1130 replies to this topic

#31 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

I highly recommend anyone interested in Herzog see MY BEST FIEND, a documentary on Herzog and Kinski.

#32 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

I highly recommend anyone interested in Herzog see MY BEST FIEND, a documentary on Herzog and Kinski.

Tis already on my Netflix queue.

#33 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts
  • Supports:Chicago

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

Aguirre Wrath of God is one of the best movies ever.
Seriously.

This is what I hear and never have been fortunate to see it. A film about Spanish conquistadors in German? Sold :)

Friday, February 23, 8:00 pm
Saturday, February 24, 3:00 pm

I'll likely have to go to the Saturday show.

#34 NoEmpathy3

NoEmpathy3

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

i thought grizzly man was pretty interesting

#35 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

MAN! I spent half the day yesterday looking for Herzog's movies and reading about them on Netflix's web page. About 4 or 5 ended up in my queue. And now it looks like I am going to see them at a theater...

I just came back home after seeing "Babel." It wasn't very good I thought but it is kinda thought provoking.

#36 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:07 AM

Saw a trailer at the theatre tonight--not impressed AT ALL. Looks like something stupid--sorry.

#37 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:13 AM

The Departed sucked donkey balls.

#38 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:20 AM

Blasphemy.

#39 chengb02

chengb02

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Supports:Fire/Arsenal/GuoAn

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

The Departed sucked donkey balls.

Not to mention that its a remake of a Chinese movie that came out 4 years ago...

#40 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:33 AM

I repeat: The Departed sucked genetically mutilated burro huevos. Give me two beers and a typewriter, and I will write a better screenplay (without copying others, of course). Out of the 20 movies I've seen in the last two months, this was rock bottom the worst. (I was impressed with: Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Rear Window <-- here is a suspense movie that puts films of the last 30 years in this genre to shame, Battle of Algiers, etc., etc. Even Babel wasn't so bad.)

#41 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:43 AM

Not to mention that its a remake of a Chinese movie that came out 4 years ago...

Duh. It wasn't like Scorcese was trying to cover that up. Most if not all people I know who have seen both said this was the better (and darker) version.

I can understand people not liking the Departed, but to say it outright sucked is shocking. And I do really like all those movies you've listed save Babel - haven't seen it and no overwhelming desire to).

#42 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:04 AM

One thing I gotta say: Netflix ruled until they started using their "throttling" on me. But I signed up for Blockbuster Total Access. Woo hoo! I gained 35 lbs since you last saw me (Liam--you don't count). The movies I saw were mostly awesome though. Too bad no good films have been coming out for quite some time. The last really good one was The Pianist I think. Borat was definitely thought provoking. Most of the rest was garbage.

If Scorsese then Taxi Driver and that's about it!

When I have a minute I will post a list of films that I watched in the last 2-3 years and that impressed me.

#43 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:58 AM

I gained 35 lbs since you last saw me (Liam--you don't count).

Seriously? I didn't notice at all.

If Scorsese then Taxi Driver and that's about it!

Assertions like this are plain crazy.

#44 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:25 AM

Assertions like this are plain crazy.

This time I am just playing with you.

#45 dread

dread

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Supports:Who do you think!

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

Ben,

My conversations with you, and the pleasure I have gained from reading your posts on these boards, have me thoroughly convinced that you are a man gifted with sharp intelligence, great erudition, and impeccable taste. It would stand to reason that you are an admirer of Herog. Stroszek has a place on any short list of my favorite films. The dream sequence at he end of Invincible, where Zische and the boy are climbing on the rocks at Christmas Island, while Beethoven's Piano Concerto in C minor plays, is as beautiful and poetic as anything in the cinematic arts.

If any of you do not already own the excellent Herzog DVD box set, you need to buy it, or at least shoplift a copy. Here's a link to the amazon.com listing:

http://www.amazon.co...c...=UTF8&s=dvd

Indulge me a bit while I plug a friend's work. The liner notes for this DVD collection were written by Jim Knipfel who, when he is not busy working as this nation's funniest living author, is also my dearest friend and drinking buddy.

So all of you, remember this, when you reach the moment of decision, when you must decide what music recording to purchase, what draft beer to order, what concert ticket to buy, or what song to put on the jukebox, just ask yourself this simple question:

What would Ben Burton do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users