27 replies to this topic

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
Walker Zimmerman just signed a 4 year, 10M DP contract, and given he is about the same age as Aaron, does RBNY sell him if an offer comes in, or does the player asks for a similar deal as Walker.

If so, do we use a DP slot on a centerback?

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
He deserves a chance at playing overseas and if he gets it, becomes another selling point when trying to sign young players with European dreams.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
I'd be surprised if Long doesn't head overseas. If he stays, I can easily see a Davis situation happening.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

This is the last year we have him under contract, right?

I'm assuming that Aaron still has a goal to play abroad. With that in mind I'm fully expecting him to be sold over the summer or walk at the end of the year. Since I don't think the transfer fee would be huge for a guy his age, I'm hoping he sticks around since this team seems to have some championship potential.

If he does decide he wants to stay in MLS, I would be happy to see Red Bulls offer him a DP contract. No issue whatsoever with giving one to a CB.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

I'd be surprised if Long doesn't head overseas. If he stays, I can easily see a Davis situation happening.

good for Zimmerman

Is Long worth that much - yes

Does Red Bull offer him that much? No

agree I think it is a Davis situation or they let him walk for free as recognition of service rather than try to extract a transfer fee. 

He has openly said he wants to try Europe for a few years.  He qualifies for work permit.

Having him play in EU and maybe World Cup as NYRB/former NYRB would be great. 

NYRB develops great defenders.

Question is EPL or Championship level?

You would think Leeds or Everton (or even Fulham /Reading) would be actively talking to his agent

He knows the Leeds Head Coach / Everton Sporting Director.

Fulham/Reading knows value of American defenders

even if older they may bring in someone on a free just shorter contract.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I can see him going to Leeds.

If he stays, I can see a longterm contract with an eye of him staying with org after retirement.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Leeds or Fulham. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
If Fulham want to stay up, no. Hes not good enough to get a game for them in the PL. Leeds only because of the Jesse connection, and if they get relegated to the Championship.

Depends on his motivations and if RBNY offer him an extension. Temporarily moving overseas with a young family isnt easy.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Why not Manchester United? :huh:

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Hes not good enough to play in the Prem? Uh ok

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
I could see a Championship side with a possibility of promotion taking a chance on Long. He is turning 29. Should have gone three years ago. The window is almost shut, and I am sure the mental math is quite a bit different entering the fourth quarter of your career and with a young family. If somebody like Austin or Nashville gives him the money and the years NY wont, I could see us facing him in the future.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

If Long has any aspirations of going to Europe, he better have an MLS Defender of the Year season. Unfortunately for him, the World Cup is not in the summer, which would have provided him another platform to showcase himself. I am, selfishly, hoping he sticks around and becomes a Metro-lifer. Sucks for him because that means he would have not been able to chase a European dream.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

If Long has any aspirations of going to Europe, he better have an MLS Defender of the Year season. Unfortunately for him, the World Cup is not in the summer, which would have provided him another platform to showcase himself. I am, selfishly, hoping he sticks around and becomes a Metro-lifer. Sucks for him because that means he would have not been able to chase a European dream.

It does suck for him, but without RB he may not even be in MLS at this point. Wherever he ends up, I hope he gets a Zimmerman-size contract he deserves it.

bkizoulis

bkizoulis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

For sure if he never signed with the red bulls, he wouldn't even be in the MLS. Red bulls turned him into a CB and flourished. It was very unfortunate that he couldn't give europe a try sooner. First 3 full season at CB (2017-2019) he was the best in MLS then the damn pandemic happened followed by his achilles injury last year. For sure red bulls management will try to resign him since he's perfect in our system but they know long wants to give europe a try. I wouldn't be mad if he gets a zimmerman style contract.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

For sure if he never signed with the red bulls, he wouldn't even be in the MLS. Red bulls turned him into a CB and flourished. It was very unfortunate that he couldn't give europe a try sooner. First 3 full season at CB (2017-2019) he was the best in MLS then the damn pandemic happened followed by his achilles injury last year. For sure red bulls management will try to resign him since he's perfect in our system but they know long wants to give europe a try. I wouldn't be mad if he gets a zimmerman style contract.

I also would have no issue if they resigned him. But he deserves a DP contract and Im not sure we should waste a DP spot when we have Nealis, Reyes, & Monzon. Obviously none are at Longs level, but theyre the drop off isnt gigantic. Probably better to use the slot DP on an attacker.

If theyre not going to use all the DP slots, then 100% resign Long for Zimmerman money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users