SteveB2

SteveB2

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts
  • Supports:Metro/RBNY
So much to comment on.

First, the five dollar limit. As we discussed Jay, with wife, kids, and mortgage I have far less disposable as opposed to disposed of income than a single young stud. Hence the limit. But if you wish to make it a case of piss water vs. a carton of Camels so be it.

Second, the reason I didn't pick Iran as the target. That is a gimme and the only question is whether it is USA prior to 11/08 or if it is done by proxy and that largely depends upon which government replaces Olmert. There has been way too much of a drumbeat for war with threats by Iran to shut the Straits of Hormuz, racheting up of the timeline for Iranian nukes, etc.

Third, the reason for Venezuala is a combination of oil and the Chavez governments support for various other causes.

Fourth, the deadline for action to trigger who wins the bet is 12 noon Eastern Standard Time, 20 January 2009.

Finally, I pray that I lose this bet as I have no desire to pray for my cousins going into yet another unconstitutional and unnecessary war.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro
It's not even a fair bet straight up.

I will give you 5 to 1 odds on this occuring.

I will get you 5 packs of cigaettes if you win this bet.

If I win, a 6 pack of beer of my choice.

And yes, I hope I win this bet too.

I just don't see the ability to open yet another front for conflict.

P.S. - I love the exact time and date of the trigger. So, 24esque.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

SteveB2

SteveB2

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts
[

P.S. - I love the exact time and date of the trigger. So, 24esque.
[/quote]

The exact time is not paranoia. Rather it is the time of the inauguration of the next President.

theredmenace

theredmenace

2009 DOTY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Thoughtcrime United

So much to comment on.

First, the five dollar limit. As we discussed Jay, with wife, kids, and mortgage I have far less disposable as opposed to disposed of income than a single young stud. Hence the limit. But if you wish to make it a case of piss water vs. a carton of Camels so be it.

Second, the reason I didn't pick Iran as the target. That is a gimme and the only question is whether it is USA prior to 11/08 or if it is done by proxy and that largely depends upon which government replaces Olmert. There has been way too much of a drumbeat for war with threats by Iran to shut the Straits of Hormuz, racheting up of the timeline for Iranian nukes, etc.

Third, the reason for Venezuala is a combination of oil and the Chavez governments support for various other causes.

Fourth, the deadline for action to trigger who wins the bet is 12 noon Eastern Standard Time, 20 January 2009.

Finally, I pray that I lose this bet as I have no desire to pray for my cousins going into yet another unconstitutional and unnecessary war.

Before beginning, allow me to praise the well thought-out words of an intelligent man. Unfortunately, with the current climate, hearing an intelligent, well thought-out idea is rare and therefore worthy of praise, but this is a discussion for another time.

Specifically on the Iran/proxy/Olmert issue, I could not possibly agree more, nor could I have abbreviated it into fewer words while keeping the heart of the message. Very well said. (Jay, your research topic of the weekend is "AIPAC". Steve is reading this and nodding to himself, I'm sure.)

As I told Steve on an aside, I will withhold my wager on the matter until we can have a proper discussion of the facts and opinions on Sunday. I temporarily side with Jay, but honorable men may differ, and I'd be glad to hear an argument from another angle.

I do, however, join Steve in the hope (I don't pray) that he is wrong, though I'm not necessarily convinced he will be.
Upsetting Shorts: Funny, so you don't have to. SEASON 2 BEGINS! NEW EPISODE JULY 2nd!!!

Eleazar: "Tim = wise man"

SteveB2

SteveB2

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts
Specifically on the Iran/proxy/Olmert issue, I could not possibly agree more, nor could I have abbreviated it into fewer words while keeping the heart of the message. Very well said. (Jay, your research topic of the weekend is "AIPAC". Steve is reading this and nodding to himself, I'm sure.)

[/quote]

Actually the proxy/post-Olmert comment was based upon an article in the Jerusalem Post dealing with Israeli fears concerning the American elections and past/future american pressure restraining Israeli actions.

But we digress....

Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC

Dude, enough of this whining over money shit.

Just raid a kids room and take an ipod to a pawn shop. That should cover your end. :lol:

See, I'm a uniter not a divider. Just like our Dubya. :lol:

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

The exact time is not paranoia. Rather it is the time of the inauguration of the next President.

Of course, I just like that the specific parameters of this bet are in fact that specific.

Menace - Because it is you, I will take a look at what you offer up. You always bring some interesting items to my attention. And as always, I preface it with I appreciate the insight therefore I can form my own opinion by looking at different pieces of evidence.

Steve - While I see your reasoning, I believe there are too many other things going on in this political climate. If the US were going to decide to enter a new conflict, I think there are a couple other countries that would be of a higher priority. Iran being numero uno on that list.

Curious to hear more on your theory though. It's clearly not as black and white as expressed on this message board.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Actually the proxy/post-Olmert comment was based upon an article in the Jerusalem Post dealing with Israeli fears concerning the American elections and past/future american pressure restraining Israeli actions.

But we digress....

I do check out the Jerusalem Post website from time to time. It is the most pro-Israeli/anti-Iran source out there in the mass media.

Hard to take anything they say at face value.

theredmenace

theredmenace

2009 DOTY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Thoughtcrime United

But we digress....

Yes, but "Israeli fears", read as "Israeli government fears", usually involve how much money the elected party will give to Israel. Or, to turn it a negative way, how they can frame a politician as an anti-Semite for their refusal to support Israel financially.

Never forget that Israel is a financial powerhouse. Moreover, never forget that you must seperate in your mind Israel and Judaism, as much as Israel would have you do otherwise. One is a country, one is a religion, and they have NOTHING to do with one another.

Jay - Think nothing of it. I trust you to look deeply enough into a matter I suggest to see both sides. A simple Google search for the AIPAC website will bring you nothing but a big thumbs up for what they do. Deeper research will reveal otherwise.
Upsetting Shorts: Funny, so you don't have to. SEASON 2 BEGINS! NEW EPISODE JULY 2nd!!!

Eleazar: "Tim = wise man"

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

I already know I have off of school that day, so I will remember to check up on this bet after throwing eggs at the presidential motorcade.

Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC

I already know I have off of school that day, so I will remember to check up on this bet after throwing eggs at the presidential motorcade.

I'll bring them. We'll barhop afterwards.

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the deadline for action to trigger who wins the bet is 12 noon Eastern Standard Time, 20 January 2009.

I dislike apocalyptic predictions!

OK. As long as you haven't been tallying up dates from the Bible or reading Nostradamus ...
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=9cyABXsjZcs
"Our source was The New York Times!"
prior scene:
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Colombia & Millonarios
the internet, i believe, is much more fragile than we think it is.

so is steve taking on anymore bets and does the bet include a war by proxy (israel)?

(NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

I'll bring them. We'll barhop afterwards.

I wont shave between now and then, and hopefully will hit puberty at some point in that time frame so I can do the second part. Either way I am still down for an ESC presidential protest, followed by an ESC presidential secret service beat-down.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

so is steve taking on anymore bets and does the bet include a war by proxy (israel)?

The bet does not include a proxy attack.

It has to be a known US operation in Venezuela.

If Steve said Russia and Georgia, he'd already be smoking his Camels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users