20 replies to this topic

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Usl and MLS both used each other usl needed mls to prop its league up. MLS needed better development option and probably wanted to destroy the nasl. They both won and at this point they dont need each other

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

at this point they dont need each other

IMO, they do. Soccer is not big enough in the USA for its professional leagues to work independently or at cross-purposes. While I do not foresee pro/rel, I do hope that MLS continues to participate in the USOC, particularly in a round where all or most clubs play away to lower-division opposition.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
The move is a smart one. We will be one of 3 teams fielding a USL team next season while MLS fields the new reserve league and works out the struggles. The word is expanded rosters for MLS teams with reserve players rather than two different rosters, however I think this will work like MLB/MiLB with "active" rosters. Still, a perk vs. USL where we need to sign a player to a MLS deal in order to get them on the roster. I would not be shocked, at all, if we field both with the USL team featuring mostly U23 and academy players and the reserve league featuring more first team players not getting much time with the first team.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

The move is a smart one. We will be one of 3 teams fielding a USL team next season while MLS fields the new reserve league and works out the struggles. The word is expanded rosters for MLS teams with reserve players rather than two different rosters, however I think this will work like MLB/MiLB with "active" rosters. Still, a perk vs. USL where we need to sign a player to a MLS deal in order to get them on the roster. I would not be shocked, at all, if we field both with the USL team featuring mostly U23 and academy players and the reserve league featuring more first team players not getting much time with the first team.

we wont have a USL team per the athletic all remaining mls 2 teams agreed to not be a part of usl after next season unless you are talking about next season

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

we wont have a USL team per the athletic all remaining mls 2 teams agreed to not be a part of usl after next season unless you are talking about next season

Yes, referring to 2022.

Talked to Jamie at MSU a couple minutes ago and MLS is mandating entry to the MLS Reserve League in 2023. I get the vibe the organization prefers to stay in USL rather than the MLS Reserve League.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I get the vibe the organization prefers to stay in USL rather than the MLS Reserve League.

They have a heck of a way of showing it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users