91 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

That's presumably been the plan for every transfer window since 2015.

I think all skepticism has been more than earned. That's totally fair. If I was a season ticket holder who had to either renew or decline by today, I'd most definitely give up my tickets. 

But I'm also not going to pretend to "not understand" why the team would rather have 29-year-old Meara plus 400K in spending money. And I'm not going to lose my shit because that money hasn't been spent literally 20 minutes after announcing Robles' departure. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I think all skepticism has been more than earned. That's totally fair. If I was a season ticket holder who had to either renew or decline by today, I'd most definitely give up my tickets. 

But I'm also not going to pretend to "not understand" why the team would rather have 29-year-old Meara plus 400K in spending money. And I'm not going to lose my shit because that money hasn't been spent literally 20 minutes after announcing Robles' departure. 

And I'll also add this, just in case I wasn't clear: If you're going to give up two team legends for free then, yeah, you fucking better be ready to spend some money and give the team a total facelift. Otherwise it'll be worse than Petke's ousting. 

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

These moves probably make sense but they don't feel very good... The next several months are critical to the future of this team. This needs to be one of the most active offseasons they've ever had. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Out:
Robles, BWP, DE7, Beze, Koffi, Louro and Epps.

This team makes it easy to not show up to the stadium.

There is logic to these moves...if you trust management...which it appears very few people do...I certainly dont trust them.

Was Koffi really a lost cause? It was my understanding he took a while to get going but turned it on over time. Not saying I thought hed get a first team contract for a bench role, but I thought he was one of the better RB2 players.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Koffi didnt seem like a lost cause to me and brought something different to RB2. Im not sure if he dribbling / passing range at MLS level but he did well enough at RB2.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Does it make the team better?

Answer: no

Does it make the team worse?

Answer in my opinion: No. 

On that basis I am okay with making the moves as it frees up lots of cap space. Do I have faith the team will use that cap space wisely, no but freeing at up the cap space comes at little or no cost based on BWP's decline and the gap between Robles and Meara.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Everyone's displeasure with this news is down to lack of faith in the replacements we will get.   Prove us wrong, Hamlett.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Everyone's displeasure with this news is down to lack of faith in the replacements we will get.   Prove us wrong, Hamlett.

Double post sorry

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

"We are searching for the right players for this system. We have a few in mind and are working hard to make it happen".

That is what he will probably say.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

BWP I get but Meara isn't better than Robles, and that's just the truth. We're not going to do anything with the 200k savings.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Buckmaster is in starting 11  :)+

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

BWP I get but Meara isn't better than Robles, and that's just the truth. We're not going to do anything with the 200k savings.

360K savings based on 2019; no idea what bump Meara might get.  But if we lose Long, that backline will depend entirely on Parkers leadership... 

What's the over/under on the number of players we bring in from the RB (not RB2) international universe?   I'm going with 3.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

400k.

In a vacuum, all of these moves make sense.

Given the current FO ability or lack thereof in identifying incoming talent, I think this will be a net negative.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Koffi was on a first team contract and probably wasnt going to contribute to the 1st team this season, Im fine with it.

Hope that means they add another CM with only Davis, CCJ and RZA remaining. More likely move is signing Lema to a contract, but hes another 8 so he doesnt really solve the issue there.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

360K savings based on 2019; no idea what bump Meara might get.  But if we lose Long, that backline will depend entirely on Parkers leadership... 

What's the over/under on the number of players we bring in from the RB (not RB2) international universe?   I'm going with 3.

I watched all the rb2 matches and most who do also agree the only guys who should move up are Tolkin, Sowe, and maybe Stroud.

And mostly the only reason to sign the first two is to keep them with the team since their highly rated. Think Ben Mines 2 years ago. Stroud I think should get promoted as he was our best player but others think he fell off. No matter what happens these three should not be expected to make an impact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users