458 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Veron has been a great super sub I agree. Let's ride that super sub to MLS Cup. He's not a starter obviously, we've seen that unfortunately.

So he didn't look good starting as the lone striker in the 4-2-3-1 with Sacha at CAM in the CCL last year?

And he didn't look decent starting on the wing with Sacha at CAM and BWP at striker in the 4-2-3-1 against DC last season and against Montreal in the playoffs?

Or are you limiting your judgement on his starts in the 4-2-2-2 or his starts in the 4-2-3-1 without Sacha and BWP?

I have no problem with him coming off the bench or just spot starting for BWP, but when put in good circumstances, he's played ok as a sub and as a starter.  Not DP, but way better than he's given credit for.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
Veron looked good starting in the BWP role in the cup games.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

over the past several weeks, he's actually sorta playing up to the expectations of what we all saw in his youtube vids!

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

over the past several weeks, he's actually sorta playing up to the expectations of what we all saw in his youtube vids!

I still see his runs being way too slow when chasing a ball with defender..  not sure

Metro dummy

Metro dummy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Red Bulls soccer, the joke is on us.

As far as I'm concerned, I hope he does well for us, then we get rid of him at the end of the year for some value in return. He took too long to get with the Jesse Marsh program. On another thought, I think he will stay with the team another year because he is the coach's pick.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Marsch has never given Veron a solid run with the first team to help him gel on the pitch in real matches, everything is about what happens in training.  But the team hasn't really lost a beat when Veron's come in for BWP and they've arguably looked better when he's come on for Muyl.

Perhaps Jesse realizes all of this.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
Those speedy dribbling skills were unique to us before we had Adams. Still welcome, but no longer unique.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

The fact has been made on this board over and over by many people that Veron is just a better fit up top than he is on the wing. I don't think he's a great natural fit on the wing in our 4-2-3-1 or whatever we're rolling out these days (3-3-2-1?). Part of that is that his game really is more predicated on making hard runs at and through opposing team's backline, and clearing space, rather than spreading out wide the way Royer does as a winger, or the way Sam would combine.  Marsch never really figured out how to use this skillset properly within the 4-2-3-1, and also injuries definitely hampered Veron. 

Having said that were Muyl or Grella really better than him last year on the wing? I don't think so. Veron was our best offensive player in the playoffs (not saying much but still) and of course probably our best player in the CCL last season. He should have been getting more minutes. I'm glad he's pulling it together. If we can get a good CB and Sacha gets his head out of his ass, this team can still make a run. 

BLewis1968

BLewis1968

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Assuming it was Titi who made that call. Rightfully so. 

Veron needs to start, there's no reason why Muyl should be starting over him. Very curious to see how the lineup shapes up when everyone is back from Gold Cup and healthy, plus any new additions.

You are correct, sir. It was Titi.

Barcaredbulls

Barcaredbulls

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Ride the hot hand.  Let's give Muyl a rest and let Gonzalo handle the wing for a couple of weeks.  Him and Royer have been our two best players now for over a month.

He is terrible on the wing.  The comparison isn't between Veron and Muyl, they do entirely different things.

Now that we have determined that Veron can be effective in the supersub role, playing limited minutes up top to create chances when the opposition is worn down, the conclusion is to go back to playing him more minutes in a role where he sucked?

If its not broken, don't fix it.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

He is terrible on the wing.  The comparison isn't between Veron and Muyl, they do entirely different things.

Now that we have determined that Veron can be effective in the supersub role, playing limited minutes up top to create chances when the opposition is worn down, the conclusion is to go back to playing him more minutes in a role where he sucked?

If its not broken, don't fix it.

Veron being terrible on the wing is just not true. He for sure is a different player than Muyl. Muyl tracks back better and Veron stretches defenses better.

Veron was our best winger in the 2016 playoffs.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Posted by McSoccer on Today, 05:52 PM in MetroFanatic.com
He was our best winger in the playoffs last year.

Posted by McSoccer on 05 September 2017 - 10:27 AM in MetroFanatic.com
Veron can play on the wing and has done so with decent results (SEE MONTREAL 2016 PLAYOFFS

Posted by McSoccer on 03 September 2017 - 08:28 PM in MetroFanatic.com
And I've seen Veron high press with decent effectiveness, both in the playoffs

Posted by McSoccer on 27 August 2017 - 05:35 PM in MetroFanatic.com
he played on the wing against Montreal in the playoffs and was arguably our best player that series

Posted by McSoccer on 24 July 2017 - 02:23 PM in MetroFanatic.com
Veron was our best winger in the 2016 playoffs.

Posted by McSoccer on 21 July 2017 - 04:45 PM in MetroFanatic.com
And he didn't look decent starting on the wing with Sacha at CAM and BWP at striker in the 4-2-3-1 against DC last season and against Montreal in the playoffs?

Posted by McSoccer on 20 July 2017 - 11:43 AM in MetroFanatic.com
He was good on the wing in the playoffs

Posted by McSoccer on 01 June 2017 - 02:17 PM in MetroFanatic.com
He's also performed well as a winger (DC match, playoffs)

Posted by McSoccer on 24 May 2017 - 02:32 PM in MetroFanatic.com
Vernon is not a DP, but he's been better than Mike, especially in the playoffs.

Posted by McSoccer on 15 May 2017 - 09:17 AM in MetroFanatic.com
He at least draws defenders & fouls (see CCL games, see playoffs).

Posted by McSoccer on 09 May 2017 - 08:58 PM in MetroFanatic.com
Veron at least has an assist in the playoffs in significantly less minutes than Grella

Posted by McSoccer on 04 April 2017 - 02:43 PM in MetroFanatic.com
Veron, but he was more effective pressing than either Grella or Mutl in the playoffs.

Posted by McSoccer on 23 March 2017 - 04:24 PM in MetroFanatic.com
Veron may be better up top, but he's also better, at least in the playoffs, than Grella and Muyl on the wing.

Posted by McSoccer on 23 March 2017 - 03:34 PM in MetroFanatic.com
Vernon's injury status aside, he was our most effective winger in the playoffs.

Posted by McSoccer on 21 March 2017 - 11:57 AM in MetroFanatic.com
I take that back, it looked ok in the playoffs when Veron played.

Posted by McSoccer on 15 March 2017 - 11:43 AM in MetroFanatic.com
He was also better on the wing in the playoffs against Montreal than either Grella or Muyl were in that series.

Posted by McSoccer on 05 March 2017 - 11:00 PM in MetroFanatic.com
But both Grella and Muyl sucked ass on the playoffs.  Veron was more effective than both.

Posted by McSoccer on 09 December 2016 - 01:47 PM in MetroFanatic.com
An out of position Veron was still more effective than an in position Grella or Muyl.

Posted by McSoccer on 09 December 2016 - 08:14 AM in MetroFanatic.com
The assumption here is that Marsch made the correct decision to play Muyl & Grella over Veron. Watching the playoffs, this year and last, you could argue he didn't.

Posted by McSoccer on 06 December 2016 - 12:30 PM in MetroFanatic.com
He was as productive as Grella in a lot less minutes in the second half of the season and a lot more productive than Grella in the playoffs.

Posted by McSoccer on 05 December 2016 - 09:05 PM in MetroFanatic.com
Veron did perform in the playoffs when given the chance.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

lolol this is pretty great

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
Ha ha ha. I guess I need a new schtick...

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Still more diverse than the Chicago Fire songbook, FWIW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users