JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Start Clark.

"I think right now is to be humbled." What?
https://www.mlssocce...-york-red-bulls

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Disagree here, imo Gutman's ability to get up and down the field makes a huge difference for us. I feel like we always struggle with Tolkin there because he doesn't get into the attack.

I'm not sure how you are seeing that.  Tolkin has more shots and more shot-creating actions, has more progressive dribbles, equal progressive passes,  and presses more.    Tolkin is just less physically imposing, especially in the air.  

We have a bad track record in big games away at ATL when missing our starting LB (small sample size, I know, but I'm still traumatized), but I have way more confidence in Tolkin than Lade.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'm not sure how you are seeing that.  Tolkin has more shots and more shot-creating actions, has more progressive dribbles, equal progressive passes,  and presses more.    Tolkin is just less physically imposing, especially in the air.  

yep Gutman is more athletic but Tolkin is much cleaner in the attacking third

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

We have a bad track record in big games away at ATL when missing our starting LB (small sample size, I know, but I'm still traumatized), but I have way more confidence in Tolkin than Lade.

These numbers are probably influenced in part by his time in the midfield. I'd take Gutman over Tolkin right now but that's more about Gutman being great than it is anything wrong with Tolkin. Tolkin is at worse an average MLS starting LB right now that I'd be comfortable with starting every game and I think in a couple of years he's going to be an absolute force.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

These numbers are probably influenced in part by his time in the midfield. I'd take Gutman over Tolkin right now but that's more about Gutman being great than it is anything wrong with Tolkin. Tolkin is at worse an average MLS starting LB right now that I'd be comfortable with starting every game and I think in a couple of years he's going to be an absolute force.

I don't think Gutman has been great the last couple of games.  He's not been bad, but has given the ball away too often and has had too many sloppy touches.  He's good at getting forward, he's decent defensively, and he works hard.   I'd stick with him if possible since the defense has been playing pretty well, so no real need (other than the loan rule) to change things up.  I like Tolkin better long term, but Tolkin might ultimately be best in the midfield.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Just the eye test that tells me that Gutman finds himself near the opposing end line and goal far more often than Tolkin does from the fullback spot. Wouldn't be the first or last time the eye test was wrong. To thoward's point, are the stats you're referencing specific to his time at LB? Which site are you grabbing those from btw, that's a nice in-depth look.

I don't mean to be too harsh on Tolkin, I like the kid and trust him to step in and do a great job. I was more speaking in support of Gutman.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Just the eye test that tells me that Gutman finds himself near the opposing end line and goal far more often than Tolkin does from the fullback spot. Wouldn't be the first or last time the eye test was wrong. To thoward's point, are the stats you're referencing specific to his time at LB? Which site are you grabbing those from btw, that's a nice in-depth look.

I don't mean to be too harsh on Tolkin, I like the kid and trust him to step in and do a great job. I was more speaking in support of Gutman.

https://fbref.com/en...Andrew-Gutman??

FWIW, stats are shown relative to other fullbacks.   Not sure how they treat wingback /FB-midfield hybrids.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

https://fbref.com/en...Andrew-Gutman??

FWIW, stats are shown relative to other fullbacks.   Not sure how they treat wingback /FB-midfield hybrids.

I feel like these mean something, but its always so difficult SCA vs GCA..... whats more important? 

Eye test, I like Gutman almost playing like a winger, bombing down along the touch line - feels like the sort of movement that an opponent has to account for, which opens up other stuff. But what do i know....   

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Per seeing red,  Struber says Omir likely not ready for Wednesday. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
No Struber tonight due to yellow card accumulation.

I have confidence in Carnell at least but how do we find this out the day of the game? Shouldn't this be something we know immediately after it happened last game? Apparently he got one yellow for running on the field to celebrate the goal last game. I have no idea when another yellow was though.

https://twitter.com/...8tQafa7fjg&s=19

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
MLS Rule for officials is 3 yellows.
This past match against Montreal, at Atlanta back in June, and not sure about the 3rd? If I were to guess it would be the Montreal match with the PK issues?
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I have confidence in Carnell at least but how do we find this out the day of the game? Shouldn't this be something we know immediately after it happened last game? Apparently he got one yellow for running on the field to celebrate the goal last game. I have no idea when another yellow was though.

shades of BWP!!!

Hopefully the offense is better so Carnell has lots of sexy stuff to talk about post game ;-)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Not good. In good hands with Carnell, but this is just about a must win. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
Do it for Struber!

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

We might actually score more than a goal with Carnell in charge?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users