57 replies to this topic

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
Hello all.

In the former thread I had started following the RSL game, it was pointed out that the idea of a supporters summit with RedBulls management about the club's failure to perform at a standard worthy of this area had been shot down in the past, if only because the potential for true change would be slight to none. Count me as a long time supporter of this club that thinks an organized meeting of supporters with the management of this club to express a focused message that 'something isn't working here' is not only needed, but long overdue.

Here is a proposal. We invite Backe, Soler, Heck, the captain of the team (Henry I believe) and the sporting director in Austria to a supporters summit. It is not important if everyone shows up, it is just important that they are invited and know that it is going on. I propose that we have the meeting on THEIR turf, the offices @ RedBullArena, instead of El Pastor or where the supporters meet, purely so our invitees feel safe and comfortable. I also propose that we send a LIMITED contingent of supporters. 10 representatives from each of the following groups will be sent: The ESC, Viking Army, Kearny Army, Garden State Supporters, (and any other club that can raise 10 people), as well as 10 season ticket holders. We will keep the invitation to the summit limited so that our invitees are not intimidated, and to prevent unfocused or immature opinions from finding their way to the discussion. The summit will be video taped for the rest of the supporters to watch, and our regular crop of press (Giase, Ives, Brian Lewis, Michael Lewis, Dyer, etc) will be invited to cover it. We will also send invitations to Don Garber, and other MLS executives to attend, as well as NY Sports reporters, tv and radio hosts. Again, it is not important that they attend, but rather that they know that it is going on.

A representative from each of the groups of 10 will read a statement to Backe, Soler, Heck, etc, making our point. IT IS IMPORTANT that this statement be an agreement come to agreed upon by all involved by our side. I suggest we construct this statement and agree to it ahead of time so that we are all standing in equal voice.

Here are some things we could say:

1) On the field, the club has shown no signs of improvement since the mediocrity and apathy of last season. The team and many of the players are uninspiring to watch and haven't been worth the price of a ticket. We as supporters make the ticket price worth while by our passion and camaraderie with each other, but as a whole we feel that the product on the field is severely lacking despite a monetary advantage that no other team in MLS has, besides LA.

2) We feel this is due to three things: 1) Mismanagement by Hans Backe, whom we feel has lost the club, 2) Mismanagement by Eric Soler, who has had two and a half years to construct a winning team with this overwhelming advantage over other MLS teams and has failed, and 3) apathy from RedBull management at trying to connect with the fan base, from both RedBull team management like Chris Heck, to Austrian sporting management. We feel the first tier of this club's hierarchy is not being held accountable for their mediocre results, nor do we believe that the second tier, our Austrian ownership, places the day to day results of the TEAM first, as evidenced by the ongoing on-field mediocrity, or places a high value on the fanbase, as evidenced by their renaming the team 'RedBulls' instead of a name that would energize current fans and attract new ones.

3) We propose the following: the dismissal of Hans Backe and Eric Soler from management. We are not opposed to a new foreign coach or general manager, but we strongly recommend new management that is familiar with the league, and that has a commitment to soccer in America past their contract's expiration date. We also call for a renaming of the club. We do not wish to be a corporate name anymore... We are open to a contest to rename the team that is open to the community, or even renaming the team the Bulls or the Reds, but we feel 'RedBulls' to be demeaning, corporate, alienating to new fans, and difficult to warm to. We don't propose that the new management be perfect, so we ask that Austria make them be accountable, with more interest in the team's day to day performance instead of how many cans of the beverage is sold or how it is marketed.

4) Unfortunately it has come to this because we as supporters have found that we feel less and less heard, less and less powerful in making an impact, and the team less and less interesting as a product. We are not interested in seeing our team compromised in any way, and are standing for it, the TEAM. Unfortunately we cannot expect its management, players, or owners to truly do this, because they are all wholly changeable, with we, the supporters, being the only true constant. Those we are speaking with are only, and CAN only, put their job security first and the state of the team second. At the end of the day, managers are fired, players are traded, and owners sell if profit can be made. As supporters, as the only true constant, we are the only ones that truly put the team first, and the only ones that can truly defend her and the sport in this area. We ask for our demands to be met immediately.

