56 replies to this topic

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Someone posted Sam's SS clincher in the traded thread, which got me thinking about it - obviously the SS match is top of my list, but I thought it'd be cool to hear other peoples' favorites that don't correspond to a major milestone. For example;

Metro 3:0 San Jose - April, 2011

The goals from Luke look like so much fun - marks the beginning of the amazing partnership he had with Henry that year. The little spat between him and the SJ guy, with what I believe was the first out loud instance of "he's short, he's white." Not to mention, the instant classic sports drama narrative of Henry versus the drought. The pouring rain, the "au revoir" chants, the massive attempts before finally breaking through on the diving header and cursing out the SS.

Metro 2:2 New England - October, 2013

This has to be my number one favorite RBA experience - the explosion after Cahill's last minute header was even more cathartic than the final whistle at the SS match. So definitive of the Captain Clutch era for me.

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Metro - DC, May 5, 2001, 3:2, 3 goals in last 11 minutes.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

There are so many.

Metro - DC (2003) - Gaven plays goalie for a hot minute and then switched back for Howard. Howard makes a stunning save and sends Gaven off to the races for a coast to coast finish to win it on the road. To this day, my favorite goal in team history.

Metro - LA (2007) - The legendary 5-4 game in front of 65K+ fans at Giants Stadium. What a crazy game in front of a giant crowd.

Metro - Houston (2008 Playoffs) - Houston two time defending champion. Metro goes into sold out stadium and beats the breaks off them. Dane Richards with one of the all time great games in Metro history. MF can confirm, but wasn't his rating that game in the neighborhood of 9.3 or 9.4?

Metro - Toronto (2009 Reg Season Finale) - Last game in Giants Stadium after a horrendous season. Toronto needs a result to make the playoffs and Metro beats the pants off of them.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

There are so many.

Metro - DC (2003) - Gaven plays goalie for a hot minute and then switched back for Howard. Howard makes a stunning save and sends Gaven off to the races for a coast to coast finish to win it on the road. To this day, my favorite goal in team history.

Metro - LA (2007) - The legendary 5-4 game in front of 65K+ fans at Giants Stadium. What a crazy game in front of a giant crowd.

Metro - Houston (2008 Playoffs) - Houston two time defending champion. Metro goes into sold out stadium and beats the breaks off them. Dane Richards with one of the all time great games in Metro history. MF can confirm, but wasn't his rating that game in the neighborhood of 9.3 or 9.4?

Metro - Toronto (2009 Reg Season Finale) - Last game in Giants Stadium after a horrendous season. Toronto needs a result to make the playoffs and Metro beats the pants off of them.

You beat me to it! The 2003 Gaven as Goalie then scoring the winner as a 16 year old against DCU is about as sweet as they come.

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos

Mathis' 5 goal game still gets me all tingly.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
2003 vs NE: Timmy's last game, down 3-0 in the 66th minute we score 3 in a 10 minute span to earn a draw (and we almost won in OT)

2001 vs LA:second game of the playoffs and we pummel them 4-1 in the first home game after 9/11.

2005 vs NE: Youri scores a late winner off a gaffe by Adin "the heretic" Brown in a wild 5-4 win.

2006 vs RSL: Eddson Buddle scores 4 times in a 6-0 rout that stood as our most lopsided result until this May.

2008 vs Columbus: Danny Ceparo becomes the first keeper in MLS history to score a goal in what is probably the craziest most unbelievable moment in league history. Metro wins 3-1.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
First game I went to was I guess in 2011 vs LAG in the western conference playoffs. A gringo without soccer roots, I was very perplexed how we were in the western conference playoffs. Laughable really. Attendance was kind of sparse and it was freezing cold, it had just snowed the day before in October which was crazy. So, that's a favorite despite losing because it was my first.

The game at DC where Peguy scored was amazing. I just remember being amazed at how many fans we got down there. We got a hotel so we didn't have to drive home and I was pretty buzzed, good times.

The game against New England in the conference finals at home was great. Just from a fan experience, I could tell how important the game was for life long fans and the feeling in the stadium was ridiculous.

The supporters shield at home was very good too because once TH14 scored that outrageous goal the place just exploded.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Lots of my favorites are listed above. One of mine that I dont see listed is..

October 30th, 2014 knockout round at home against Kansas City. We were down 1-0 until BWP tied it in the 77th minute and then BWP scored again in the 90th minute. South Ward went crazy on that second goal. I love that game.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

October 30th, 2014 knockout round at home against Kansas City. We were down 1-0 until BWP tied it in the 77th minute and then BWP scored again in the 90th minute. South Ward went crazy on that second goal. I love that game.

I remember that. I had mono and could not go. Was watching on TV in my room and came out to the living room towards the equalizer and went insane. Probably the craziest I've gone watching a game on TV really. I think a lot of people were expecting us to burn out there and that would be it.

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

All of the above, plus...

Woly's Goal of the Decade game against Columbus in 2003.

5-4 win vs. the Revs in 2005 (Youri got the tight-angle game winner at the end)

Any game that SGR scored a goal

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

That cross by Oyongo on the winning goal was one of the worst crosses I've ever seen in my life. And it worked. Thanks Besler!

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle
Agreed with pretty much everything above, both new and old, that I was around for. My diehard days date back to only '05. Some others that come to mind that I don't believe were mentioned:

April, 2011: NY 4 - 0 DC
Agudelo comes on and scores that bike-ish goal

May, 2016: NY 7 - 0 Shitty City
So new but that no doubt goes down as an all-time great game

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

there's a bunch but i narrowed it down to 3 for me:

1996.. the comeback against Tampa Bay. It was the moment i realized i loved this team

2013 SS game vs Chicago. For several obvious reasons

2010 friendly vs. Santos. The long dream of having a class facility of our own becoming a reality. it almost didnt feel real being there

5 year plan

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Most of the games have already been mentioned so I'll just throw out one that wasn't...

NYRB 4 Chelsea 2

No one was expecting much of a game out of this friendly, even less when we went with the Baby Bulls, but what a performance they put on! Great sign of the future as well at the time, with guys like Sean Davis and Tyler Adams making their presence felt. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Gentlemen, you've done yourselves proud. 

I'll add a couple of road games:

the away win in Chicago for the Second Shield.

And the pre-game & after party ...

Also, even though we lost, our first MLS Cup final in LA.

And the pre-game & after party ...

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users