31 replies to this topic

metros11

metros11

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Just remember, there's a very DISTINCT difference between being owned by a billionaire, and owned by a committee of "millionaires", or worse - ONE millionaire. I mean do we REALLY want to be the New Jersey equivalent of the Philadelphia Union?

Why are you using Philadelphia as an example, as opposed to let's say Salt Lake or Kansas City?

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I don't see what Red Bull does right. There can never be a true connection when you're a walking billboard for their product. I mean, if they were somewhat in touch with the fan base and reality, would learn from their mistakes, and could make a meaningful connection and tribute to the team history on an ongoing and permanent basis, maybe things wouldn't be so bad. But when you are big business, personal touches aren't the norm. Consider the fact that the purse strings have been tightened and it's public knowledge that the team is lower priority than other billboards, and it's not a coincidence that many people are fed up with it all.

Who truly connects with the brand? Young party-goers and maybe hipsters? What legitimate soccer fan can celebrate such a faceless and clueless ownership and front office?

I think everyone is in agreement...the money was the only thing making this tolerable. It's intolerable now (and has been for a long time for some).

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

Let me ask you ALL a question here... Now suppose that one day finally comes and Red Bull says "fuck it" and sells... Then what?

We just have Ader or another person with "deep pockets" take over and all is well and dandy in Metroland where everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya?

Just remember, there's a very DISTINCT difference between being owned by a billionaire, and owned by a committee of "millionaires", or worse - ONE millionaire. I mean do we REALLY want to be the New Jersey equivalent of the Philadelphia Union? If possibly surrendering the NYC Metro area to NYCFC and the Cosmos is a trade-off to removing RB from our existence, that's not a trade I'm not sure I would really want to make.

And if you really don't know the difference, I don't know what to tell you. Again, I'm not saying the team being owned by RB is the best thing in the world, but bear in mind and take it from a Knicks fan, things COULD be bleeping worse...

Why does it matter what the net worth of your owner is? Who cares if they can;t afford to overspend on a ton of aging DP's all the time. That stuff isn't what is important, what is important is having an owner that is committed to the team, that in involved and who hire good people to make sure the team (even without mega stars) is successful and makes the fans proud.

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Of course i made that comparison. They can't afford any "big name" players. They have to go young or cherry-pick guys from the draft or elsewhere. You honestly think a guy like Christano Ronaldo or even Xavi is going to sign and suit up for them? How will they afford his salary? That's what I'm talking about here. Don't think the decision is solely based on where a player practices and plays is the reason he signed his name on a contract. All of those factors come into play.

If we can get a owner that's willing to go big time without stretching himself or the club too thin, then fine. Otherwise, let's wait until we get the right guy for the club. Not some fool with some money.

I don't think this team is cheap enough for a fly-by-knight owner without much money.  I truly think this club is too expensive (now that Red Bull has all of these assets and infrastructure) for a guy like Andrew Hauptman or the Philly group to buy right now.  With everything included, this team is probably going to fetch somewhere close (call it 75-80%) of what the Islanders would have sold for if Wang gave up the whole team.

There is always a risk with new owners.  What I think many in this fanbase have realized right now, is that we're ready to take a risk with new guys rather than live with the status quo.  If they're engaged, if they "get it" and are willing to build a proper team that prioritizes winning over branding experiments and believes in representing the local fans, that's what we're looking for.  

Also, Heinemann isn't a billionaire and neither is Precourt.  Both are turning two historically down franchises into a success story right in front of our eyes.

#RedBullOut

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Who truly connects with the brand? Young party-goers and maybe hipsters? What legitimate soccer fan can celebrate such a faceless and clueless ownership and front office?

In the world of Red Bull nothing is bigger than the brand. They judge "connection" based on market data and sales figures. The don't care about legitimate soccer fans, sure they'd love it if 10s of thousands of supporters went all fucking Viking Army and promoted their brand like Jerry McGuire promoting Rod Tidwell, but at the need of the day all they care about is eyes on the brand and pushing the lifestyle brand.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

With everything included, this team is probably going to fetch somewhere close (call it 75-80%) of what the Islanders would have sold for if Wang gave up the whole team.

