179 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Yeah, pretty skeptical a big name would make much of a difference. I was honestly pretty shocked back in the day at how negligible the boost we got from Rafa was. It seemed everybody and their grandma came out to see Blanco when he was in Chicago, and we had the captain of the Mexican national team and it didn't really fill up the stadium. Maybe that was just cause he sucked so hard for us. But that's kinda shattered the illusion that signing a big name player would have a major impact on attendance.

You were expecting Rafa to be the draw, when we had Henry?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

expecting Rafa to be the draw, when we had Henry?

Not THE draw, but A draw.
Especially among the Mexican fan base.
Some pundit wrote that those fans have greater loyalty to their club teams than the Tri, something I have not witnessed at USA-MEX games. Apparently Rafa was viewed as a Barca player. Or, as an Atlas product, not an attraction for Chivas fans. https://en.m.wikiped...lásico_Tapatío
Best I can say, is that when RB saw Rafa score for Barca in a sold-out GS, they thought he would attract fans.
http://www.lacancha.com/barcbulls.html

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Its not about having a big name. The problem is the perception of MLS. Atlanta fans and other expansion markets didnt have MLS during the early years. Years when it seemed like every year might be the last one, and when three owners owned every team. MLS is already tarnished here in New York, everyone sees it as inferior.

Time is the only thing that will help but well never be Atlanta. Im fine with how the team is doing except for the lack of championships.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

FWIW, I had said a "personality", not a "big name".  It could be a boy wonder.  I am not advocating bringing in known names with no gas left in the tank. We need someone with attacking flair to both get us over the top and hopefully as a by product put a face to the franchise.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
Since this has now become another depressing Attendance thread split ...
left NBCSN on after watching the latest Ranger debacle,
so the Dan Patrick show was on this AM as background.
Some guy was guest hosting, and the conversation somehow turned to his hatred of soccer. He mentioned a road trip he had made. I found the article:
https://www.si.com/s...hate-soccer0616
Two games at GS, which most of us were probably at.
Unfortunately, his mindset is that of many US sports fans.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Since this has now become another depressing Attendance thread split ...
left NBCSN on after watching the latest Ranger debacle,
so the Dan Patrick show was on this AM as background.
Some guy was guest hosting, and the conversation somehow turned to his hatred of soccer. He mentioned a road trip he had made. I found the article:
https://www.si.com/s...hate-soccer0616
Two games at GS, which most of us were probably at.
Unfortunately, his mindset is that of many US sports fans.

A lot of Europeans that I've talked to have a preconceived notion that NFL is dumb and boring, without ever watching a minute of NFL action. They think many players are fat and don't really run ("11 minutes actual playing time in a 4-hour game" is thrown around a lot) and are pussies (because they wear pads unlike in rugby; of course, not many of these people watch rugby either).

If you don't give a sport a fair unbiased chance and don't try to learn/understand/appreciate it, you can definitely convince yourself it is boring and stupid. Fuck those guys.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

A lot of Europeans that I've talked to have a preconceived notion that NFL is dumb and boring, without ever watching a minute of NFL action.

They feel the same way about MLS.

you don't give a sport a fair unbiased chance and don't try to learn/understand/appreciate it, you can definitely convince yourself it is boring and stupid. Fuck those guys.

I have never been convinced that telling people to Eff Off is an effective way to win them over.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

They feel the same way about MLS.

I have never been convinced that telling people to Eff Off is an effective way to win them over.

I don't really care to win them over, but I guess my point is with their initial close-minded attitude they are not really winnable in any case.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

with their initial close-minded attitude they are not really winnable in any case.

I think that a lot of the attitude is bluster.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

A lot of Europeans that I've talked to have a preconceived notion that NFL is dumb and boring, without ever watching a minute of NFL action. They think many players are fat and don't really run ("11 minutes actual playing time in a 4-hour game" is thrown around a lot) and are pussies (because they wear pads unlike in rugby; of course, not many of these people watch rugby either).

If you don't give a sport a fair unbiased chance and don't try to learn/understand/appreciate it, you can definitely convince yourself it is boring and stupid. Fuck those guys.

But NFL IS dumb and boring!

And I am surprised at the number of fat players, specially in the offensive or defensive line.

And the fact that a game that could be played in 20 minutes takes 4 hours (FACT!)

And I do watch rugby and those guys are fit, and their field is possibly twice the size of a pointy ball field.

And I am not a European!

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'm just saying if you put Falcao on this squad the place is fucking full.  Colombiano brothers and sisters turn the fuck up for their guys.  Big time Peruvian wouldn't hurt either.

#RedBullOut

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

And I am surprised at the number of fat players, specially in the offensive or defensive line.

You'd be amazed how athletic those fatties are. I remember watching 6'4" 315 pound Muhammed Wilkerson during warm-ups and his leg kicks just about brought his foot level with his head. The average offsensive lineman runs something like a 5.25 second 40-yard dash. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm just saying if you put Falcao on this squad the place is fucking full.  Colombiano brothers and sisters turn the fuck up for their guys.  Big time Peruvian wouldn't hurt either.

Genuine question, has ethnic pandering ever actually worked? Makes a ton of sense on paper, but never seems to matter and there's also some caveat in hindsight as to why not. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

But NFL IS dumb and boring!

And the fact that a game that could be played in 20 minutes takes 4 hours (FACT!)

And I do watch rugby and those guys are fit, and their field is possibly twice the size of a pointy ball field.

And I am not a European!

You can be an honorary European given this terrible opinion. ;)

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Genuine question, has ethnic pandering ever actually worked? Makes a ton of sense on paper, but never seems to matter and there's also some caveat in hindsight as to why not. 

You saw how Felipe (and Paullo, and Digau) brought them in from Ironbound in huge numbers.   /s

That said, when we had Pacheco, I recall a noticeable number of El Salvador flags in GS.  Certainly not thousands, but noticeable.

I think a known Peruvian, not far past his prime, would get meaningful support.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users