110 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The draft isn't what it was, but when it's your job to draft people, you make the effort to do it right.   These are players that someone else invested in training and we get for free.  Lazy not to do the work in hope of finding something of value there.

I get what youre saying, but the team has limited resources to apply to player acquisitions. The question is how much are they going to put into the draft v player development and bring players in from abroad? There are definitely gems to be found in the draft, but if youre Schneider you might feel your time & energy is just better spent elsewhere.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Surely there are some other Hamlett's out there in MLS.

A scary thought.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I get what youre saying, but the team has limited resources to apply to player acquisitions. The question is how much are they going to put into the draft v player development and bring players in from abroad? There are definitely gems to be found in the draft, but if youre Schneider you might feel your time & energy is just better spent elsewhere.

How much effort does it take to ask a kid if he plans on playimg soccer?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

How much effort does it take to ask a kid if he plans on playimg soccer?

He did want to play, but he changed his mind. It happens.

richbatt

richbatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

I get what youre saying, but the team has limited resources to apply to player acquisitions. The question is how much are they going to put into the draft v player development and bring players in from abroad? There are definitely gems to be found in the draft, but if you're Schneider you might feel your time & energy is just better spent elsewhere.

Then here's a suggestion (paraphrasing what someone said earlier): admit the draft is a low priority. Trade down/out of the first round. Now you have 50K of GAM and maybe a #50 pick.  Now a Haddock story is in line with expectations. 

nb: S Nealis wasn't even our first round pick! 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Then here's a suggestion (paraphrasing what someone said earlier): admit the draft is a low priority. Trade down/out of the first round. Now you have 50K of GAM and maybe a #50 pick.  Now a Haddock story is in line with expectations. 

nb: S Nealis wasn't even our first round pick! 

we took Sean Nealis with the first pick in second round and due to expansion that pick would now be a first rounder.  in general i am ok keeping draft picks its a lottery but have a staple of underpaid domestic talent to is the 2nd most important thing to winning in MLS besides DPs. just dont pay to trade up for people.

Haddock if we wanted him to have surgery and he declined is what it is.  if hes the best goalie you take him, draft isnt deep enough where you shouldnt take the top talents and hope to work things out. Haddock knew how much MLS players made when he was invited to MLS camps so this could just be a change of heart on what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users