It is important that this message, whatever is decided upon, to be agreed upon unanimously by the supporter representatives. After that is read to our invitees, we ask them if they have any questions or statements. Afterwards the summit is over and we make sure our press reps are given quotes from us about the proceedings so that they can write. We also make sure a video and audio copy of the proceedings are sent to all television and radio sports stations, MLS HQ, all other MLS teams, and the Austrian hierarchy.

I write this as a proposal to generate conversation and ideas. Any idea or opinion is valid and open for discussion. But I do hope that the idea that a supporters summit with the management of this club is long overdue, and can make a bigger impact, if focused and taken serious, than many think.

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

John Flushing

John Flushing

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:www.metrofanatic.com
  • Supports:My Own Self Interests.
Posted Image
"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos
Sounds great but who is buying the tickets to Salzberg and does anyone even know who to complain to?
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
I think its a bit arrogant to think that a large group of supporters should be able to sit there right in front of the managers and players, accuse them of not trying or caring, and demand their dismissal from the club... And by a bit arrogant, I mean extremely arrogant.

I mean for fucks sake we lose 2 of the toughest games we have all season without our full strength squad and you want everyone to grab their pitchforks and hop on a plane to Austria?

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs
Everyone associated with the New York Red Bulls wants to win. As stated, the people accountable are in Austria and are more interested in selling drinks.

There is no brightside / feel good factor to being named after a drink. And that shows on and off the field.
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

Rob Money

Rob Money

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Here is a proposal. We invite Backe, Soler, Heck, the captain of the team (Henry I believe)and the sporting director in Austria to a supporters summit.

if you don't know who the captain of the team is are you really following?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Hello all.

In the former thread I had started following the RSL game, it was pointed out that the idea of a supporters summit with RedBulls management about the club's failure to perform at a standard worthy of this area had been shot down in the past, if only because the potential for true change would be slight to none. Count me as a long time supporter of this club that thinks an organized meeting of supporters with the management of this club to express a focused message that 'something isn't working here' is not only needed, but long overdue.

Here is a proposal. We invite Backe, Soler, Heck, the captain of the team (Henry I believe) and the sporting director in Austria to a supporters summit. It is not important if everyone shows up, it is just important that they are invited and know that it is going on. I propose that we have the meeting on THEIR turf, the offices @ RedBullArena, instead of El Pastor or where the supporters meet, purely so our invitees feel safe and comfortable. I also propose that we send a LIMITED contingent of supporters. 10 representatives from each of the following groups will be sent: The ESC, Viking Army, Kearny Army, Garden State Supporters, (and any other club that can raise 10 people), as well as 10 season ticket holders. We will keep the invitation to the summit limited so that our invitees are not intimidated, and to prevent unfocused or immature opinions from finding their way to the discussion. The summit will be video taped for the rest of the supporters to watch, and our regular crop of press (Giase, Ives, Brian Lewis, Michael Lewis, Dyer, etc) will be invited to cover it. We will also send invitations to Don Garber, and other MLS executives to attend, as well as NY Sports reporters, tv and radio hosts. Again, it is not important that they attend, but rather that they know that it is going on.

A representative from each of the groups of 10 will read a statement to Backe, Soler, Heck, etc, making our point. IT IS IMPORTANT that this statement be an agreement come to agreed upon by all involved by our side. I suggest we construct this statement and agree to it ahead of time so that we are all standing in equal voice.

Here are some things we could say:

1) On the field, the club has shown no signs of improvement since the mediocrity and apathy of last season. The team and many of the players are uninspiring to watch and haven't been worth the price of a ticket. We as supporters make the ticket price worth while by our passion and camaraderie with each other, but as a whole we feel that the product on the field is severely lacking despite a monetary advantage that no other team in MLS has, besides LA.

2) We feel this is due to three things: 1) Mismanagement by Hans Backe, whom we feel has lost the club, 2) Mismanagement by Eric Soler, who has had two and a half years to construct a winning team with this overwhelming advantage over other MLS teams and has failed, and 3) apathy from RedBull management at trying to connect with the fan base, from both RedBull team management like Chris Heck, to Austrian sporting management. We feel the first tier of this club's hierarchy is not being held accountable for their mediocre results, nor do we believe that the second tier, our Austrian ownership, places the day to day results of the TEAM first, as evidenced by the ongoing on-field mediocrity, or places a high value on the fanbase, as evidenced by their renaming the team 'RedBulls' instead of a name that would energize current fans and attract new ones.

