20 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
With Kljestan officially gone, there has been a lot of chatter on here that BWP is the next member of the recent core (BWP, Sacha, Dax, Robles) that has to go, as he will be washed up very soon.

Is there any evidence to support this though?

With Kljestan we all saw how he lost a step last year, but forwards don't have to run as much and MLS has had a history of aging forwards winning the golden boot or being in the top 5 in the scoring charts.

De Rosario, Henry (2011)
Henry, Keane (2012)
Di Vaio, Keane (2013)
Keane (2014)
Keane, Villa (2015)
Villa (2016)
Villa (2017)

BWP has scored around 20 goals a season for the last four years. I don't see why he couldn't stay here for another 3-4 years and play until he's 36 or 37, or even older. You don't need to be young to excel (or score, as the stats show) in MLS.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I don't think anyone, or at least not a meaningful number, actual want BWP gone. Most are just jokes about how RB has done business lately, or just a general understanding that at some point in the next few years his production will drop off. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This completely ignores what those players were declining FROM. Yeah, guys like Villa, Henry, and Keane were still high-end MLS players in their mid-30s. But five years prior they were top global talents. The sum of their decline is more or less what BWP's prime has been. For BWP to match them, it would require little decline. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Father time is undefeated. We all know at some point his production will decline. We just don't know when. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I think his playing style may allow him to keep scoring as he gets older. He doesn't rely on speed or quickness. He relies on his high IQ, making good runs, being in the right place, and finishing. Those traits don't necessarily get worse as you get older. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

With Kljestan officially gone, there has been a lot of chatter on here that BWP is the next member of the recent core (BWP, Sacha, Dax, Robles) that has to go, as he will be washed up very soon.

With Kljestan we all saw how he lost a step last year, but forwards don't have to run as much and MLS has had a history of aging forwards winning the golden boot or being in the top 5 in the scoring charts.

De Rosario, Henry (2011)
Henry, Keane (2012)
Di Vaio, Keane (2013)
Keane (2014)
Keane, Villa (2015)
Villa (2016)
Villa (2017)

BWP has scored around 20 goals a season for the last four years. I don't see why he couldn't stay here for another 3-4 years and play until he's 36 or 37, or even older. You don't need to be young to excel (or score, as the stats show) in MLS.

FWIW, as great as he has been for us, BWP does not have Henry, Keane, or Villa's pedigree.    They started at a much higher level than BWP, and came down to MLS when they were older.    If BWP was scoring double digit goals for Barca at this age, you'd have a point.   That said, barring injury, he gets double digit goals this year.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
There is a lot more wear and tear in the midfield position when you compare it to the forward position.

BWP is a classic poacher. Doesn't rely on speed. He just knows how to position himself. That is why I don't think we will see rbny trade him. He will continue to be productive as long as he gets service

What will go away will be his ability to create his own shot which was never a strength.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

BWP will fall off... They all do. 

He deserves to be here next year but I wouldn't be shocked one bit if we seen his huge dropoff happen this upcoming season.  BWP doesn't have the skill and vision ala Henry to reinvent his game and adjust.  When BWP loses that bit of quickness he has that gives him a chance on a lot of those goals, it's going to be over for him.  HIs know-how lets him make the right runs, and choose the right channels, but you need the athleticism to take full advantage of it.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

De Rosario, Henry (2011)
Henry, Keane (2012)
Di Vaio, Keane (2013)
Keane (2014)
Keane, Villa (2015)
Villa (2016)
Villa (2017)

He's guaranteed through 2019, so he'll be around through his age 34 season. If we're counting on him to continue to lead the attack all alone, I'm dubious he can be as consistent as he has for too much longer, especially given how healthy he's been despite being on the field for almost every minute of competitive games (thanks Jesse).

As a part of a potential 2-striker pairing this year and beyond, he might stay at a high level longer than he would otherwise. Past 2019, we really can't count on him to contribute at his current level, and can't risk him falling off a cliff at a 1.5M+ salary.

That said, I thought he was better in 2017 than he was in 2016, playoff finishing excluded.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

De Rosario, Henry (2011)
Henry, Keane (2012)
Di Vaio, Keane (2013)
Keane (2014)
Keane, Villa (2015)
Villa (2016)
Villa (2017)

I think people just want to start to bring along his successor. Its something you can do pretty easily with a forward, because you can play two up top and/or its not uncommon, at least in other leagues around the world, to make a substitution at the forward spot in the last 20, 15, 10 minuted of a match.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I love BWP and sure.. he'll be good at banging in goals for a few more years. 

Problem is, we need someone who can score goals in the PLAYOFFS or CUP FINALS. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
BWP had stated multiple times that he is getting older. At least twice, he made it seem as if he knows he doesn't know how much more gas in the tank, during interviews.

I don't see the team trading him but I can see him retiring after the 2019 season.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Would you keep him as a heavily discounted non-DP bench option when that time comes?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Would you keep him as a heavily discounted non-DP bench option when that time comes?

Depends on where his head is at.   He might prefer a move to the coaching staff.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

sucks that the ARG striker in ARG they were looking said that we didn't offer as much. i wish i knew who they were looking at.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

BWP has clearly lost a step as well, just not as much as Sacha. I thought Gonzalo would have been a better option going forward. BWP was always streaky, but back in the day, he used to be able to create his own shot, even take a player off the dribble, and in general create more. Now he is just a pure finisher. He didn't decline as badly as Sacha did, but he does not have too long to go methinks. Maybe another year, I hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users