our frustration lies. But we say hell no to any older guy coming here for one last payday. 

i like how you think... I hope they make moves.. It is very possible to find those signings that tick off all the boxes and that will deliver...
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

Im open if they want to come for reasonable money that wont put a massive strain on the cap like younger studs like Ivan and Jorgenson are. I wish we had a Peguey Lulandula (sp) type option in midfield to bring off the bench and offer some experience to this squad.

5 year plan

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Atlanta has waived first round pick and our former U23 standout, Anderson Asiedu. Would LOVE to see him back here starting with the USL team.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Atlanta has waived first round pick and our former U23 standout, Anderson Asiedu. Would LOVE to see him back here starting with the USL team.

Wow great story on this kid
Positive mentions when he was signed
Upgraded from Momouth to UCLA and according to article trained with Vela who told Bradley to sign him
Hope he follows the Long path

Any idea why we didnt sign him?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Wow great story on this kid
Positive mentions when he was signed
Upgraded from Momouth to UCLA and according to article trained with Vela who told Bradley to sign him
Hope he follows the Long path

Any idea why we didnt sign him?

Was only a U23 player, not an academy kid so not HGP eligible. Loebe was also highly rated, so I am not surprised we took Loebe two spots before he went off the board. His size may be an issue. He played decent for ATL2, but wasn't overly impressive.

@CurseofCaricola

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

do we think the team will reach out and bring him in for an extended trial or sommingk? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

do we think the team will reach out and bring him in for an extended trial or sommingk? 

I do. Unless, he asked to leave due to being loaned out to the USL team and he feels he could be contributing to a first team elsewhere.

And as much as I'd like to believe they would want to bring him in to the USL team, I also thought they would give Borges the Lema/Metzger treatment.

@CurseofCaricola

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
What happen to justin glad and Joa plata?

I am suprised that they were in the bench. If rsl doesn't value them, then rbny should look into getting them

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
Plata is supposed to be traded to a LigaMX team soon.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Plata too inconsistent and too expensive. He'll probably get a better contract in Mexico anyway and RSL will get some dollars for him. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users