33 replies to this topic

MadisonMetro

MadisonMetro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Neither NY team is a real club.

No team in MLS is a "real club."  The Cascadia teams have the best claim to that (Vancouver in particular), but there's an...artificialness (?) about everyone in the league.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

No team in MLS is a "real club."  The Cascadia teams have the best claim to that (Vancouver in particular), but there's an...artificialness (?) about everyone in the league.

what is considered a real club? One that started by workers from a pharmaceutical company(Bayer 04 Leverkusen)? One that was founded by English immigrants (Newell's Old Boys)? If that's the standard then none of the teams in MLS are "real clubs"

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

what is considered a real club? One that started by workers from a pharmaceutical company(Bayer 04 Leverkusen)? One that was founded by English immigrants (Newell's Old Boys)? If that's the standard then none of the teams in MLS are "real clubs"

Something like that. A real club is started by a group of people. In MLS what we have are franchises bought by companies and rich people. Think Brooklyn Italians.

No place for clubs in MLS unfortunately since you have to buy into the league and not simply work up the ladder.

All this we're not a real club applies to pretty much every team in MLS. Nothing specific to NY and foreign ownership.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Aussie9

Aussie9

New Signing

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Neither NY team is a real club. Furthermore, we play in NJ and do not have red kits. So the red either refers to the shorts, or the 'Red' in 'Red Bull' The secondary colors are blue, as are the seats. If the product was called Blue Bull, I don't think red would get any mention, since red shorts are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

This entire thing feels like a sham.

But yes, I'm going to use my season ticket and go.

The Giants and Jets play in NJ. They are not New York either. Either is Metro since they played at Giants Stadium.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Something like that. A real club is started by a group of people. In MLS what we have are franchises bought by companies and rich people. Think Brooklyn Italians.

Would any US professional sports team qualify?

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Would any US professional sports team qualify?

Green Bay Packers in the NFL.  Can't think of any others

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
I think "club" is used just as a term for team like "pitch" is for field. Does anyone think Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea are really clubs anymore?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The Giants and Jets play in NJ. They are not New York either. Either is Metro since they played at Giants Stadium.

I still to this day cannot figure out why this stigma only applies to soccer and not football. Are all NYCFC fans also Bills fans?

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Green Bay Packers in the NFL.  Can't think of any others

Exactly. There is a reason why no pro teams in US are called clubs, unlike rest of the world.

Nothing wrong with it, a very American thing but the arguments how rb or nycfc are not true clubs compared to other MLS teams is pretty weak.. 

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Exactly. There is a reason why no pro teams in US are called clubs, unlike rest of the world.

Nothing wrong with it, a very American thing but the arguments how rb or nycfc are not true clubs compared to other MLS teams is pretty weak.. 

I always thought the "XXXX is not a real club" argument was pretty weak. Who cares? Just support your team.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I always thought the "XXXX is not a real club" argument was pretty weak. Who cares? Just support your team.

WORD

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I thought Philly was a real club.  Are you saying that they actually have owners, and its not the Sons of Betty passing a hat around to pay players?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

The Packers aren't publicly owned. The "fan ownership" thing is complete nonsense as buying stock in the team gets you nothing more than a fancy sheet of paper and the right to buy discounted "shareholder" merch. I have a co-worker who is from WI who bought a share.

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

To be fair, in our case one team does play in NY and one does not.

When RB chose to build a stadium in NJ, they left the door open for someone to actually play in NY. It was always going to be an issue, kinda like having a v6 Mustang. It's an issue that is always going to come up.

Now, I'm glad we play in NJ because that's where I live. But the NY is Red campaign just reeks of desperation to me. Not saying Boy City is any better, as they are equally pathetic.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

The Packers aren't publicly owned. The "fan ownership" thing is complete nonsense as buying stock in the team gets you nothing more than a fancy sheet of paper and the right to buy discounted "shareholder" merch. I have a co-worker who is from WI who bought a share.

The Club idea is not about modern teams still being clubs in any shape or form but about how they were formed and when. I guess you could say they were grandfathered into the modern concept of teams. Packers were formed by two dudes and the packing company were ones who gave them money for equipment in return for the naming rights. No one is arguing that any true clubs remain in the world of top tier professional football/soccer, including Barca and real with their member participation schemes.

#FUCKredbull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users