500 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Yeah, but is he going to score 15-20 next year? We dont need to be the NY Giants, extending the inevitable with Eli Manning. This Team needs to identify someone whom can take the reign. Even if it means benching BWP.

I don't think this happens this off-season. Maybe over the course of next season someone emerges. But I think the club goes into opening day next year with him a starter.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

What? Adams is our best player, his job isnt to create shots. As soon as that final whistle blew, we were instantly a worse team because he had played his final minutes here.

He's right though...if you want to create scoring chances and you have three guys in the midfield who run fast but do little else...you aren't going to score many goals.

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
Watching the Portland KC match, and thinking about Atlanta: we need some dynamic front players. Adams of course is great on his day (I think the international break fucked him up for this series), but we have no one else with guile and power. And, Adams will be gone next season, so...

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

I don't think this happens this off-season. Maybe over the course of next season someone emerges. But I think the club goes into opening day next year with him a starter.

I agree. But top priorities this offseason: BWP competent replacement (preferably improvement which is a tough shoes to fill in), two wingers (Royer is done, Muyl and Ettienne are simply servicelable, would love to see more honestly) and a potential replacement/backup for Kemar and Murillo. Murillo btw has under performed ever since the World Cup. Its like the Panama World Cup experience got to his head.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

I agree. But top priorities this offseason: BWP competent replacement (preferably improvement which is a tough shoes to fill in), two wingers (Royer is done, Muyl and Ettienne are simply servicelable, would love to see more honestly) and a potential replacement/backup for Kemar and Murillo. Murillo btw has under performed ever since the World Cup. Its like the Panama World Cup experience got to his head.

Etienne's situation is starting to become like Veron's in which there appears to be some talent but he never gets consistent starting minutes.

Murillo has gone from excellent to downright horrible over the span of a fee months.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

He's right though...if you want to create scoring chances and you have three guys in the midfield who run fast but do little else...you aren't going to score many goals.

So the gripe with Muyl is legitimate in that discussion. Adams and Davis? Not so much. We were 5th in the league in goals for and 1st in goals against. Our holding midfield duo was not a problem. They are one of the best, if not the best, pairings in the league. Having a gripe with them is having a gripe with our entire system and philosophy, in general. They are incredibly effective at what theyre asked to do within our system. Saying they run fast and do little else is a major over simplification of their roles and the value they bring to the table.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We literally just set the league record for points in a season despite CCL complicating the rotation. You people are insatiable. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
We are good in goal.

Resign Parker/Long at all costs. I don't love Parker but he's quality at the MLS level. Long can name his price.

Plan on Taxi/Murillo leaving. I think we have good youngsters in II but look for another potential high level performer at WB as well (keep mining Concacaf). If Taxi and/or Murillo stay, even better.

Replacement for Adams? How do you replace that kind of performer? Biggest question for this team next season.

Guessing Kaku stays after a lacklustre second half. Hopefully he can do better over a full season next time around. Davis is solid, guessing the team, player, and fans are all happy to stay together for the foreseeable.

I'll disagree with most and say keep Ivan. He showed glimpses of quality and can get to Royer's level with more time. Natural progression for Muyl and Etienne gives us 4 decent wing options again but a DP level player here should, of course, be high on our wishlist.

Figure out a long-term plan for the striker position. I think BWP might finally start deteriorating next season. Even if he scores a solid 12-15 goals, that is still lost production from his usual 20+ that will be hard to replace. Getting a younger second striker (say Damari/Gulbrandsen-like TAM guy, or preferably a DP) and play 2-striker formations some of the time, with the new guy being the long-term no. 1 option in 2020 and beyond would be great.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Yeah, but is he going to score 15-20 next year? We dont need to be the NY Giants, extending the inevitable with Eli Manning. This Team needs to identify someone whom can take the reign. Even if it means benching BWP.

Probably yes.

Even in the counterfactual where we find some amazing star forward who can do everything like Henry, we're still better with BWP on the field than off it. 

His finishing is off the charts. It's the service that needs to be there. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Am I the only one who thinks we need to upgrade Royer? Dude disappeared ALOT this year. I think you need to keep Rza especially with Tyler leaving. Def cut Ivan and Colin, maybe getting Colin as a coach somewhere with us. 

I like Royer on the team, what we need for next year and needed all along this year was a viable option for offense on the wing.

It sucks to think how this team could have been if they'd spent money like a top team in the areas where they weren't getting enough production from the academy.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
If you have followed this team from Day One,
you remember that years ending in 9 are disasters.
1999: won 4 of 32 games (plus 3W-5L in shootouts).
2009: won 5 of 30 games, after making MLS Cup 2008.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

So the outside midfield looks like this:

Royer 
Valot

Muyl 

Etienne

Ivan

I wouldn't mind the team finding another guy who fits from down south, and doesn't necessarily cost more than what they paid for Kaku. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Stefan Schuette

Stefan Schuette

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Supports:New York

I think getting rid of Collin and Rivas in important. They're ridiculously overpriced. Their salaries combined is around 900,000. If we free up that cap space, and when Adams goes to Leipzig, we'll have a lot of cap space and $$ from the Adams transfer, which puts us in great shape to bring in some players.

Ivan, we can take him or leave him (he's not that much on the cap, relatively, and maybe he'll have a better year next year because he's more accustomed), but I do agree, getting another outside winger is a good idea.

I also agree to bring in another forward. BWP is a legend, but he'll be 34 next year, his minutes will have to be managed a little more carefully, and it'd be nice to introduce a new option. It's unwise to be so dependent on one player up top to score our goals. Maybe Giuseppe Rossi will join the roster and be a good rotation/partner option. I know he's an unkown quantity at this point, he could be a total bust, but he could also be our next goalscorer, and at 31 maybe he can still give us 2 or 3 seasons. (Sidebar: Has anyone else been noticing that Fredrik Gulbrandsen has been doing quite well for Salzburg after his forgettable loan here?) 

And if Taxi and/or Murillo leave, then we'll have to find replacements. Taxi will be very hard to replace, so hopefully he stays, but I'd be surprised if no one was interested in his services across the pond.

Not sure exactly who's next in line from RB2, but i'd love to bring in as many as possible that are, or close to, MLS ready.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

OR

get another central midfielder for the 10. move Kaku to the left/right flank. when he was with Huracan, he played considerable minutes at LW, with some starts on the right and centrally. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I hope they can keep Adams at least one more season...

But The FO has to add depth need at least two guys with speed that can play multiple positions wingers that can be wing backs... Also desperately need another goalscorer it can't be all on BWP... Love BWP gotta keep him but need a type of player that can either play centerfoward on a pinch or winger... I think next year is the year they have to win.. If they don't do it next year it's over for this core of BWP, Robles, Royer, Kemar, Adams and Long because guys will be too old to or will be sold
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users