Why did I buy our new "away" shirt this year?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea
http://www.mlssoccer...campaign=unpaid

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Every year they wear the aways less and less. Good news is they have to use it again next year so there is still a chance.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Supports:Metro

They're gonna wear it in LA, probably Vancouver, and probably both CCL away matches. 

They used to showcase it at home at least once. 

Maybe, FINALLY, they're moving away from a blue road kit and maybe in 2018 we'll get a real red one, since the team has said they like white and red primary. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

They're gonna wear it in LA, probably Vancouver, and probably both CCL away matches. 

They used to showcase it at home at least once. 

Maybe, FINALLY, they're moving away from a blue road kit and maybe in 2018 we'll get a real red one, since the team has said they like white and red primary. 

Red Bull brass didn't like the 2006 Red because it "took away from the bulls in the logo."

@CurseofCaricola

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

That red goalkeeper kit was a start. 

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Doesn't the league choose which kits the teams wear each week? If so I don't get why we've only been wearing the white one.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I like the away kits better to be honest.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Not in love with either of our current jerseys, but I generally believe that home jerseys should be used unless there's a color scheme clash.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

Most teams have solid colors as their home jersey so it makes sense that we dont wear our "aways" much and only vs other "white" teams like LA and VAN.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Red Bull brass didn't like the 2006 Red because it "took away from the bulls in the logo."

Lotta things were different in 2006, though...

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Lotta things were different in 2006, though...

Marketing a red logo on a red shirt doesn't really have a timeframe.

The only difference: I just checked and this guy has been promoted a couple times since then in the Red Bull world.

@CurseofCaricola

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
There will not be a standard red jersey while this team us called RED bulls. Maybe a one off but doubtful. I'm willing to bet anything on that statement.

As for why we don't wear the away jersey more, it's not helping the brand, consistency is key, just like their all synthetic ingredients in the soda.

New York might be red but this team is not.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Keep in mind, the deal with adidas ensures that teams wear their jersey at least once in the "every other year" changes.

They had to wear their away jersey at least once last year, even though it was the same as 2014. Why? The new MLS badge on the sleeves made it a requirement since they were being sold retail.

Also, found it interesting that the MLS badge on the home jersey changed from red to blue this year.

I wonder if Red Bull would ever consider the silver template for the bulls like some mockups showed. The silver would make the jersey "pop" which is what they are looking to do.

@CurseofCaricola

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Keep in mind, the deal with adidas ensures that teams wear their jersey at least once in the "every other year" changes.

They had to wear their away jersey at least once last year, even though it was the same as 2014. Why? The new MLS badge on the sleeves made it a requirement since they were being sold retail.

Also, found it interesting that the MLS badge on the home jersey changed from red to blue this year.

That was supposedly because the Red Bulls more or less had the actual MLS logo and wanted to differentiate.

And they should see zero downside to a red jersey. Everyone will buy it, and they still only have to wear it, like, twice a year.

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Looks like they're gonna make their debut on Sunday night in Bridgeview, which means that they'll wear them in the league two straight games with Galaxy up next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users