458 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
Peguy was a guy that almost everyone loved despite his lack of production.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

It was neither of them that came up with that idea.

Assuming it was Titi who made that call. Rightfully so. 

Veron needs to start, there's no reason why Muyl should be starting over him. Very curious to see how the lineup shapes up when everyone is back from Gold Cup and healthy, plus any new additions.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
Peggy had 3 assists in the Chicago supporters shield game, no? What a day at RBA...

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,758 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

The feelings that nite as the TH's volley went in...and all the other goals. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
  • Supports:Metro

People forget that Veron hasn't played that much.  For the life of me, I don't understand why you leave him on the bench.  We have sucked offensively all year.  He's provided a spark and we've exploded for 5 goals in 2 matches in the time he's been on the pitch.  I mean, if not now, when are you gonna give the guy some serious run?

He's totally earned it.  Give him a shot.  

#RedBullOut

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Lets just hope his Hammy holds up. Maybe that's why he never goes 90 minutes. What's the longest stretch he has been healthy since coming here? His speed and willingness to dribble can be useful late in games, so for me, he makes a good super-sub. Ideally at around 75 minute mark.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

People forget that Veron hasn't played that much.  For the life of me, I don't understand why you leave him on the bench.  We have sucked offensively all year.  He's provided a spark and we've exploded for 5 goals in 2 matches in the time he's been on the pitch.  I mean, if not now, when are you gonna give the guy some serious run?

Let's not forget, when he has gotten playing time,  how often he was completely out of synch positionally with the rest of the team, how he often kept his head down and missed the play, and how his pressing and defense were not always up to par.    He seems to have gotten past most of that, but it's certainly taken time.    Meanwhile,  Muyl will press all day and generally knows where he needs to be.    I can imagine in Jesse's chalk talks, Muyl is the brainy teacher's pet, and Veron is the new ESL kid in the back of the class having difficulty paying attention ("Mucho trabajo, Gonzalo, mucho trabajo"), who just wants to get out and play.  I've never questioned his skill or effort... he's just had trouble fitting into the team play for whatever reason

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Do you forget the times he was given a shot, and did nothing? Veron is still a bust, a couple of decent minutes does not change that. There is MAYBE a chance the guy is FINALLY coming around after a couple years, but I've never seen that happen before. I'd love to give the guy a start just to settle this though. Either he goes back to doing nothing like before, or he makes a fool of the (rightfully so) Veron doubters. I'd love for the dude to come out and score a goal every single game down the stretch, I just refuse to get pulled back into this optimistic viewpoint which hasn't paid off the last two years with this guy.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Do you forget the times he was given a shot, and did nothing? Veron is still a bust, a couple of decent minutes does not change that. There is MAYBE a chance the guy is FINALLY coming around after a couple years, but I've never seen that happen before. I'd love to give the guy a start just to settle this though. Either he goes back to doing nothing like before, or he makes a fool of the (rightfully so) Veron doubters. I'd love for the dude to come out and score a goal every single game down the stretch, I just refuse to get pulled back into this optimistic viewpoint which hasn't paid off the last two years with this guy.

He has played minimal minutes ifor over a year, absent a spot start or two.  If we did the same to Holgersson at the beginning as we did to Veron now, we'd have never had a solid CB.  Give the guy a fucking shot.  Ride the hot hand and actually see if you have something.

#RedBullOut

jerzyiroc

jerzyiroc

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

That's factually incorrect though...

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts

I like Veron in the role he's in now.

But so far each time it looked like he was ascending and getting more minutes, he manages to get injured. Gonna be interesting to see if he can even stay healthy, let alone produce.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

Do you forget the times he was given a shot, and did nothing? Veron is still a bust, a couple of decent minutes does not change that.

He played "a couple of decent minutes" weeks ago. Since then he's had impactful minutes, game-changing minutes, game-winning minutes, and minutes where he's shown speedy dribbling playmaker skills totally unique to the team.

His time here has been overall underwhelming, but credit where credit is due.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

in 2017, Veron has played only 189 regular season minutes over 9 matches.  For some perspective, Grella has played just about double the minutes, 362, in just 8 matches and Muyl has over five times the minutes with 1036 across 18 matches.

I understand that Grella and Muyl bring certain things, like positioning, tracking back, and making the safe back or square pass, so I'm not going to argue that Veron is better or should have gotten minutes over either player up to this point.

But if you place any value on your forwards and wingers providing offense maybe Veron has made a strong enough argument for more minutes.  Maybe that's some spot starts and 30 minute sub appearances for BWP, to help keep BWP healthy and rested for the playoffs.  Maybe if they go back to the 4-2-3-1 formation, it's some starts over Muyl on the wing.  Doesn't have to be every match - I'd start Muyl in the Montreal match to help defend Piatti.  Veron's done enough to deserve some more minutes.

Marsch has never given Veron a solid run with the first team to help him gel on the pitch in real matches, everything is about what happens in training.  But the team hasn't really lost a beat when Veron's come in for BWP and they've arguably looked better when he's come on for Muyl.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
Veron has been a great super sub I agree. Let's ride that super sub to MLS Cup. He's not a starter obviously, we've seen that unfortunately.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

It was neither of them that came up with that idea.

Whoops my mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users