TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Matthew Olosunde play left back? 

Signed with Rotherham. The prevailing logic is this signing isnt a depth signing, so it has to be someone who moves the needle, in theory.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

In theory, we haven't made a move since paying for Jorgensen? Paid $2 million for a guy who can barely get off the bench for the reserve team

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Hold on for one more day, everyone. #ThingsWillGoYourWay

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=5IvxnK3xZtg

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

We need depth at left back for sure.  Definitely not a starter.  And if the player is a LB/LM, I'm guessing they aren't a guaranteed starter at LM either.

The positions we could use a legitimate starter are CDM and RM.  Maybe striker but White is doing pretty well there.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

We need depth at left back for sure.  Definitely not a starter.  And if the player is a LB/LM, I'm guessing they aren't a guaranteed starter at LM either.

The positions we could use a legitimate starter are CDM and RM.  Maybe striker but White is doing pretty well there.

Theres a disconnect saying you arent signing depth and then go ahead and sign depth.

They do have a track record recently of promising first XI contributors who dont wind up contributing all that much.

Last few signings: Jørgensen, Ivan

I agree though, I would target a CDM before anywhere else if we are going to make a signing, which I still am highly skeptical of

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Theres a disconnect saying you arent signing depth and then go ahead and sign depth.

They do have a track record recently of promising first XI contributors who dont wind up contributing all that much.

Last few signings: Jørgensen, Ivan

I agree though, I would target a CDM before anywhere else if we are going to make a signing, which I still am highly skeptical of

Oh, agree completely.  That's clearly an issue.

Jorgensen is a pup and he shows some really good things so I'm still optimistic about him.  Ivan did look good early season but never got consistent minutes so who knows if that hurt him worse.

We need a 6.  And we need to stop playing Rza as a 6.  I actually like Rza but my preference would be him playing farther up the field where he can create more defensively.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Jorgensen is a pup and he shows some really good things so I'm still optimistic about him.  Ivan did look good early season but never got consistent minutes so who knows if that hurt him worse.

We need a 6.  And we need to stop playing Rza as a 6.  I actually like Rza but my preference would be him playing farther up the field where he can create more defensively.

If you are paying $2 million for a player in MLS, he better be a key player from the onset.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

In theory, we haven't made a move since paying for Jorgensen? Paid $2 million for a guy who can barely get off the bench for the reserve team

lol

Jorgensen was initially disappointing, still has LOTS to grow but has 8 goals ~ 12 games and just made team of the week. 

ROFLOL on maybe striker

White stats for this season are fantastic - per Joe GOldstein twitter.  Doesn't get a lot of shots but converts

16th in the league in goals and then...

Top 5 + 1 goals per 90 in MLS: 1. Vela 1.05 2. Ibrahimovic 0.89 3. Altidore 0.87 4. Martinez 0.86 5. Heber 0.83 6. White 0.65

Top 5 in total shots converted in MLS: 1. White 34.8% 2. Altidore 29% 3. Heber 25% 4. Martinez 22.1% 5. Vela 20.4%

Top 5 in shots on goal converted in MLS: 1. White 80% 2. Wondo 56.3% 3. Martinez 54.8% 4. Heber 52.9% 5. Altidore 50%

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

agree on Jorgensen.

I think RZA is best as #8 advanced destroyer creator (a la Adams v Toronto) with Davis and CCJ behind him which moves Kaku to the wing.  

I think playing him this way is best and might ? also disrupt other teams long ball ability.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

If you are paying $2 million for a player in MLS, he better be a key player from the onset.

This I just disagree with. If you bring in a guy like him because you think he's going to explode in the next year or two where in the future you know you'll never even have a chance at getting him, then you go ahead and do it.  You hope he makes a big impact right away but that's not the way sports work sometimes.  Next year is the meaningful year for him in my opinion.  BWP will be gone and it's a battle between White and Jorg for that spot.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

This I just disagree with. If you bring in a guy like him because you think he's going to explode in the next year or two where in the future you know you'll never even have a chance at getting him, then you go ahead and do it.  You hope he makes a big impact right away but that's not the way sports work sometimes.  Next year is the meaningful year for him in my opinion.  BWP will be gone and it's a battle between White and Jorg for that spot.

In a vacuum sure, but we had and still have specific needs and wasting precious resources on a long shot is maybe good for business but not for the team's obvious current needs. It's not like we signed Jorgensen and few other players able to contribute now, that was our only signing basically.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

In a vacuum sure, but we had and still have specific needs and wasting precious resources on a long shot is maybe good for business but not for the team's obvious current needs. It's not like we signed Jorgensen and few other players able to contribute now, that was our only signing basically.

In the world of MLS, there is no place for spending millions on a potential future. A signing of that magnitude needs to contribute quickly. And I agree with you... if you are able to make 4-5 signings then you can make a couple of gambles. If there are only 1 or 2 signings, then they need to be more precise. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Agree with all of that.  Just saying the premise behind getting Jorgensen was good. BWP is going to be a goner and we need a replacement.  We got him a year early but he's young and learning the system for a season is not a bad thing.

Can't defend not signing anyone else.  Outside of depth, the only position I really think we need is the 6 position though.   At least going by how I'd run the team anyway.  I just think our biggest issue is the coach.  These guys are good, we've seen it and now most of them are not good.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

http://www.americans...d-bull-breakout

Two more goals will have him in double digits and there is a good chance the MLS season could finish with White as the league’s leading American goal scorer under 30 years old. 

In that perspective, a call-up to the national team for January camp becomes an entirely realistic goal – even if White insists he is not thinking about it. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

http://www.americans...d-bull-breakout

Two more goals will have him in double digits and there is a good chance the MLS season could finish with White as the league’s leading American goal scorer under 30 years old. 

In that perspective, a call-up to the national team for January camp becomes an entirely realistic goal – even if White insists he is not thinking about it. 

Oh agree.  I don't know how much more we can expect as far as production goes from a different striker.  And that's the big reason I'm not really interested in picking one up.  We need a 6 and depth at LB and RB.  

If we go with the 3-3-3-1 formation, then we need a 4th CB as well because Nealis aint it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users