179 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I'm just saying if you put Falcao on this squad the place is fucking full.  Colombiano brothers and sisters turn the fuck up for their guys.  Big time Peruvian wouldn't hurt either.

we've had notable Colombians...  and empty stadiums

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Genuine question, has ethnic pandering ever actually worked? Makes a ton of sense on paper, but never seems to matter and there's also some caveat in hindsight as to why not. 

Falcao ain't ethnic pandering.  Dude would make us instantly better.  He's an incredibly popular player as well.  Maybe not as popular as James, but pretty damn popular.

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

we've had notable Colombians...  and empty stadiums

Falcao a little different man.  It's about the man and his popularity.

#RedBullOut

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

I'm just saying if you put Falcao on this squad the place is fucking full.  Colombiano brothers and sisters turn the fuck up for their guys.  Big time Peruvian wouldn't hurt either.

Sorry I don't think this has ever worked for us unless we think Donadoni helped with good support in the early days.  

Henry is a bigger name then Falcao and there are tons of Arsenal supporters in the area and the arena was never consistenly sold out with him (granted dipped since then). Rafa was MX team capitan which I would have thought resulted in Blanco Luis Hernandaz Campo support but we know Rafa.

Would love to be wrong and have Falcao or a Rui Diaz equivalent regardless of the attendance impact.

Attendance is a massive puzzle.  I think part of the issue is the issue for NJ/upstate NY fans is driving into Harrison.  From my perspective, no worse then any other arena but people got spoiled with Giant Stadium and traffic although still a problem they have improved since 2010. 

We are older established product that competes for soccer attention with increasingly easy EPL/Euro coverage.   Same issue all MLS original 10 struggle with. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Tymatt

Tymatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls/MetroStars
I think a bigger problem is the rising ticket prices in a sense. We didnt have terrible attendances in 2017 when it got to a point where you could go on stubhub and pick up tickets for like 10 dollars in the upper deck. I think if they wanted people to attend they would make those seats much cheaper so theres more demand to fill them. I dont know if a player from a certain national team will get us the attendance other than maybe alberth Elis who is Honduras best player. When Houston came to play us on a mid week Wednesday back in like August or September(the night we also played mostly reserves) we had half the stadium filled solely with Honduran fans so I would say its possible that a player of a certain nationality brings more people in the door. Just it hasnt worked in the past for us though. Also the night we played olimpia in ccl when I was there half the stadium was Hondurans so maybe it could work.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Sorry I don't think this has ever worked for us unless we think Donadoni helped with good support in the early days.  

Henry is a bigger name then Falcao and there are tons of Arsenal supporters in the area and the arena was never consistenly sold out with him (granted dipped since then). Rafa was MX team capitan which I would have thought resulted in Blanco Luis Hernandaz Campo support but we know Rafa.

Would love to be wrong and have Falcao or a Rui Diaz equivalent regardless of the attendance impact.

Attendance is a massive puzzle.  I think part of the issue is the issue for NJ/upstate NY fans is driving into Harrison.  From my perspective, no worse then any other arena but people got spoiled with Giant Stadium and traffic although still a problem they have improved since 2010. 

We are older established product that competes for soccer attention with increasingly easy EPL/Euro coverage.   Same issue all MLS original 10 struggle with. 

Random ass SGR or fringe national team member JPA ain't Radamel Falcao.  Titi actually did increase our attendance by the way, we were just starting from absolutely nothing of a fanbase.  

#RedBullOut

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Random ass SGR or fringe national team member JPA ain't Radamel Falcao.  Titi actually did increase our attendance by the way, we were just starting from absolutely nothing of a fanbase.  

nothing of a fanbase?  all of us were there and coming off 2009 but had an new arena.

Titi did increase for a while but not selling out every game for seasons on end.  TIti increase wore off  from my perspective.

SGR and JPA ain't in the same category as Donadoni or Lothar.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

nothing of a fanbase?  all of us were there and coming off 2009 but had an new arena.

Titi did increase for a while but not selling out every game for seasons on end.  TIti increase wore off  from my perspective.

SGR and JPA ain't in the same category as Donadoni or Lothar.

Yes, nothing of a fanbase.  I was there in 2009, maybe 2000 others were too, max.  That was a time where this club was trying to just get any semblance of a st base at all.  There was a little bit of new arena buzz, but nothing really until Titi signed.  Attendance was better from there.

And yes, the buzz wore off.  It always does unless you sustain a winner and have star power in this town.  Welcome to NY.

