• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Sims really changes the look of the team. We just now have a legitimately good player in the front 4.

And I've said a bunch of times that Rza in the front 4 makes us look good. Shame today that it came at the expense of Kaku but he just causes so many issues up there.

Happy that Armas has realized that Buckmaster should never play over Duncan. And Duncan isn't perfect either but still better than Buckmaster

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

At least since Wed v. Portland!
Similar stats.

Defense and overall we looked shakey in the second half vs Portland. We didn't really let Philly get the same dangerous scoring chances that we let Portland have.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Sims really changes the look of the team. We just now have a legitimately good player in the front 4.

And I've said a bunch of times that Rza in the front 4 makes us look good. Shame today that it came at the expense of Kaku but he just causes so many issues up there.

Happy that Armas has realized that Buckmaster should never play over Duncan. And Duncan isn't perfect either but still better than Buckmaster

Im sorry but RZA is nothing more than a fill in guy at the 10 spot. Have no problem benching Davis and playing RZA next to CCJ (I think RZA is a better line breaking passer and shuttler than Davis).

Instantly became more dangerous with Kaku on the field. 2nd goal doesnt happen without him.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Kaku shouldnt be benched again, but Rza was fine.  As long as Casseres is back there with one of Davis or Rza the pivot is playable.  Sims was outstanding, gives us the workrate the system needs out wide without compromising ability on the ball.  Also nice that BWP looked alright in his sub appearance.

At this point the team lineup should right itself and we are trending in the right direction.  Defense was a lot better this game than it was against Portland.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Nice win and another shutout!
Some nervy moments but it worked out.
Happy for Barlow and Hope that assist boosts BWP confidence

Kaku might still be working out his calf strain. RZA has done well. Looking forward to a full game of Sims Kaku and Royer

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

it'll suck if they bring 1000+ and park them under the roof in the northside upper deck on Sunday. Won't bode well. 

That sure didnt end up being the case. Looked they like brought roughly as many as we had in the PNW. Maybe a hair more. My estimation was 150, at the very most.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Some really stupid giveaways in midfield and a bunch of positional mistakes in defense. A better team will punish those in the playoffs.

Happy for the win but doesnt change my mind at all about their chances.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Some really stupid giveaways in midfield and a bunch of positional mistakes in defense. A better team will punish those in the playoffs.

This is one of the better teams in the league. We've certainly played worse against much weaker teams. A flawless team doesn't exist in MLS.

Just depends on whether we can play several complete games in a row. We are all sceptical but you never know.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

team seems to get up for a game vs a good opponent. a shit load of our losses came against crap teams below in the standings. we won't be playing many of those garbage teams going fwd. 

ALSO:

Sims' acceleration on the 1st goal. He just blew by the defender. He's not Dane/Oduro fast, but JFC he is up there. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

team seems to get up for a game vs a good opponent. a shit load of our losses came against crap teams below in the standings. we won't be playing many of those garbage teams going fwd. 

ALSO:
Sims' acceleration on the 1st goal. He just blew by the defender. He's not Dane/Oduro fast, but JFC he is up there. 

But he does have a wee bit more ball control passing ability and Defense :-)
Good stuff from him

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Seemed to me the biggest difference in the past two games is having Duncan play at the level he showed he could last year, and having Sims as a real attacking threat (that burst of speed he has is a real difference maker).    

When one guy in the backline is off, everything gets disorganized.  We didn't see that last night.   Its far better to have a defender defend and an attacker attack, rather than run the offense through Murillo and have Muyl do whatever it is Muyl does in front of him.

Royer had a bad game (by his standards, despite the goal) but we weren't so completely dependent on him, and it made a world of difference.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Seemed to me the biggest difference in the past two games is having Duncan play at the level he showed he could last year, and having Sims as a real attacking threat (that burst of speed he has is a real difference maker).    

When one guy in the backline is off, everything gets disorganized.  We didn't see that last night.   Its far better to have a defender defend and an attacker attack, rather than run the offense through Murillo and have Muyl do whatever it is Muyl does in front of him.

Royer had a bad game (by his standards, despite the goal) but we weren't so completely dependent on him, and it made a world of difference.  

Royer and Davis were terrible in this one. That Davis turnover in the first half will be a goal in the playoffs. And that Royer miss will be even more unforgivable.

Duncan played better defensively in this game than anyone else out of the clown car this season. There were some positional errors but no real howlers and thats all we can hope for since Pappa Red Bull is a cheap bastard.

Sims has been very good the past two games. Id like to see him get a goal before the playoffs just so that it isnt on his mind.

BWP also looked sharper.

Not too worried about scoring, but Royer Rza and Davis need to cut it out w the cheap giveaways.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Duncan was back to early 2018 Duncan + very good fight level.  

Whole D played with attitude.  Good for them to have a run of shutouts.  

Good For Barlow confidence to get one, good for BWP confidence to get assist.  

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
Royer's first touch on the goal was horrific. He was really bad all night. Hopefully he'll pick it up.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Philly is the 4th best team in the league in the current standings, they have been having a great season.

The win really doesn't change my mind about us winning 4 straight games either but there aren't many teams better than Philly right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users