259 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He is definitely getting a few points under part B criteria, so it would depend on the subjective review. Far from a slam dunk, but I doubt that Southampton would just willy nilly make a bid if he has no chance of going there now. Preparing a winter bid in July seems a little far-fetched.

The guy wore the US captains band in the Gold Cup.   There have been exceptions made for less.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

The more guys we send to Europe with big contracts, the more attractive it will be to play here. It's a revolving door, and it affects results negatively, but it's not the worst situation. Young  players will continue to want to play for us. Certainly Long is capable of playing in the EPL for a non-top6 team.

As much as I would love to not rock the boat, now that we have continuity with our backline, Long leaving will only boost our organization's perception as an organization that put young players in position to succeed. Helps our efforts with regards to recruiting, at the Academy level, now that there is no geographical benefits anymore.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

When Armas said roster moves/signing NO one thought is would be Aaron Long signing to EPL team !!!

Very torn on this.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Please nooooo

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

The more guys we send to Europe with big contracts, the more attractive it will be to play here. It's a revolving door, and it affects results negatively, but it's not the worst situation. Young  players will continue to want to play for us. Certainly Long is capable of playing in the EPL for a non-top6 team.

Yeah thats great and all if we actually buy replacements for those that leave. Tarek has been solid enough, so were not in dire straits of Long leaves, although our depth takes a big hit.

On the other hand, we had an entire winter to buy a #6 to try and replace some of Tylers attributes and did nothing. They pumped up CCJ, who looks more like an 8, and start an 8 and a tweener 8/10 over him.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

"If a player scores fewer than 4 points by reference to the Part A objective criteria
and a Cumulative Total Score of fewer than 5 points under the Part A and Part B
objective criteria, the Exceptions Panel is guided to refuse a GBE unless it is satisfied, following its subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that his employment will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in England."

I don't see him getting to either 4 or 5. Maybe Berhalter testifies that Long would have played in the group stage finale except for (whatever reason), and they allow him in on the narrowest of exceptions.

Though I'd never doubt the stunning incompetence of English teams with regard to work permits. They fuck up these things all the time.

He's definitely not automatically getting a work permit like you pointed out. But the language in "unless it is satisfied, following its subjective review [...]" means that the panel can still make an exception, and I don't think it would be a huge surprise if he does get a permit.

Again, assuming the interest is actually real, an offer gets accepted, etc.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Yeah thats great and all if we actually buy replacements for those that leave. Tarek has been solid enough, so were not in dire straits of Long leaves, although our depth takes a big hit.

On the other hand, we had an entire winter to buy a #6 to try and replace some of Tylers attributes and did nothing. They pumped up CCJ, who looks more like an 8, and start an 8 and a tweener 8/10 over him.

I think the consideration made was that our back 4 was so good they could afford a more attack-minded Rza next to Davis, without making a 1-for-1 Adams replacement.  That may still prove to be valid,  we just haven't had a solid back four in place for much of the season to test that.    Last night certainly didn't make me feel all that comfortable with it.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I think the consideration made was that our back 4 was so good they could afford a more attack-minded Rza next to Davis, without making a 1-for-1 Adams replacement. 

Maybe I'm being a little too cynical here but it seems very generous to assume that it was Hamlett's intention not to replace Adams. My bet is he just he ran out of time after trying to keep the rest of the squad together and/or didn't have the connections to make a like-for-like replacement happen.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

isn't it generally agreed that they valued Casseres highly and that's why they didn't feel the need to go and get someone new? And judging from his performances I'd say he normally puts in a good shift. Very mobile (much more than Davis) but needs to clean up his passing. 

Between Rza/Davis/CCJ/and now Beze coming back, I think we are ok in central mid.  Now if we could just do something about our wingback depth...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Maybe I'm being a little too cynical here but it seems very generous to assume that it was Hamlett's intention not to replace Adams. My bet is he just he ran out of time after trying to keep the rest of the squad together and/or didn't have the connections to make a like-for-like replacement happen.

Adams was irreplaceable at any kind of realistic budget number.     

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Adams was irreplaceable at any kind of realistic budget number.     

Correct. Adams is the best player ever produced by our academy. There was no replacement possible that wasn't going to involve a major DP signing. 

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Actually if we sell him now then get him back on loan to the end of the season, we could save some cap space based on how much of the salary the EPL team picks up.

By the way, Brian Sciaretta posted on BigSoccer that his sources say it is not Southampton.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Actually if we sell him now then get him back on loan to the end of the season, we could save some cap space based on how much of the salary the EPL team picks up.

By the way, Brian Sciaretta posted on BigSoccer that his sources say it is not Southampton.

When you get a player on loan, you pay their wages 

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

When you get a player on loan, you pay their wages 

Not necessarily all of them. When Chelsea loans an overpaid player to a cheaper Dutch team, they can offer to pay some percentage of their wages.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Not necessarily all of them. When Chelsea loans an overpaid player to a cheaper Dutch team, they can offer to pay some percentage of their wages.

Sure, but we would be on the hook for whatever wages we would cover, which would almost certainly be whatever he's getting now, and it would be a zero-sum game netting whatever they subsidize it coming out of whatever they would have  paid for the xfer fee.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users