#RedBullOut

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Yes, nothing of a fanbase.  I was there in 2009, maybe 2000 others were too, max.  That was a time where this club was trying to just get any semblance of a st base at all.  There was a little bit of new arena buzz, but nothing really until Titi signed.  Attendance was better from there.

And yes, the buzz wore off.  It always does unless you sustain a winner and have star power in this town.  Welcome to NY.

The Knicks used to be a hot ticket for years until they sucked so bad that the fan base dwindled.

A good friend's father was the team's trainer for many years and she and her husband followed them religiously...until they sucked and then they went to other things. During brief periods of resurgence, like during the Linsanity craze, they would start going to games again, but would stop once reality returned. NY is a tough town that way.

Titi impacted attendance for sure, but unfortunately the club never made it to the promised land while he was in form.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

The Knicks used to be a hot ticket for years until they sucked so bad that the fan base dwindled.

A good friend's father was the team's trainer for many years and she and her husband followed them religiously...until they sucked and then they went to other things. During brief periods of resurgence, like during the Linsanity craze, they would start going to games again, but would stop once reality returned. NY is a tough town that way.

Titi impacted attendance for sure, but unfortunately the club never made it to the promised land while he was in form.

The Knicks are still a pretty hot ticket and post impressive attendance numbers, considering how awful they have been and for how long they've been awful. Perhaps I'm biased as a lifelong Knicks fan, but I've long regarded the Knicks fanbase as the most loyal in the NY market. 

Lowest priced ticket on Stubhub for the Knicks next 4 home games: $72, $90, $74, $66

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

The Knicks are still a pretty hot ticket and post impressive attendance numbers, considering how awful they have been and for how long they've been awful. Perhaps I'm biased as a lifelong Knicks fan, but I've long regarded the Knicks fanbase as the most loyal in the NY market. 

Lowest priced ticket on Stubhub for the Knicks next 4 home games: $72, $90, $74, $66

All venues are dominated by the ticket brokers now. You pay through the nose to get tickets for some supposedly hot concert only to find 20% of the seats empty.

A lot of sellers don't break price and let the seats go unsold to maintain the illusion of scarcity for many venues.

Anyways, we're getting off topic. By your logic (which may be right), NY fans will show up no matter how crappy the team, so either they just don't like soccer or they just don't like our club, or some combination of the two. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

You saw how Felipe (and Paullo, and Digau) brought them in from Ironbound in huge numbers.   /s

That said, when we had Pacheco, I recall a noticeable number of El Salvador flags in GS.  Certainly not thousands, but noticeable.

I think a known Peruvian, not far past his prime, would get meaningful support.

When Kaka visited with ORL, there was some yellow jerseys. imo, had we got Schellotto instead of Cbus, i think we might have seen something. and there would've been a shit ton more Spanish chants in 101. that would've been awesome and hilarious at the same time. 

pandering worked a little when we had Amado. 

it would necessitate having a 1st XI level NT player. Cristian Cueva of Peru would've been too pricey ($9m deal to leave Sao Paolo FC). we're only gonna spend no more than $5m for another big player, if they even bother to snag one.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

All venues are dominated by the ticket brokers now. You pay through the nose to get tickets for some supposedly hot concert only to find 20% of the seats empty.

A lot of sellers don't break price and let the seats go unsold to maintain the illusion of scarcity for many venues.

Anyways, we're getting off topic. By your logic (which may be right), NY fans will show up no matter how crappy the team, so either they just don't like soccer or they just don't like our club, or some combination of the two. 

Not my logic at all. I was more disputing the specific Knicks point, as I think theyre the exception to the rule.

I think New York is a basketball town and I think the Knicks benefit from being centrally located for pretty much everyone.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Not my logic at all. I was more disputing the specific Knicks point, as I think theyre the exception to the rule.

I think New York is a basketball town and I think the Knicks benefit from being centrally located for pretty much everyone.

I guess It was just chance that attendance was down whenever i went. LOL

Ny has historically loved basketball and has loved the Knicks. It is not that it is gone forever, but attendance wise there are still periods of hibernation.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

MSG is easy to get to by mass transit from just about anywhere! Come into Penn Station and youre there. Plus theres a helluva a lot of corporate purchased tix for the Knicks and Rangers. The building is always sold out regardless of how many actually show up. In my opinion RBA was built a little too big. Shouldve been 20,000 and expandable. If that were the case, ticket sales of 18,500 with 15,000 actual people in the building would look pretty good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users