259 replies to this topic

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Sure, but we would be on the hook for whatever wages we would cover, which would almost certainly be whatever he's getting now, and it would be a zero-sum game netting whatever they subsidize it coming out of whatever they would have  paid for the xfer fee.  

Yeah, after I posted I remembered that he is a TAM player (right?) so the cap hit is already too confusing to calculate. So never mind.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

By the way, Brian Sciaretta posted on BigSoccer that his sources say it is not Southampton.

Well, we know it's not Chelsea...
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Not necessarily all of them. When Chelsea loans an overpaid player to a cheaper Dutch team, they can offer to pay some percentage of their wages.

MLS would have to also approve the terms of the loan. That is why Leipzig or Manchester city couldnt get messi and loan him to one of the ny teams for $1

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

MLS would have to also approve the terms of the loan. That is why Leipzig or Manchester city couldnt get messi and loan him to one of the ny teams for $1

Pretty sure MLS would approve that exact loan in a heartbeat!

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
He was playing for RB II not long ago. Now hes wearing the captains armband for the Nats.

If he has a chance to go to the Premiership, go.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Pretty sure MLS would approve that exact loan in a heartbeat!

Garber would, but I'm not sure the owners all would.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Garber would, but I'm not sure the owners all would.

I'd guess they would all be happy with the increased overall attendance and TV/sponsorship money. Most if not all are in it for the money, not for winning titles.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

If he has a chance to go to the Premiership, go.

Say no more.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

Actually if we sell him now then get him back on loan to the end of the season, we could save some cap space based on how much of the salary the EPL team picks up.

By the way, Brian Sciaretta posted on BigSoccer that his sources say it is not Southampton.

Off topic - I just learned three things; I still have a BigSoccer account, I somehow remembered the login, and it's been over 15 years since I've been on that shitty site and I haven't missed a thing.

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Off topic - I just learned three things; I still have a BigSoccer account, I somehow remembered the login, and it's been over 15 years since I've been on that shitty site and I haven't missed a thing.

Yes, same boat. All of this.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

have a BigSoccer account ... been over 15 years since I've been on that shitty site and I haven't missed a thing.

You are not alone. TG for MF, even on its worst days.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
I'm not sure I'd still be a fan of this team without metrofanatic.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos

I'm not sure I'd still be a fan of this team without metrofanatic.

Seconded

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund

Update:

http://www.noshortco...-long-game.html

I can confirm that rumored suitor Southampton is in fact not after the reigning MLS Defender of the Year - but the true parts of the story are actually more interesting.

As noted over the weekend by FS1 commentator Brian Dunseth, Long has been the subject of multiple transfer offers out of the EPL. What he did not note was that a) both offers came from the same club trying twice and b) the Red Bulls are thus far (according to Long's agent) "not willing to even entertain a negotiation." This is in spite of the fact that c) the US international wants to make the move.

Long also has interest from elsewhere in Europe; I highly suspect at least some of it is coming from the Bundesliga, but as of yet have been unable to confirm that.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Are they trying to low-ball us? It's the only way I can see them holding onto him if he has European aspiration.

I'd have to think he'd at least go for $10M. MLS all star caliber, starter for us nats, good size and speed, and young enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users