107 replies to this topic

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro
The bet is $5 (Lawyer Steve is a cheapskate).

The stakes:

Lawyer: The US will invade Venezuela before or on January 20, 2009.

Primetown: The US will not invade Venezuela before or on January 20, 2009.

This does not include dark ops. The bet is for a known military invasion on Venezuela.

Discussion.

Just to give some background, our lawyer friend from Rockland County also believes a military draft will occur in the not so distant future.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Colombia & Millonarios
i'll match the $5 against an invasion by that date, steve. i was the guy in the red t shirt in case you didnt know.

(NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

Trumanaldo

Trumanaldo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Supports:MetroBulls, Liverpool, NFFC, COBRA
I can't see the U.S. invading another country, especially with how things are going in Iraq.

I also don't believe we'll see a draft anytime soon. If it was going to happen, Bush would have made it happen by now.
I'd rather die than live in a world where I can't kick your ass.

"Seattle fans talking trash on Justin TV but I have absolutely zero soccer knowledge to counter with" - Philadelphia Union Fan.

http://redbullrant.wordpress.com

theredmenace

theredmenace

2009 DOTY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Thoughtcrime United
Ooh...

Now, had you said Iran, I'd be throwing money at you before you could complete the thought, but...

I'm going to have to hear from both sides in the lot before the DC game before I make a call on this one.

By the way, the new thing I'm wagering on is there being an "e-9/11" before inauguration day, leading to huge problems for a little while, and then to massive censorship of the web, probably through an "e-Patriot Act"
Upsetting Shorts: Funny, so you don't have to. SEASON 2 BEGINS! NEW EPISODE JULY 2nd!!!

Eleazar: "Tim = wise man"

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
Our lawyer friend did mention an Iran invasion as a definite possibility and felt it could happen before the election.

I didn't disagree with the possibility.

"E 9/11"? I'm intrigued now. At least give me a link or something of that nature, so I can get an understanding of what you are talking about.

Venezuela, litigator? I wouldn't mind upping the ante just a wee bit more. Not sure what we can do, but this could be fun.

Up the ante:

A couple packs of cigs for you.

Or a pack of beer for me.

This is the ESC we are talking about here. Currency is not money, it's in the fun stuff.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros
I don't know what soldiers we would use so I'm goin with Jay here.

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT
Venezuela for the oil and gas refineries I imagine?

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Venezuela for the oil and gas refineries I imagine?

That was definitely part of his theory.

My thinking is along with Mr. Vallo. What troops would be sent to go about invading that country?

And two... I'd think that the administration/government has a couple other countries higher in its order of invading than that South American country.

Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC
Won't happen for a longer period of time than that.

We still need to retool and rebuild our standing armies from Iraq and Afghanistan.

We will not have the support of any other country that shares borders with them either.

You should have given Steve 10 to 1 odds on this one.

With five bucks, that's pretty pathetic, but 10 to 1 makes a shitload more sense.

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Colombia & Millonarios

Won't happen for a longer period of time than that.

We still need to retool and rebuild our standing armies from Iraq and Afghanistan.

We will not have the support of any other country that shares borders with them either.

With five bucks, that's pretty pathetic, but 10 to 1 makes a shitload more sense.

to be fair, colombia is our sock puppet down there. they're like the israel of south america with how much military aid we give them. the colombian president, uribe, would like nothing more to show how much of a good lap dog he is for the US.

(NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

I completely agree with you, BUT this whole thing was his idea. He was very serious about it and was the one who wanted to do the "bet."

I wanted to up the ante a bit, but he was being the wise litigator he is and kept the wager at a minimal level.

I still think it should be a case of beer of my choice verse 4 packs of cigs. But that's up to the Rockland County's Finest.

Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC

I completely agree with you, BUT this whole thing was his idea. He was very serious about it and was the one who wanted to do the "bet."

I wanted to up the ante a bit, but he was being the wise litigator he is and kept the wager at a minimal level.

I still think it should be a case of beer of my choice verse 4 packs of cigs. But that's up to the Rockland County's Finest.

4 packs? You might as well have me buy a carton considering the difference in cost.

And then he might actually ante up more. Addict. :lol:

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

DiscoBerger2123

DiscoBerger2123

hyper off the ginseng root

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Supports:USA, Metro
Too many invasions man. I think Jay will win though.

theredmenace

theredmenace

2009 DOTY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Thoughtcrime United

"E 9/11"? I'm intrigued now. At least give me a link or something of that nature, so I can get an understanding of what you are talking about.

Anything for you buddy.

This is a Google Video link to a lecture on the future of the internet. The gentleman second from the left is Lawrence Lessig, a law professor from Stanford. He founded Stanford's "Center for Internet and Society" and a board member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Fast forward to 4:30 or so, here's a transcript:

There’s going to be an i-9/11 event. Which doesn’t necessarily mean an Al Qaeda attack, it means an event where the instability or the insecurity of the internet becomes manifest during a malicious event which then inspires the government into a response. You’ve got to remember that after 9/11 the government drew up the Patriot Act within 20 days and it was passed.

The Patriot Act is huge and I remember someone asking a Justice Department official how did they write such a large statute so quickly, and of course the answer was that it has been sitting in the drawers of the Justice Department for the last 20 years waiting for the event where they would pull it out.

Of course, the Patriot Act is filled with all sorts of insanity about changing the way civil rights are protected, or not protected in this instance. So I was having dinner with Richard Clarke and I asked him if there is an equivalent, is there an i-Patriot Act just sitting waiting for some substantial event as an excuse to radically change the way the internet works. He said “of course there is”.

Upsetting Shorts: Funny, so you don't have to. SEASON 2 BEGINS! NEW EPISODE JULY 2nd!!!

Eleazar: "Tim = wise man"

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

4 packs? You might as well have me buy a carton considering the difference in cost.

And then he might actually ante up more. Addict. :lol:

You are right. I will discuss an increase in the wager with Lawyer Steve on Sunday.

He also owes me a story about Korea, but that's for a totally different discussion.

Menace... As always thanks for sharing the information. Now, I can form my own opinion on that topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users