3) We propose the following: the dismissal of Hans Backe and Eric Soler from management. We are not opposed to a new foreign coach or general manager, but we strongly recommend new management that is familiar with the league, and that has a commitment to soccer in America past their contract's expiration date. We also call for a renaming of the club. We do not wish to be a corporate name anymore... We are open to a contest to rename the team that is open to the community, or even renaming the team the Bulls or the Reds, but we feel 'RedBulls' to be demeaning, corporate, alienating to new fans, and difficult to warm to. We don't propose that the new management be perfect, so we ask that Austria make them be accountable, with more interest in the team's day to day performance instead of how many cans of the beverage is sold or how it is marketed.

4) Unfortunately it has come to this because we as supporters have found that we feel less and less heard, less and less powerful in making an impact, and the team less and less interesting as a product. We are not interested in seeing our team compromised in any way, and are standing for it, the TEAM. Unfortunately we cannot expect its management, players, or owners to truly do this, because they are all wholly changeable, with we, the supporters, being the only true constant. Those we are speaking with are only, and CAN only, put their job security first and the state of the team second. At the end of the day, managers are fired, players are traded, and owners sell if profit can be made. As supporters, as the only true constant, we are the only ones that truly put the team first, and the only ones that can truly defend her and the sport in this area. We ask for our demands to be met immediately.

It is important that this message, whatever is decided upon, to be agreed upon unanimously by the supporter representatives. After that is read to our invitees, we ask them if they have any questions or statements. Afterwards the summit is over and we make sure our press reps are given quotes from us about the proceedings so that they can write. We also make sure a video and audio copy of the proceedings are sent to all television and radio sports stations, MLS HQ, all other MLS teams, and the Austrian hierarchy.

I write this as a proposal to generate conversation and ideas. Any idea or opinion is valid and open for discussion. But I do hope that the idea that a supporters summit with the management of this club is long overdue, and can make a bigger impact, if focused and taken serious, than many think.

What are you, 12?
Posted Image

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

John Flushing

John Flushing

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:www.metrofanatic.com
  • Supports:My Own Self Interests.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro
The real problem is in Austria.

#RedBullOut

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Everyone associated with the New York Red Bulls wants to win. As stated, the people accountable are in Austria and are more interested in selling drinks.

There is no brightside / feel good factor to being named after a drink. And that shows on and off the field.

A Failadelphia Bimbos supporters summit with the Union FO requires handing over a jar of vaseline, bending over a table, and squealing like a pig... but not using foul language during all that. That's forbidden.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Here is the response you will probably have received and should have received

1 - It's only 2 games into the season

2 - Even though the results haven't been there we have made the playoffs the last 2 seasons

3 - LOL they don't care if you don't like the name! it's not going anywhere unless the team is sold

4 - We aren't Portland or Seattle, we can barely fill 3 lower level sections in Red Bull Arena and even more importantly we can barely all get the same chant going at the same time because each of the 3 groups want's to do their own thing. Our "importance" is vastly exaggerated all the time here.

and btw does Kearny Army even have 10 people in it? lol

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team
Out of all those responses, here's mine.

The proposal was nicely written, except for a few minor points…

1.) There is just no way in the world that a sports franchise, any franchise will allow have members of its fan base just sit there across the table and demand that their management staff be terminated after just two short seasons (each of them were successful, we made the playoffs) as they were in a hostage negotiation. In plain and simple English, in the front office’s view, yes there have been some well-published problems, but nobody has gigantically screwed up enough.. Yet. If things are that bad, they’ll make the call, not the fans. Let’s give them a little leeway on this.

