• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I never count on players coming back from major injuries. Ever. Some of them do, some of them dont. You need to be prepared if they dont. To me, the depth chart heading into the season looks like this:

GK: Robles, Meara, Louro
RB: Murillo, Lade
CB: Long, Parker, Tarek, Nealis
LB: Lade, Loebe
DM: Davis, Rza, CCJ, Koffi
RW: Muyl, Ivan, Epps, Mines
CM: Kaku, Fernandez
LW: Royer, Etienne
FWD: BWP, Jorgensen, White, Abang

Hence why Im so pissed off we didnt add another Duncan level outside back and a difference maker in midfield. Kaku can play the outside spot. They could have gotten ANY attacking mid. They sat on their hands. Unacceptable.

Have you given up on Lawrence? 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Have you given up on Lawrence? 

I never GIVE UP on anyone.

I dont like that it has taken him this long to get back into the fold. That is a red flag to me. So Im putting him in the same boat as valot Bezecourt and Duncan. Im not counting on any of them. Or rather, Im counting on them not to be 100% healthy for the season. So I want management to plan accordingly. Which they havent.

But look WTF do I know about whats going on in training and their progress? Absolutely nothing. All I know is Ive seen a lot of key players have major injuries over the years which effectively ENDED their careers.

Take the pessimistic approach and be prepared for the worst. Be prepared for injuries. Especially RE-INJURIES.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I never GIVE UP on anyone.

I dont like that it has taken him this long to get back into the fold. That is a red flag to me. So Im putting him in the same boat as valot Bezecourt and Duncan. Im not counting on any of them. Or rather, Im counting on them not to be 100% healthy for the season. So I want management to plan accordingly. Which they havent.

But look WTF do I know about whats going on in training and their progress? Absolutely nothing. All I know is Ive seen a lot of key players have major injuries over the years which effectively ENDED their careers.

Take the pessimistic approach and be prepared for the worst. Be prepared for injuries. Especially RE-INJURIES.

That's crazy. By your logic they should already be adding new players for the ones they somehow magically know will be injured during the course of the season. They also somehow have stolen the LA playbook which will allow them to carry more than the maximum number of allowed players and somehow not have all of those additional salaries count against the cap.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Take the pessimistic approach and be prepared for the worst.

Surely there's a stronger word than pessimistic to describe being happy with the team 0% of the time

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

By your logic they should already be adding new players for the ones they somehow magically know will be injured during the course of the season.

They also somehow have stolen the LA playbook which will allow them to carry more than the maximum number of allowed players and somehow not have all of those additional salaries count against the cap.

1. No...they should have added another outside back and attacking mid last summer when Duncan and Valot went down. That turned out really great. Those positions are still question marks for me so...

2. There are players on our roster that I would be okay parting with.

Edit: Just as an example was it crazy to worry that Perinelle wouldnt fully recover? Id say that would have been very prudent...and saved us a lot of headaches.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Surely there's a stronger word than pessimistic to describe being happy with the team 0% of the time

I am very happy when we win hardware. The shields have made me very very happy.

The rest of the time is spent panicking about how we will acquire more hardware...and therefore drinking...and eating Brisas.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

stab at how we will start the season.
Players in [ ] are players removed from 2018.
GK: Robles (Meara, Louro)
RB: Murillo (Duncan, Lade) [Kutler]
CB: Long and Parker (Tarek, Nealis) [Escobar, Collin, Ndam, Redding, Politz]
LB: Taxi (Lade, Loebe)
DM: Davis and Rza (Beze, CCJ, Koffi) [Adams]
RW: Muyl (Valot, Ivan, Epps, Mines)
CM: Kaku (Beze, Fernandez)
LW: Royer (Etienne)
FWD: BWP (Jorgensen, White, Abang) [Rivas]

So, the only big loss is Tyler, from the Shield winners.
Well, Jesse off the field.
RB did add Jorgensen.
Yet, some people are freaking out about this.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

Agree

We gained Tarek, CCJ ,Koffi, Epps, (from injury Mines, Valot, Beze ,Duncan) , Fernandez, Jorgensen , Nealis (plus  other Draft picks ).

We  lost Adams (big loss) , Escobar , Ndam

Overall I feel good about this team , my main concern is we need a proven back-up for BWP , I guess we will have to wait and see if White or Jorgensen can fill this need..If not we should have $ to bring in someone, in early summer (Assuming ownership is willing to spend).

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Agree

We gained Tarek, CCJ ,Koffi, Epps, (from injury Mines, Valot, Beze ,Duncan) , Fernandez, Jorgensen , Nealis (plus  other Draft picks ).

We  lost Adams (big loss) , Escobar , Ndam

Overall I feel good about this team , my main concern is we need a proven back-up for BWP , I guess we will have to wait and see if White or Jorgensen can fill this need..If not we should have $ to bring in someone, in early summer (Assuming ownership is willing to spend).

forgot who said this before but i dont think we can ever get a "proven backup" for BWP unless they play another a position.  No good striker will sign with us to backup BWP all year since we play a one forward formation.  That is why I think going with the younger guys and hoping to develop them is a better approach.  
If only though we could waive Andy Ivan and have a do over to sign a pricey winger alternative, even if its below DP levels.  From what i saw last night he should be behind Muyl, Etienne and Epps on the depth chart.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

my main concern is we need a proven back-up for BWP 

This is what they hope Jorgensen is able to do. I understand the caution, but to say they haven't addressed the position is simply incorrect.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

So, the only big loss is Tyler, from the Shield winners.
Well, Jesse off the field.
RB did add Jorgensen.
Yet, some people are freaking out about this.

Agree
No replacing Tyler but we have good integrated back up with another developing replacement plus young talent in the danish guy Omir and Mines.
I think we spend the first half of the year trying more build up and trying out 4222

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we spend the first half of the year ... trying out 4222

Much to the frustration of the fan base.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

It'd be great to have a sure-shot, game changing right winger, but that's clearly not in the cards.

We may be closer than we think there. But will the team/fanbase give him time to solidify his game? The lack of excitement around a homegrown player with 1v1 skills and real creativity continues to mystify me.

https://youtu.be/5tV4aR6IBc4

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

We may be closer than we think there. But will the team/fanbase give him time to solidify his game? The lack of excitement around a homegrown player with 1v1 skills and real creativity continues to mystify me.

https://youtu.be/5tV4aR6IBc4

It's not the fanbase who needs to give him time, it is the coaches. We can kvetch all we want but we don't get a vote.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

If only though we could waive Andy Ivan and have a do over to sign a pricey winger alternative, even if its below DP levels.  From what i saw last night he should be behind Muyl, Etienne and Epps on the depth chart.

It's a shame to hear that - any more details you care to share? I was really hoping he'd contribute this year after a full preseason and more time with the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users