65 replies to this topic

Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Supports:METRO! USMNT
Dax McCarty will have his hands full with DC United. Tainio is out and all the defensive midfield duties will lie on him. Hopefully Dax will be able to neutralize his old teammates and De Rosario. I thought he worked very well with Tainio but without him, we'll see where Dax stands. I believe he's a quick transitional player between the defense and midfield, Hopefully they slide Lindpere to help him out. But I do think overall this might be a better fit for us than De-Ro was. We needed that control and retention in defense, De-Ro was good on attack but with Henry, Lindpere, Richards, Rodgers etc on the attack, it was definitely leaving a gaping hole back there. Welcome aboard Dax!
As long as im breathing....

Rooney22

Rooney22

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro
Everybody was thrilled with Ballouchy early on as well....

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:metro
I'd be more than happy if he works out for us but like others have said it's a bit early to call this one. I've liked Dax since his youth Nat days but I've been overall underwhelmed by his pro career up to this point. But with that said playing next to and learning from Tainio could do wonders for his future. Also the idea that he's considered a veteran in midfield and the league at just 24 is funny but it happens in MLS.

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Everybody was thrilled with Ballouchy early on as well....

Not really. He scored a goal, but he wasn't playing well. This is different.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I really hope that McCarty plays his heart out to show up DC's management, because you know DeRo is going to be stellar to show up RBNY for dumping him.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

There are so many reasons why this was a good trade, but I think most importantly, it gives Teemu some space. After the first few games where he basically commanded the field, teams figured out that you could cut the head off the beast by double teaming him. Then he was stuck passing the ball back or getting hacked, with noone in the middle to help him out. Dax relieves the pressure and gives him someone to thread the ball to.

That being said, I miss that big hunk of meat at the top of the box. Tchani had a lot of problems, he was a rookie for pete's sake. But he was big, and he was a target. I guess Tank is a little hunk of meat who runs around a lot, so we don't need him, but still... he's going to be big one day. Mostly because we let him go. If he stayed he would have wallowed and we would have hated him for it.

I'll take good passing and decision making ahead of sheer physical size any day of the week. Tchani's downside is that he was raw. It is still unclear whether or not he will gain the level of finesse to match his other attributes.

Dax plays the ball quickly which Tony did/does not. Since a passed ball moves faster than a player can run it is a more desirable asset than sheer speed.

We scored 5 goals WITHOUT DeRo. We regained the balance in the squad necessary to both attack AND defend.

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

We scored 5 goals WITHOUT DeRo. We regained the balance in the squad necessary to both attack AND defend.

It's been said before but TFC is a terrible team to judge our squad's play on. Though it was a damn good scrimmage/practice game for us to work Dax into the team.

-MetroSquard

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

It's been said before but TFC is a terrible team to judge our squad's play on. Though it was a damn good scrimmage/practice game for us to work Dax into the team.

Totally agree. We didn't just put 5 past L.A. or Dallas. DC went up to Toronto and gave them a beat down. After that all the soccer media talking heads were playing up a "resurgant DC United" before the last game we played them. Toronto sucks, Vancouver sucks, the Canadian "championship" is crap.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Agreed that TFC is pretty lousy, but the improved balance is still there. DeRo just didn't work hard enough. When you are a CM you have to chase everyone down and position yourself to be helpful when the play is away from you. It is the ultimate in constant motion. DeRo too often pulled the "striker" attitude, "he's by me so I'll let someone else deal with it now".

A big part of Dane's growth which is helping us, but doesn't get a lot of press is that he is now very aggressive and active in defending, not just in attacking. A better two-way movement by dane tightens up that side immeasurably.

DeRo would sometimes come back in a timely matter and sometimes not. The inconsistency put us under a lot of pressure. 3-3 games are more exciting, but 1-0's or 2-1's are what wins championships. We lost a little offense, but we gained a lot of defense in the trade. Dax is a good passer and has good vision, so excepting the final 3rd, I'm not sure we lost at all in the buildup/quick release phase of our attack.

DC will be a better test, though perhaps an imperfect one with Teemu out.

JerseyTexan

JerseyTexan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

PLUS, coming over to 133 after the match, hopping over the advert boards and shaking hands with the entire front row was pure class. :cheers:

Agreed. He gets it.

McCarty Greets NY Fans, Pledges Dedication

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

“I know it means a lot to them so it means a lot to me,” he said. “So I just wanted to go over there and show them that I appreciate their support.“ - Dax

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Agreed. He gets it.

McCarty Greets NY Fans, Pledges Dedication

His attitude is refreshing and as many of us know has not always been the case with our players throughout the years. It probably helps that the players don't always have to go underneath or past the South Ward after a shitty performance. :P

-MetroSquard

thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Supports:New Jersey

Whenever I see RSL play, I see Beckerman and think they're lucky to have him, hopefully Dax will stick around long enough to develop into soemthing like that.

Very accurate comparison. I always liked Dax, I said that from the beginning. I like the way he plays and he's younger than Dro, hopefully we can lock him up long term (I have no idea what his contract looks like right now) and I'd be proud for him to be one of the faces of our franchise in the coming years. Again, it is early, after a few games last year, Ballouchy looked like exactly what this team needed, so let's see.
Support your local baymen, eat Jersey clams

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

His attitude is refreshing and as many of us know has not always been the case with our players throughout the years. It probably helps that the players don't always have to go underneath or past the South Ward after a shitty performance. :P

It probably does. There's also been very few poor home games comparatively speaking.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
i remember seeing Dax with the USA B team a few times. He was one of the better players for us. Plus its great to have another american on the team, especially one that plays heavy mins.

I really hope DeRo comes out super duper amped on saturday so he can boot balls into the upper deck

5 year plan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users