2017 replies to this topic

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I mean we took the USOC seriously and got farther than we have in forever. JM is not a perfect coach but reducing tickets is a little dramatic.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

I would recommend that everyone relax a little bit and have a cold one. This game was nothing new for this team. Show of hands: How many people actually expected us to win this one? Probably not many of us. I'm actually impressed by how well Ryan Meara did in this tournament. And it was fun to see our team make such a good run.

I've been a fan of this team for so long that I really don't feel like getting upset about losing anymore. We know what it feels like to win. We no longer have the Curse of Caricola hanging over us. So it's okay to not let yourself feel hurt about this. It really is.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

I mean we took the USOC seriously and got farther than we have in forever. JM is not a perfect coach but reducing tickets is a little dramatic.

Taking out arguably your best player for possibly your worst makes him "not a perfect" coach?  Our offense has been anemic the whole season with a few exceptions.  We sold off our team captain for 400K that we've barely used.  Other teams have improved yet we did not add an impact player.  We did not add a major defender and ours is a sieve..... You get the picture?  I am voting with my wallet.  If others do, that's their choice.  Ultimately, that's the only tool that I have to communicate my feelings to management.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

I would recommend that everyone relax a little bit and have a cold one. This game was nothing new for this team. Show of hands: How many people actually expected us to win this one? Probably not many of us. I'm actually impressed by how well Ryan Meara did in this tournament. And it was fun to see our team make such a good run.

I've been a fan of this team for so long that I really don't feel like getting upset about losing anymore. We know what it feels like to win. We no longer have the Curse of Caricola hanging over us. So it's okay to not let yourself feel hurt about this. It really is.

Impartially looking at it I did not expect to win.  For me it is the manner of losing that has me annoyed.

Zizzo for Lawrence?  I get that Sal has provided good crosses in the past (including against Cinti) but comes with very significant potential D liabilities.  

Route 1 ball against a lock down D?  

I get trying some of that to force them back and perhaps BWP catch one and plants it in the back of the next.  But most of the game was Route 1 until 45-55 with Lawrence maurading down the left.  Need better game plan.  

I would have much rather had no wingback and just add in Veron, Keita or Ettiene to try to press them back and tear them apart. 

Murillo mistake is a bad one but strangely doesn't have me that upset.  He got beat in the air in the semi too.  No pressure on the crosser, wicked cross, bold move by SKC forward. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Taking out arguably your best player for possibly your worst makes him "not a perfect" coach?  Our offense has been anemic the whole season with a few exceptions.  We sold off our team captain for 400K that we've barely used.  Other teams have improved yet we did not add an impact player.  We did not add a major defender and ours is a sieve..... You get the picture?  I am voting with my wallet.  If others do, that's their choice.  Ultimately, that's the only tool that I have to communicate my feelings to management.

I mean he made a bad sub, and has done that before. He's also made good subs, and we've had good success under JM. He's an MLS coach, I don't know what to tell you. No one played good enough, JM didn't coach well enough, and we didn't get it done.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Straight red for Opara? I think his hand ball in the ~ 70th minute should have resulted in one.  What do you think?

(I know with our track record against teams with 10 men would mean we don't even score a goal against SKC).

Just curious.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Footie17

Footie17

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Portugal, Donuts

Straight red for Opara? I think his hand ball in the ~ 70th minute should have resulted in one.  What do you think?

(I know with our track record against teams with 10 men would mean we don't even score a goal against SKC).

Just curious.  

Does anyone have video of this handball? I keep on seeing it referenced, but I don't recall it

Footie17

Footie17

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Portugal, Donuts

Speaking of Opara, the one big IF for me is what if he doesn't pull down BWP at the end? What if BWP actually gets on the end of Tyler's pass? It's not on the level of "what if Abang's shot didn't hit the post in slow motion in the 2015 ECF", but right now it feels like it. 

Either way, great professional foul by Opara. 

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Speaking of Opara, the one big IF for me is what if he doesn't pull down BWP at the end? What if BWP actually gets on the end of Tyler's pass? It's not on the level of "what if Abang's shot didn't hit the post in slow motion in the 2015 ECF", but right now it feels like it. 

Either way, great professional foul by Opara. 

Opara is a beast. I can't believe Besler was the one getting call ups to the USMNT and not Opara. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Just curious.  

74th minute, in the box, on a cross from Veron right before the water break? Not sure that's what you're talking about, but if is, it doesn't seem conclusive if he even touched it. Didn't alter the ball's path, and there were no RB players anywhere close to the ball. Would've been a very harsh call.

The professional foul at the end should have been a red, not that it would've mattered.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I mean he made a bad sub, and has done that before. He's also made good subs, and we've had good success under JM. He's an MLS coach, I don't know what to tell you. No one played good enough, JM didn't coach well enough, and we didn't get it done.

Zizzo for Lawrence is more than a "bad sub".

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Impartially looking at it I did not expect to win.  For me it is the manner of losing that has me annoyed.

I get trying some of that to force them back and perhaps BWP catch one and plants it in the back of the next.  But most of the game was Route 1 until 45-55 with Lawrence maurading down the left.  Need better game plan.. 

Especially considering BWP was taking any of his chances first time.  Every ball that actually got to him, he took a touch with, and ending up giving the D a chance to catch up with him.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I would recommend that everyone relax a little bit and have a cold one.

Sound advice for all situations.

This game was nothing new for this team.

The latest in a long line of disappointments.
TG for those two Shields.
https://www.mlssocce...paign=09212017

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

74th minute, in the box, on a cross from Veron right before the water break? Not sure that's what you're talking about, but if is, it doesn't seem conclusive if he even touched it. Didn't alter the ball's path, and there were no RB players anywhere close to the ball. Would've been a very harsh call.

The professional foul at the end should have been a red, not that it would've mattered.

I remember differnt situation - Opara at ~ 35 through ball to BWP that Opara as the last man put his arm to knock down.  Granted long way from goal but was last man, pro foul.  can't find it in highlights.  Should've been yellow.  TV angle not ref angle showed clear prop foul).  oh well

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I think for a bit Opara was always hit with the injury bug. Always had potential. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users