48 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

We may be closer than we think there. But will the team/fanbase give him time to solidify his game? The lack of excitement around a homegrown player with 1v1 skills and real creativity continues to mystify me.

https://youtu.be/5tV4aR6IBc4

Needs better end product and decision making. Could well happen but he hasn't consistently shown either yet.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We may be closer than we think there. But will the team/fanbase give him time to solidify his game? The lack of excitement around a homegrown player with 1v1 skills and real creativity continues to mystify me.

https://youtu.be/5tV4aR6IBc4

Etienne is moving in the right direction but still has a lot to improve. What if he doesn't reach fullfil that potential until 2022? Should fans be OK with mediocre/decent play until then instead of signing more proven talent?

We have a DP spot, we have owners with money, we have a team that a lot of smart people think was one attacking piece away from an MLS Cup. Tough to say fans are unreasonable for not wanting to see out Etienne's development instead.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

a DP spot ... owners with money ...
a team ... one attacking piece away from an MLS Cup.

RB has spent big bucks on some failed acquisitions. That may be why it tries to build at least partly from within.
Spending money on proven commodities:
https://nypost.com/2...with-red-bulls/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

Needs better end product and decision making. Could well happen but he hasn't consistently shown either yet.

Agree,

He seems to have all the tools needed to succeed  ,maybe this will be his breakout season .

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

maybe this will be his breakout season.

If he wants a long-term big money deal, needs to be.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

It's a shame to hear that - any more details you care to share? I was really hoping he'd contribute this year after a full preseason and more time with the team.

When you look at our other winger options its very clear 1) what they bring to the table and 2) they play to those strength.  Muyl has his work rate/pressing, Derrick is good 1 v 1 and Epps is very quick with the ball.  Ivan is a balanced version of these guys but for a guy with his salary he doesn't get involved enough in positive attacking moments.  He had one good run down the line that led to a ball that a defender cleared before Epps had a tap-in.  Beyond that I don't remember anything else he did really well.  He doesn't appear to play "fast enough" to be dangerous in transition, and thats a lot of our offense.  And with a bunch of younger cheap guys that are as good as you in the system, no point of having you here.  I dont think he is a bad player, but it doesnt look like its working out with how we play

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Omir comin'

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Ivan has to be 1 or 2 on the depth chart to justify his salary.  Since he didn't even make the trip, you have to wonder how much this preseason has done to justify him still being here at all.   He costs about as much as DE, Mines, Myul and Valot combined.   Guys like him and Keita show how difficult it can be to asses talent.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

Ivan has to be 1 or 2 on the depth chart to justify his salary. ... Guys like him ... show how difficult it can be to assess talent.

He might not be bad; others just might be better.
2018 RB salaries covered a broad range:
https://www.statista...rk-red-bulls/#0
Ivan at $344K was the only one between 250 & 450.
Currently, everyone else making decent money is worth it.
If anything, some are underpaid.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He might not be bad; others just might be better.
2018 RB salaries covered a broad range:
https://www.statista...rk-red-bulls/#0
Ivan at $344K was the only one between 250 & 450.
Currently, everyone else making decent money is worth it.
If anything, some are underpaid.

A bit of survivors bias there...   we don't misstep often, but we also don't often sign guys in that salary range.    We got a really good look at Ivan in an extended trial... we put a lot of effort into signing Keita.      No guarantees.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

We got a really good look at Ivan in an extended trial...  No guarantees.

Our positions might not be inconsistent.
RB gave him an extended trial, and was convinced enough of his abilities to sign him at a good salary.
Since then, better players seem to have emerged.
He may be the same player RB signed.
Just not as go as others.
So, perhaps time for him to go.
His salary can be put to better use.

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Seriously tho, you all should be VERY high on Omir.

"Watch a player on the ball; that's how good he is on the day. Watch a player off the ball; that's how good he is."

Dude moved like an arrow to great spots pretty much every time he released a pass. I would not be at all shocked if he wins a starting job by early summer.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Ive been very anti Ivan since I felt it was appropriate time to judge.

Watched all his play with 1st team and RB2; and he's just not quick enough in his thought and physically to be successful here. He came from the German 4th Division the whole transfer was bizarre and the cynic in me thinks is was to grease an agent whos with someone else that RB Lipzig or Salzburg want or something like that.

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

"Watch a player on the ball; that's how good he is on the day. Watch a player off the ball; that's how good he is."

Dude moved like an arrow to great spots pretty much every time he released a pass. I would not be at all shocked if he wins a starting job by early summer.

This what I saw in the 3 preseason games I attended , I say he will be a starter before long but i am not sure who he will replace

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Im very excited about this guy. Much more than Ivan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users