224 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

NE has a terrible stadium situation and awful owner and DC plays in a stadium that should've been condemned years ago. The scumbag Crew owner bought them specifically to get a team cheap and move them. I hope he drowns in a puddle of ebola. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Crew own their stadium? Say they draw 13k a game, with the puny cap how can they lose significant money when the second biggest financial concern of a team (rent of building) is $0? It makes no sense.

They do own the stadium but they are drawing less than 10k a game and it still costs money to run the stadium even if it's a shitty one.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

They do own the stadium but they are drawing less than 10k a game and it still costs money to run the stadium even if it's a shitty one.

But if you recall your history them and Dallas were for a time among the most financially viable teams in the league because they owned their own stadiums despite drawing far less than they do now. And don't give the scumbag owner a pass. He clearly bought the team to move it and never tried to build the market. In fact he did the exact opposite (like instead of putting games on FS Ohio he put them on a channel that most of the people in the area don't get).
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

But if you recall your history them and Dallas were for a time among the most financially viable teams in the league because they owned their own stadiums despite drawing far less than they do now. And don't give the scumbag owner a pass. He clearly bought the team to move it and never tried to build the market. In fact he did the exact opposite (like instead of putting games on FS Ohio he put them on a channel that most of the people in the area don't get).

I don't like the crew or their fans enough to be outraged over this. They had a winning season this year and are in the playoffs and could possibly finish 2nd in the conference, maybe the fans should have showed up.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Things like this in professional sports piss me off. Teams are part of their communities and moving them is like ripping a piece out of people's lives. I would hate for this situation to happen to anyone (except DC.)

If they're getting under 10k a game, they aren't much a part of the community

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Yes because if you own a soccer team with one of the nicest stadiums in the country located 18 minutes from downtown Manhattan the smart thing is to move the team to Oklahoma. Everyone knows that.

The stadium is about an hour away from the World Trade Center on weekends.

10 min usually waiting + 30 minute ride (slower on weekends) + 10 minute walk to stadium.

Also stop with the sickening coat hanger abortion jokes. They were never funny.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

The stadium is about an hour away from the World Trade Center on weekends.

10 min usually waiting + 30 minute ride (slower on weekends) + 10 minute walk to stadium.

Also stop with the sickening coat hanger abortion jokes. They were never funny.

The PATH schedule says 18 minutes. Also NJ Transit will get you to Newark and a short bus to the game in roughly that time. Oh, and I'll do whatever jokes I want. To quote Jim Cornette: Thank you very little, you're welcome even less!

Edit: Your idea that we could ever leave is at the level of lunacy not even JonnyG ever reached. MLS is not moving a team out of the NY area, particularly one with its own beautiful stadium. We are just about as stable a team as humanly possible. Why do you think the Islanders are still around despite everything that has happened with them? Answer: Gary Bettman will let a NY team move over his dead body.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Cities with 300k in population have historically shown that they are capable of maintaining sports team. In the united states, there are 66 cities that meet that requirement. If mls focuses on building up their regional rivalries it should boost attendance in many of these markets To say that columbus, a city of 860k and 14th largest city in the united states cannot support a soccer is crazy talk. The city has a healthy economy and has a decent growth rate. Austin deserves a team but moving an existing team is just wrong

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

The PATH schedule says 18 minutes. Also NJ Transit will get you to Newark and a short bus to the game in roughly that time. Oh, and I'll do whatever jokes I want. To quote Jim Cornette: Thank you very little, you're welcome even less!

Edit: Your idea that we could ever leave is at the level of lunacy not even JonnyG ever reached. MLS is not moving a team out of the NY area, particularly one with its own beautiful stadium. We are just about as stable a team as humanly possible. Why do you think the Islanders are still around despite everything that has happened with them? Answer: Gary Bettman will let a NY team move over his dead body.

The PATH schedule (if the game is a weekend) says 33 minutes from WTC to Harrison. Unlike on weekdays it stops and sits in Journal Square before continuing onward, hence the added time. And you still have to walk and wait for a train to arrive when you get on and off. The only way you can make it to the stadium under 45 minutes via PATH from WTC is if you get on the train and it leaves the minute you step through the doors and you walk quickly once getting off the stop.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
COWlumbus moving to Austin opens the door for Cincinnati and Detroit to get the next couple of expansion slots.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

The PATH schedule (if the game is a weekend) says 33 minutes from WTC to Harrison. Unlike on weekdays it stops and sits in Journal Square before continuing onward, hence the added time. And you still have to walk and wait for a train to arrive when you get on and off. The only way you can make it to the stadium under 45 minutes via PATH from WTC is if you get on the train and it leaves the minute you step through the doors and you walk quickly once getting off the stop.

How long does it take you to get to Yankee Stadium, or MSG, for comparison sake

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

How long does it take you to get to Yankee Stadium, or MSG, for comparison sake

from Fulton St taking the 4 it takes roughly 25 minutes to get to YS. And of course that's if there isn't track work delays. Speaking of trains here's a good one: the 7 train this weekend isn't running from Grand Central to Queensboro Plaza. So if you are a blood money FC fan and don't live in Queens have fun getting to the match!
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

He clearly bought the team to move it and never tried to build the market. In fact he did the exact opposite (like instead of putting games on FS Ohio he put them on a channel that most of the people in the area don't get).

I know we are having this conversation in two spots but since this is wrong it has to be posted here too...

This tv deal was fixed before last season even began

http://www.dispatch....25-crew-tv.html

The deal replaces a maligned, two-year agreement with Time Warner Cable that limited viewership to those with access to TWC SportsChannel.

This was more than I was expecting, and its great because it was the biggest complaint that we had, said Ben Hoelzel, vice president of the Crew Supporters Union, the clubs biggest organized fan group. The team has done so many things right (since owner Anthony Precourt purchased the team in 2013), but it almost didnt matter because this was hanging over their heads.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

I know we are having this conversation in two spots but since this is wrong it has to be posted here too...

This tv deal was fixed before last season even began

http://www.dispatch....25-crew-tv.html

The deal replaces a maligned, two-year agreement with Time Warner Cable that limited viewership to those with access to TWC SportsChannel.

This was more than I was expecting, and its great because it was the biggest complaint that we had, said Ben Hoelzel, vice president of the Crew Supporters Union, the clubs biggest organized fan group. The team has done so many things right (since owner Anthony Precourt purchased the team in 2013), but it almost didnt matter because this was hanging over their heads.

Fair enough, was unaware that had been resolved. Anthony Precourt is still a flaming bag of dogshit for holding a team for ransom unless taxpayers take money away from hospitals and schools to build him a new stadium
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

How is he holding them for ransom? He's leaving. He's half-way out the door already. He decided on a lame duck season so he can get Austin ready. Whatever he says about a downtown stadium in Columbus is public relations, not ransom.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

How is he holding them for ransom? He's leaving. He's half-way out the door already. He decided on a lame duck season so he can get Austin ready. Whatever he says about a downtown stadium in Columbus is public relations, not ransom.

There is truth to that, but if the city said we'll give you everything you want I think he'd take it. Getting the taxpayer funded pleasure palace is the ultimate goal.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users