360 replies to this topic

#16 Catamount

Catamount

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

Right because Gordon was completely ineffective on Sunday right??? He was our third leading scorer last year playing in about half the minutes. He was more productive than Sir Goldenballs and makes 1/10 the money. He's no McBride but he's a decent option.

Flash has decent touch for a big target guy (not sure why the criticism of his touch). My concern is more that he doesn't drop his weight enough so he's easier to knock off balance than he should be as a target player. I think CapO is right here. He produces goals at a good clip when he's in the game as a box finisher. He's not a lot of help in the build up. Perhaps if he could develop better lower body strength and learn to drop his weight as a target player, he'd be able to see the field more. As it is he's a decent third or fourth striker at a decent price.

#17 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

I Kirk does well in Minn, I bet Sigi goes after him as I believe Sigi drafted him. The kid had speed and size, but his touches were "Ngwenyaesque".

Qirk was a Doug Hamilton call. It was during the tenure of Fat Head Sampson when he got drafted.

#18 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

Flash has decent touch for a big target guy (not sure why the criticism of his touch).

You need to get to more games and watch him warm up. He can't even play 5v2 keep away. Gordon plays defense throughout the entire warm up. if 5v2 turns includes mandatory juggling, forget about it. His touch is worse than Michael J Fox, Muhammed Ali, and Pope JP combined. He's officially the worst player on the team and quite possibly the least skilled player in the league.

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#19 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

Remember when the equipment guy got a trot out during the "WILL PLAY FOR BEER" game?
He was about as good as Flash.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#20 Gunner

Gunner

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts
  • Supports:G's, Arsenal, Inter Milan, Ajax

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

Flash has decent touch for a big target guy (not sure why the criticism of his touch). My concern is more that he doesn't drop his weight enough so he's easier to knock off balance than he should be as a target player. I think CapO is right here. He produces goals at a good clip when he's in the game as a box finisher. He's not a lot of help in the build up. Perhaps if he could develop better lower body strength and learn to drop his weight as a target player, he'd be able to see the field more. As it is he's a decent third or fourth striker at a decent price.

Are you guys for real? I'm sure off the field he's a great guy, but he really lacks a great deal for a professional player.
He has little to no technique, his first touch leaves a lot to be desired, he doesn’t know how to play off the ball, he doesn't know how to time his runs, etc etc...really I can go on and on about him.

You can't serious defend this guy based on the few goals he's scored after all even a broken watch is right twice a day.

#21 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

I don't think a recent G has had such a polarizing effect on people around here. And by people I mean people who's opinion I respect on the boards which is about six and counting...

Gordon doesn't have the best touch by any stretch of the imagination. Is he the best target forward in MLS? Not even close. Does he finish his chances? Not often enough. However, does he suck at the level Gunner and Jamesy claim? I don't think so. I saw him on tons of occasions last year show for the ball and make good touches to lay it off to LD or whoever. He does a good job most of time of holding up possession when the service is half decent. That's a huge part of the equation. His service most of time last year was driven balls neck high or a ball six feet away waist high. Nobody would succeed with that.

I don't think he's a 90 minute player but he's a serviceable option off the bench when we need somebody as an aerial threat to add to the attack. He proved that on Saturday. He got involved right away was involved in both goals we had.

#22 prrnrngr

prrnrngr

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:The LA galaxy, The Sox, The DC5
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Boston Red Sox

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

How about lothar osiander and octavio zambrano

#23 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

I saw him on tons of occasions last year show for the ball and make good touches to lay it off to LD or whoever.

We're watching two incredibly different games. we need a new thread dedicated to this...

#24 MattJack

MattJack

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sports and Women.
  • Supports:Galaxy, AC Milan, Italy, USMNT

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Gordon sucks golden balls.. hes trash, horrible touch and the only reason he got those goals is because he was the tallest guy on our team last season.

Now we have Sanneh and Gonzalez to put in those headers.. Oh who am I kidding we still suck.

#25 Random Mayhem

Random Mayhem

First Team

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Interests:Soccer and Strippers
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, NUFC

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

I have to go with Gunner and Jamesey on this one....Gordon is not good. He's not horrendous, but he's closer to that camp then good. Effort is one thing, i'm sure he's trying...but the fact is he's mediocre at best.

Touch? How often have you ever seen him one time a ball into the goal...or take a ball on a runaway and score. He's a big dude, and his headers are rarely on frame or in goal.

#26 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

I was thinking about our players with dreadlocks in 2005 the other day

Joseph Ngwenya - http://en.wikipedia..../Joseph_Ngwenya - he's playing in Turkey. with Antalyaspor

Mamba Chisoni - http://en.wikipedia....ubarike_Chisoni - Indiana Invaders

Pando Ramirez http://en.wikipedia....llermo_Ramírez - municipal

Cobi Jones - assistant Galaxy coach (duh)

#27 Gunner

Gunner

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts
  • Supports:G's, Arsenal, Inter Milan, Ajax

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

The problem here and (I blame this entirely on youth soccer in the US) is that slowly but surely he is developing into a decent player, but his development should of happened at a much younger age at , say College, High School, Club level.

He's much too old to be teaching the little nuances of the game, running into space, one touch passes, taking shots on goal without having to take 5 touches first, kicking it right to the gk when you have an open net, trying to dribble the ball into the goal, or my favorite of all time, tying your fucking shoelaces on the run of play..... part of the American coach's problem is that they mistake hustle for skill. Hustle is great and all, but if you look at his overall performances he just isn't there yet, and by the time it gets there he'll be too old to contribute to the team effectively. If you are going to waster roster time developing a player, make it a young one, Trystan Bowen or Isreal Sesay.

For the record I feel the exact same way about Eddie Johnson.

#28 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

BMac is a smurf...

Saw Xavier eating lunch in Bev Hills.

#29 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

The quitter resurfaces.

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#30 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

I don't think a recent G has had such a polarizing effect on people around here. And by people I mean people who's opinion I respect on the boards which is about six and counting...

Gordon doesn't have the best touch by any stretch of the imagination. Is he the best target forward in MLS? Not even close. Does he finish his chances? Not often enough. However, does he suck at the level Gunner and Jamesy claim? I don't think so. I saw him on tons of occasions last year show for the ball and make good touches to lay it off to LD or whoever. He does a good job most of time of holding up possession when the service is half decent. That's a huge part of the equation. His service most of time last year was driven balls neck high or a ball six feet away waist high. Nobody would succeed with that.

I don't think he's a 90 minute player but he's a serviceable option off the bench when we need somebody as an aerial threat to add to the attack. He proved that on Saturday. He got involved right away was involved in both goals we had.

When Flash stops scoring goals at a 1 per 270 minute pace and the G's stop scoring when he's in the game, bench him, waive him, trade him, whatever. Until then, let's keep him and his goals whatever they look like. I personally don't mind ugly soccer as long as it bags more onions than the opponent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users