35 replies to this topic

We'reYourFamous

We'reYourFamous

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Call me a eurosnob or whatever, but in all honesty I like watching the best play the best. I support the Red Bulls because thats my local club... when MLS was started way back in 96 the league and players sucked... the rules were completely different, and quite frankly I completely tuned out. I gave it another go in 2000 or so, but again the league and players sucked! I finally decided over the last year or so to give it an honest go, and you know what? The league no longer sucks, the players are much better, and we now actually have players that can truly play the "beautiful game" and there is some technical ability and flashes of brilliant play. Are we on level with the top leagues.. No not by a longshot, but we are heading that way!! I still watch EPL more on TV than MLS except when NYRB is playing (different seasons) so doesn't really compete. My mother is from the UK so of course I kinda of have a snobbery toward all things British (except bad teeth) and I kinda of think that MLS should pattern itself after the best league.. so if that makes me a eurosnob so be it. I dress European, drive European automobiles, and prefer European food (note not British except meat pies) lol.... However, I prefer being an American and wouldn't trade it for the world.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Call me a eurosnob or whatever, but in all honesty I like watching the best play the best. I support the Red Bulls because thats my local club... when MLS was started way back in 96 the league and players sucked... the rules were completely different, and quite frankly I completely tuned out. I gave it another go in 2000 or so, but again the league and players sucked! I finally decided over the last year or so to give it an honest go, and you know what? The league no longer sucks, the players are much better, and we now actually have players that can truly play the "beautiful game" and there is some technical ability and flashes of brilliant play. Are we on level with the top leagues.. No not by a longshot, but we are heading that way!! I still watch EPL more on TV than MLS except when NYRB is playing (different seasons) so doesn't really compete. My mother is from the UK so of course I kinda of have a snobbery toward all things British (except bad teeth) and I kinda of think that MLS should pattern itself after the best league.. so if that makes me a eurosnob so be it. I dress European, drive European automobiles, and prefer European food (note not British except meat pies) lol.... However, I prefer being an American and wouldn't trade it for the world.

I just got back from London... struck me as very american... their clothing stores, their music, their tv, their movies... same shit, different accent.

We'reYourFamous

We'reYourFamous

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I just got back from London... struck me as very american... their clothing stores, their music, their tv, their movies... same shit, different accent.

your right pretty much.... :cheers:

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Went there a few months ago... and yes, it is. But... London is not New York nor will it ever be.

Comparing large cosmopolitan cities... they are all similar.

I'm sure if you went to Birmingham, Blackpool, Leeds, Petersborough, or Kettering... you would have a much different experience.

Pet peeve of mine is when people tell me they went to England... when they only went to London.

You need to dig deeper within a place than its largest city in order to get a real feel of the country.

Sort of like assuming NYC, Columbus, and Salt Lake City are one and the same.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Went there a few months ago... and yes, it is. But... London is not New York nor will it ever be.

Comparing large cosmopolitan cities... they are all similar.

I'm sure if you went to Birmingham, Blackpool, Leeds, Petersborough, or Kettering... you would have a much different experience.

Pet peeve of mine is when people tell me they went to England... when they only went to London.

You need to dig deeper within a place than its largest city in order to get a real feel of the country.

Sort of like assuming NYC, Columbus, and Salt Lake City are one and the same.

I've been to more places than London in the UK

From Bristol to Aberdeen, their culture isn't too far off from our own. Of course there are major differences though.

NYC is the best city in the world, nothing compares. But it all def felt very familiar... I mean you can walk down the street in Liverpool and you still see Gap, Starbucks, etc etc... they even have a theater doing Jersey Boys.

*** splitting the topic on me, mid-reply

We'reYourFamous

We'reYourFamous

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I've been to more places than London in the UK

From Bristol to Aberdeen, their culture isn't too far off from our own. Of course there are major differences though.

NYC is the best city in the world, nothing compares. But it all def felt very familiar... I mean you can walk down the street in Liverpool and you still see Gap, Starbucks, etc etc... they even have a theater doing Jersey Boys.

*** splitting the topic on me, mid-reply

The same can be said for Bangkok, Saigon, Tokyo, Beijing, Paris, Rome, Milan, etc, etc., etc.... American products and cultural influence is world wide, but differences certainly abound. Yes I have been to all those places so i'm speaking from first hand experience... However, as similar as they may be I don't think you could compare East London to anywhere but East London... just saying.

hoboken16

hoboken16

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Pompey
To me a Eurosnob means that you wouldn't give MLS a second look and since you gave it a third look I don't consider you a eurosnob. Nothing wrong with watching high quality games I take days off to watch Champions league

C'Mon U.S.!

C'Mon U.S.!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Supports:West Ham, USMNT

that's because 1/2 the stuff we have here comes form there..

tv: the office, americas got talent (w.e. it is called here), little britain USA...they all started in the UK. I think the next show to come over here will be "The IT Crowd". If you have netflix you can get it on instant streaming. it's fucking hilarious.

clothing styles start there then come here. i forst saw cardigans when i was in england like 4 years ago. i thought they style was nice, so came back here and I couldnt find one store that that sold them. 2 1/2 years later every store has them.
COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chim chiminy chim chiminy chim chim charoo!
we are those bastards in claret and blue!

C'Mon U.S.!

C'Mon U.S.!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Supports:West Ham, USMNT

I dress European, drive European automobiles, and prefer European food (note not British except meat pies) lol.... However, I prefer being an American and wouldn't trade it for the world.

i dress pretty European, too.

People always think I'm gay. i don't know why.
COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chim chiminy chim chiminy chim chim charoo!
we are those bastards in claret and blue!

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

People always think I'm gay. i don't know why.

maybe it's because you hang out with these guys

Posted Image

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

that's because 1/2 the stuff we have here comes form there..

tv: the office, americas got talent (w.e. it is called here), little britain USA...they all started in the UK. I think the next show to come over here will be "The IT Crowd". If you have netflix you can get it on instant streaming. it's fucking hilarious.

clothing styles start there then come here. i forst saw cardigans when i was in england like 4 years ago. i thought they style was nice, so came back here and I couldnt find one store that that sold them. 2 1/2 years later every store has them.

no doubt it's a two way street, I'm not necessarily saying that one influences the other more, I'm just saying that similarities abound.

And whoever said that "so is Bangkok".... come on, they have mcdonalds and american movies, but the cultural differences between americans and thai people are astronomically greater than the differences between americans and brits. we share a past, genetics.

on completely different note, nice to see we're starting to work on one of the biggest stereotypes against us: http://www.globalpos...at-top-10-obese

and I don't know what the fuck you're talking about with cardigans.. I've been rocking cardigans since I was in middle school.

We'reYourFamous

We'reYourFamous

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

This explains england's dozens of world cups.

they have 1 more than the US and have at least been to the finals and semifinals a few times.. how many times can we say that about the US? I think we finished 3rd the first year in 1930.. try again.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I think the next show to come over here will be "The IT Crowd". If you have netflix you can get it on instant streaming. it's fucking hilarious.

Cardigans have been here in the States for ages. Teachers at schools I've attended wore 'em.

I saw The IT Crowd. It's all right. I thought the episode when they went to the Arsenal match was slightly funny. I'll take "The Fast Show" and Rolly Berkins, QC any day of the week.

Posted Image

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

they have 1 more than the US and have at least been to the finals and semifinals a few times.. how many times can we say that about the US? I think we finished 3rd the first year in 1930.. try again.

and England's still overrated.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars

And how many "drogba's" were in the 1st division in 1966 or in 1990 (the only time england were in the final, and only times in the semis)?

try again, it's entertaining.
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users