Frankly based on the numbers i have heard, Red Bull is significantly over valuing their holdings. As long as they insist on an unrealistic figure there wont be any buyers, especially since the #1 reason for the investment and stadium construction (development tie ins) wont be there. Instead they will just be buying a stake in MLS LLC, a fractured and historically disappointing franchise, and a depreciating stadium asset that incurs taxes. 

They should consider themselves lucky to get an offer of $200-225 million.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

As long as it's not Arab money and we don't become ANOTHER walking advertisement, I'd be happy.  I could again feel proud of my local team and wear their gear.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

I'll celebrate that's what if...

I will take another shitty owner because this one had its chance and blew it, let some other billionaire try to do something here that rb never wanted to.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

NYC is Red

NYC is Red

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Man United, US Soccer

Can we just wait until they sign a DP this summer until we say they aren't spending any money? 

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Frankly based on the numbers i have heard, Red Bull is significantly over valuing their holdings. As long as they insist on an unrealistic figure there wont be any buyers, especially since the #1 reason for the investment and stadium construction (development tie ins) wont be there. Instead they will just be buying a stake in MLS LLC, a fractured and historically disappointing franchise, and a depreciating stadium asset that incurs taxes. 

They should consider themselves lucky to get an offer of $200-225 million.

Didn't it come out that there has been a ton of people/groups looking to buy the team but Red Bull just keeps telling people the teams not for sale?

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Can we just wait until they sign a DP this summer until we say they aren't spending any money? 

Why? It's been publicly stated that the money isn't there like it used to be.

Publicly. Stated.

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

I'll never get over the name thing - it's that simple. It's not that I don't want to be a billboard...it's that I think the name severely impairs our chances to be a popular and respected club. It's embarrassing, and it's stupid, and it's liable to change at the drop of a hat.

A lot of people say, "Well, who chooses whether to support a club based on its name?"...which sounds like it makes sense, but is actually pretty dumb. Of course the symbols, the branding, the image, and the general "cool" factor matter for a sports team. Especially when it has local competition. Would the Yankees really be more popular than the Mets if they had spent the last couple decades as the Tide Detergent Fucktards?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I prefer them to some Middle East zillionaire. They came to the rescue of this franchise which was in the process of folding and bringing MLS down with it. Don't forget that.

Now MLS is doing pretty well and the soccer landscape in the US looks bright. There are even imitators out there like the NASL and the team that was brought (or should I say "bought"?) back from the dead.

Yeah, unfortunately we are billboards for their money product and we've never won the Cup. But the world is not perfect.

Few people have defended RB over the years more than I have.  But what made them what I considered to be good owners  - a willingness to spend money, and a slow-but-steady improvement in the way they do things - completely disappeared this year.   I don't miss the previous owners, I don't care about the energy drink stuff, I don't care that their other teams are a bigger priority.  I care that they have apparently decided to go cheap, to throw away any ambition, at a time in this league when I don't believe you can compete like that, not anymore.    

I am furious about the Petke shit show (I will still wear his jersey to every game), but if they were serious about investing in making us a  winner, I'd get past it (later, rather than sooner, but eventually).    I don't see it.  It is INEXCUSABLE for us to have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.  No matter how smart you think you are, no matter how committed you are to a "balanced roster,"  more money = a better team = a better fan experience.    

The old me would have given them the benefit of the doubt, rationalizing that it makes sense for them to get settled, take time to evaluate what they have, so they can make a smart choice for the big name DP(s) they will get over the summer.    The new me thinks they are just hoping and praying they can go forever without signing anyone meaningful, if at all possible.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

They have been holding onto this "DP" money ever since Rafa left. 

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Arsenal, USMNT, & the 4-2-3-1

just waiting for mountain dew to buy us and then we will be known as   new york dew... lol.

trading taurine for that Yellow 5. oh yeah!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users