2.) Speaking of the company, like it or not (and mind you, I sure as hell don’t), but Red Bull is here to stay. Think about it from a business perspective, will you? A company just spent over 200 million on a new facility, looking to put shovel to ground on a permanent training center and full-service youth academy, and God knows how many much more on other things on their list only to just pack up and leave because you and a few STH’s are pissed over a name change or you felt that you are part of their corporate agenda? No company that I know of drops that much scratch on or near a major advertising market (that's Madison Avenue to you) just to say “fuck it” and leave because things are not working too well on or off the field. Without major consequences as a result? Tell me something, what world do you live in?

You don’t think the folks at Red Bull HQ knows what fuck is going on? Trust me children, you bet they fucking do. Other than selling an energy drink, don’t you think it would be in their best interest if they WANT the team to succeed because it would help their bottom line? And should they decide to pull up the anchor and split, the company would risk suffering the worst public relations fiasco, ever. A lot worse than running this team! It’ll be on every business news outlet and it would not cease one bit (Garber and the league would see to that). And as a company, they would rightfully be the laughingstock in the business world.

3.) Instead of demanding that the name of the team be changed (yet a THIRD time since '96), how about we meet them half way. Suggest they include the Metros in a throwback jersey or use it the basis to design a third one. This will help keep in touch of our roots, without alienating anyone present, past and future. In addition, use the meeting to make some suggestions that the seating in the Southward should be closed for members only, provided if the SG’s keep those sections full for each match as I previously suggested. Make arrangements to assign tickets to the groups without a holy war breaking out, and you have a much more UNIFIED and organized effort on match days and you'll be much more fun to watch! Go figure.

4.) Suggest having the supporters, STH’s and the front office work TOGETHER to get the word out about the team. Right now, there’s a serious disconnect between all parties. That alone HAS to change. Other teams reach out to their supporters and STH’s with great success. You can list all of the reasons why it won't all you want. Bottom line, there is NO reason why it shouldn’t work here. None. The best thing we can do is suggest they get the word out on the team and important matches this season a little better. Better than they have been in the past.

And lastly, and I know it’s kind of difficult to do at this point, but a wise contributor on this board suggested we exhibit some patience. The 2012 season is only two games old, and we haven’t had a home game yet. Let’s wait a little bit before we bring out the pitchforks and torches shall we?

That's all I got for now.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

And should they decide to pull up the anchor and split, the company would risk suffering the worst public relations fiasco, ever. A lot worse than running this team! It’ll be on every business news outlet and it would not cease one bit (Garber and the league would see to that). And as a company, they would rightfully be the laughingstock in the business world.

I agree with a lot of what you said but if they sold the team and obviously the stadium it wouldn't be a public relatons fiasco and they wouldn't be the laughing stock of the business world if they sold the team/arena for around what they paid for it or if they made a deal to keep the stadium as Red Bull Arena.

Sadly there are stills ton of people in this area that don't even know they have a team. I still have people ask me about my Red Bulls gear all the time.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA
I agree it's only been 2 games without our full squad (Marquez, Conde, and Rogers), both on the road against some tough teams. I know I haven't been supporting the team since the beginning and a lot of people on this board are really pessimistic because of the past, but since I've been paying attention we've made the playoffs the past 2 years under this coach in a league that's really competitive.

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
Just a few clarifications...

a) in my proposal, i never suggested going over to Austria for anything... the proposal is to have our summit @ redbull arena

b) I never suggested that RedBull sell the team, but rather pay more attention to the day to day operation of the team itself, as well be given an explanation as why the supporters and tri-state area largely dislike and ridicule the name, and why the team should be RE-named.

c) my proposal is not what we should do, just a jumping off point for conversation and debate to see if something like this is something we're all interested in doing.

d) I'm totally fine with being poked fun of in this thread and others... the difference between myself and those poking fun is that I'm coming up with ideas, and creating the possibility that we have the power to make change, while others like to sit in the 'we can't do anything against the mighty corporation' seat. I find those are the people poking fun, rather than making suggestions and taking the conversation further.

e) patience is nice, and i'm not saying we're down and out bad, either in the front office or on the field. I'm saying we're mediocre when we have the potential to be great, and we know that's' not going to change any time soon. and those on the field, in the office, and paying the bills don't have our teams' greatness as their #1 motivation... at the very least, I think they should know that we're not ok with that.

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users