• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Lets just cut to the chase and abolish the CCL and just have a prestigious liga mx-MLS tourney.

Both leagues can mutually benefit from having this cup done the right way.

5 year plan

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
So stupid, Im so sick of SUM running the game in the country.

Who remembers superLiga?

I hope if we every play in this its rb2/u23 team.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Sounds like they want to make it the Europa League.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Copa NorteAmericana. Opportunity wasted. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Oh joy, another cup we won't be able to win.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
Perhaps this expansion is the alternative to the proposed idea of a combined North American League. That has been an idea socialized to be a legacy after the 2026 FIFA World Cup in North America.

Lets be realistic, that will never happen.....best alternative is an expanded club competition. This Years Leagues Cup version is only between US MLS teams and LigaMX. Next Years expanded version will allow any Canadian/US teams that finish top 4.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

The problem with the Leagues Cup is that they did fuck all to make it actually interesting.

This event is never going to be super serious, so why not try something like...

-Ensure it's MLS vs. Liga MX as long as practicable

-Take a cue from the XFL and have the players earn nice, fat bonuses for every win

-Abandon the bracket and do a series of games, like the cross-conference showcases in college basketball -- the league with the most wins is the "winner"

-Add more teams and make a larger bracket, maybe even include USL Championship and Mexican second division teams

I came up with these in 30 seconds after reading the Leagues Cup announcement.

The event wouldn't be half a stupid if they just put some effort into it, instead of making it a blatant cash grab.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

unless the winner of this automatically qualifies for CCL the following year, i will probably not go to any of these matches. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

So it looks like this tournament is being expanded to 16 Teams. Now, finishing (at least) top 4 in each Conference will guarantee a Team a place in either CONCACAF Champions League or this Leagues Cup.

https://www.espn.com...-16-teams-in-20

So, at least there's a silver lining if we finish outside of the Top 4 this season!

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Dumb cash gab tournament. They literally just cheery picked the teams, cherry picked MLS v Liga MX matches, in areas that will draw well to the Mexican crowds. Should be putting all of this focus into CCL, because that is an actual real tournament, and is similar to all other Champions League competitions on each continent.  We don't need another tournament into an already busy schedule. 

The ONLY way I can see this tournament succeeding is if they make it like a Europa League type tournament, with the winner getting an automatic CCL birth. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

unless the winner of this automatically qualifies for CCL the following year, i will probably not go to any of these matches. 

See, the problem is....they don't care. This tournament is specifically designed for Mexican-American fans. If we play any Liga MX team (and they will alter the bracket to make sure we do), their fans will capitalize on a rare chance to see their team play in person, and scoop up the tickets. Money made. They don't care that's its embarrassing if MLS teams get completely outnumbered in our own stadiums. (I mean, just look at the match ups they chose for this year) They don't care about trying to convert these Mexican fans to MLS fans of their local team. They only care about one thing.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

They only care about one thing.

Then rb will fit right in.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Vamos America LPM!!

Hoping for zero injuries.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I literally care about my coffee cup in the cupboard more than this. I just Ill never watch or follow 1 second of this action. Please make this useless distraction go away.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If this is a replacement to CCL then that's one thing. Hard to justify anybody caring about this unless a meaningful prize on the line.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users