JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

From last night's broadcast...

https://twitter.com/...563024719273984

Not the only tweet on the subject, but person suggests that an offer has been made by Southampton for the MLS Defender of the Year

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

From last night's broadcast...

https://twitter.com/...563024719273984

Not the only tweet on the subject, but person suggests that an offer has been made by Southampton for the MLS Defender of the Year

After last night, they may reconsider

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

I would hate to see him go.  The team management is usually very good at finding and developing great defenders like Tim Ream or  Matt Miaza. The question is does he like being a big fish in small pond or small fish in big one. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
The only saving grace is that he wouldnt qualify for a work permit ... yet.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Im sure a lawyer would be able to dig up some grandparent or great grandparent with eu heritage that will allow him to get an east trasylvanian passport

5 year plan

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

I think he could step up as his growth was incredible (although he did get beat 2x last night on the goal and picked by Morales).

However, if your Long do you want to go from an everyday starter getting paid 800K to maybe riding the bench and making (1.3M? or so - depending on what EPL defenders earn).

I hope we don't sell.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The only saving grace is that he wouldnt qualify for a work permit ... yet.

Not automatically. Good chance he gets a permit on appeal, assuming the interest is real.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Not automatically. Good chance he gets a permit on appeal, assuming the interest is real.

Not really. Unless the club pays way too much for him, he wouldn't get the 4 points required to pass the Objective Analysis part of the Exceptions Panel review.

He could be purchased now to move in the winter though, and if he plays in one Nations League match this fall, then he'll be automatically eligible for a work permit in January, assuming the US's FIFA ranking doesn't drop below 30.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Other than pay this move doesn't seem to make sense for Long.

He's been a journeyman his entire career. He has now settled into a starting role at Red Bull, making good money for MLS standards and is solidifying his place on the national team.

Southampton on the other hand could be in the championship next season and if Long moves over there at age 27+ he probably won't get many starting minutes regardless. Why risk what he has now?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He's been a journeyman his entire career. He has now settled into a starting role at Red Bull, making good money for MLS standards and is solidifying his place on the national team.

Southampton on the other hand could be in the championship next season and if Long moves over there at age 27+ he probably won't get many starting minutes regardless. Why risk what he has now?

Not sure why they would pay money for a guy his age unless they see him as an immediate contributor to their roster.   It makes way more sense for him to take a bigger paycheck at this point, unlike a younger guy that could maybe benefit from some development before making a big move.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Normally I would advocate for a player to stay in MLS but Long is 27. There is no more growth to his game and he may want to taste the epl before his career ends. If I was RBNY, I would give him the option to stay as a DP or Southampton can purchase Long but loan him back to rbny until he qualifies for a work permit.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Not really. Unless the club pays way too much for him, he wouldn't get the 4 points required to pass the Objective Analysis part of the Exceptions Panel review.

He is definitely getting a few points under part B criteria, so it would depend on the subjective review. Far from a slam dunk, but I doubt that Southampton would just willy nilly make a bid if he has no chance of going there now. Preparing a winter bid in July seems a little far-fetched.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Sure it makes sense. Pay raise, it's the EPL (which is probably a dream for him), and he absolutely would have a realistic opportunity to earn meaningful minutes.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

He is definitely getting a few points under part B criteria, so it would depend on the subjective review. Far from a slam dunk, but I doubt that Southampton would just willy nilly make a bid if he has no chance of going there now. Preparing a winter bid in July seems a little far-fetched.

"If a player scores fewer than 4 points by reference to the Part A objective criteria
and a Cumulative Total Score of fewer than 5 points under the Part A and Part B
objective criteria, the Exceptions Panel is guided to refuse a GBE unless it is satisfied, following its subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that his employment will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in England."

I don't see him getting to either 4 or 5. Maybe Berhalter testifies that Long would have played in the group stage finale except for (whatever reason), and they allow him in on the narrowest of exceptions.

Though I'd never doubt the stunning incompetence of English teams with regard to work permits. They fuck up these things all the time.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

The more guys we send to Europe with big contracts, the more attractive it will be to play here. It's a revolving door, and it affects results negatively, but it's not the worst situation. Young  players will continue to want to play for us. Certainly Long is capable of playing in the EPL for a non-top6 team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users