216 replies to this topic

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I'm trying to imagine living in a country for a few decades, going to one of their games while there, and rooting against them while waving a different flag, lulz.

If I moved to Mexico, I would definitely do the exact same thing.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Agree that it wasn't higher than 35% Costa Rica fans.

Problem is the US team gave the fans NOTHING to cheer for.  Hell, there was 2 shots on goal. Was pathetic.

Hated the formation.  The concept of having a guy like Nagbe (and I like Nagbe) in an offensive role like that is not good.  Hate the idea of having Pulisic out wide.  In a 4-2-3-1 it works better for him.  THe two striker thing sucked.  Wood wasn't good.  Arena was awful.  Team was disorganized and coached poorly.  Played poorly as well.  So many instances during the game where there wasn't a plan for what guys were supposed to do.  

Ream sucks.. Have said it forever.  He's not at that level.  He has no make up speed and he's due for a blunder (at least 1) a game.  If he's in a situation where he has to play in space, it's just over.  Never was a huge fan of Cameron and he was awful but I do think Cameron has a place on the bench.  

Team should be in a 4-2-3-1 with Nagbe and Bradley as the 6's.  Loan striker up top.  Don't even really care if it's Jozy or Morris.  

Ream wasn't great tonight (lost too many 50-50 balls) and I don't think he starts at CB for the Nats when they're at full strength, but neither goal was really his fault.  On the first, Ruiz sent a nice ball through to Urena, but Ream recovered, pushed him outside, and forced him to take on off balance, falling over shot that Urena did well with.  The second was all on Cameron.

Ream also won that header off the corner kick that he headed down and got unlucky that it bounced over the crossbar.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Ream wasn't great tonight (lost to many 50-50 balls) and I don't think he starts at CB for the Nats when they're at full strength, but neither goal was really his fault.  On the first, Ruiz sent a nice ball through to Urena, but Ream recovered, pushed him outside, and forced him to take on off balance, falling over shot that Urena did well with.  The second was all on Cameron.

Ream also won that header off the corner kick that he headed down and got unlucky that it bounced over the crossbar.

Also not to say that this was main cause of either goal per se, but what was up with Howard's distribution last night?  There were a couple times were he just rolled the ball out to guys who were under pressure and we almost conceded due to that a couple times.  Plus on the first goal when we have Jozy in as our target man, why are you punting the ball to Fabian Johnson to win a header? FaJo lost the 50-50 and from there the break was on.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

All around a shitty gameplay from Arena, who started off the week on the wrong foot with his comments about playing the match at Red Bull Arena.

And how is Sacha not on this squad?  I get he doesn't fit the formation Arena wants to play, but having a 10 on the bench to use if he needs to switch things up isn't a bad idea.  Pulisic can play there too, but then you get weaker on the wing.  I get Sacha wasn't great in the January camp or to start the season, but he's come on in recent weeks.

Arena is better than Klinsman, yet he's still limited as a coach.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

A few years ago I was on a cruise that stopped in CR. Then went on a bus tour.  I remember the tour guide saying that soccer was a bigger religion than the church. I'm sure he was exaggerating, but the message was clear.

Copa 90 did a trip to Costa Rica in a video and they were talking about how crazy the country is about the game and how the date of  the Neatherlands game in the World Cup was actual national holiday. 

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

All around a shitty gameplay from Arena, who started off the week on the wrong foot with his comments about playing the match at Red Bull Arena.

And how is Sacha not on this squad?  I get he doesn't fit the formation Arena wants to play, but having a 10 on the bench to use if he needs to switch things up isn't a bad idea.  Pulisic can play there too, but then you get weaker on the wing.  I get Sacha wasn't great in the January camp or to start the season, but he's come on in recent weeks.

Arena is better than Klinsman, yet he's still limited as a coach.

I agree regarding klejstan. Not to sound like a total homer bc he plays for us but he could have calmed down that midfield and helped move the ball around to break CR's press (in conjuction with a 5 man midfield and 1 fwd formation)

5 year plan

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Your argument is that the Costa Rican supporters don't live in the US and traveled to NJ for the game? Fascinating! I think that facts won't help your cause.

Nice inane buzzwords in your second sentence   :lol:  Commies!

Look man, you can't blame expats for rooting for the team they grew up supporting. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
My takeaway from the CR match was that it's going to take a long time to undo the damage caused by Jurgen Klinsmann.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

I agree regarding klejstan. Not to sound like a total homer bc he plays for us but he could have calmed down that midfield and helped move the ball around to break CR's press (in conjuction with a 5 man midfield and 1 fwd formation)

Feels like same story so far tonight...

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Everytime I watch Zusi at RB I just think "is he really better than Tyler Adams at right back?"  Man Steve Cherundolo has been missed greatly

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Everytime I watch Zusi at RB I just think "is he really better than Tyler Adams at right back?"  Man Steve Cherundolo has been missed greatly

Let's not rile up our opponent for the Lamar Hunt Cup with derogatory comments (even if they're true).

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

We sucked again.  Interesting to see they didn't go crazy blaming the venue.

Also hate where Bruce is putting guys and the formation in general.  It sucks.  These are MLS players.  90% of the league plays a 4-2-3-1.  Put them in the formation they are comfortable with and put guys where they are comfortable.  They know the passing angles and areas where they can positionaly cheat with that formation.  This putting guys in positions that doesn't use their strengths is maddening. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

at least I didn't have to watch this one.....

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

I'm trying to imagine living in a country for a few decades, going to one of their games while there, and rooting against them while waving a different flag, lulz.

So if you went to Mexico you would support them over the US?  Or if you got a job in DC you would start supporting those shytes over us?  Ok then.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
If USSF was worried about getting a pro US crowd they could've comped thousands of active military members from the numerous bases in the region. But that would've cost USSF money so it was a non starter.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users