• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

I am glad to agree he's managed to be involved with most of our goals (BWP could easily have passed to him in a great position instead of shooting for the 1st goal v Olimpia + he was involved in both goals vs Tijuana) and had a couple of other chances which you note. But you have to also account for the numerous occasions on which he gave away the ball cheaply, where a better or more composed touch could have created a dangerous chance. The balance of positive vs negative plays so far this season is... not good.

I really like the kid and have his jersey. Hustle is very important, especially given our high pressing style. However, it's very difficult to adequately replace skill with hustle in a wide attacking position. Unfortunately, he reminds me of the way I play offensively in my rec leagues: a lot of effort which is often useful, but very little idea on how to beat people 1v1 (he showed a couple of flashes last year but nothing has stuck).

As a number of people have said, he's a great guy to have on the roster but he really shouldn't be our no. 2 starting winger as this point. Coming off the bench to harry tired defenders or protect the lead, sure. Spot starts in a congested schedule, definitely. Every day starting winger, no way.

Perfectly said in my opinion.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Yea, I agree with other posters. Muyl is a good squad player, but just doesn't have the quality to play such a prominent role. I like his commitment to the press/counter-press, and one of the reasons he always is in the thick of it, is his willingness to follow instructions. If he had a bit more quality with his touch and final ball, he would be a heck of a player. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,480 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Maybe that is an indictment of our other back ups. Maybe they look flashier, but failed to produce what Muyl does. We have good coaches, they must see things that we are not seeing.

I mean I'm clearly undervaluing what he brings defensively, I just don't think its too crazy to expect a guy to run his ass off while also offering something offensively. And with the influx of TAM we should be able to afford that.

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I am glad to agree he's managed to be involved with most of our goals (BWP could easily have passed to him in a great position instead of shooting for the 1st goal v Olimpia + he was involved in both goals vs Tijuana) and had a couple of other chances which you note. But you have to also account for the numerous occasions on which he gave away the ball cheaply, where a better or more composed touch could have created a dangerous chance. The balance of positive vs negative plays so far this season is... not good.

I really like the kid and have his jersey. Hustle is very important, especially given our high pressing style. However, it's very difficult to adequately replace skill with hustle in a wide attacking position. Unfortunately, he reminds me of the way I play offensively in my rec leagues: a lot of effort which is often useful, but very little idea on how to beat people 1v1 (he showed a couple of flashes last year but nothing has stuck).

As a number of people have said, he's a great guy to have on the roster but he really shouldn't be our no. 2 starting winger as this point. Coming off the bench to harry tired defenders or protect the lead, sure. Spot starts in a congested schedule, definitely. Every day starting winger, no way.

Even from the bench you would like someone with a bit more skill. Maybe 2nd/3d midfielder off the bench, but not the #1 option.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,307 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I just think he's a young guy, who spent most of his early professional development focused on learning our press.    He started to show more 1 v1 skills late last season, and he certainly did well with the offensive opportunities in pre-season.    He's got plenty of upside and as he's given the chance to do more than just press, he will develop those skills.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Giants3b

Giants3b

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Getting stepped on.
  • Supports:Lehigh Valley Steelhawks
  • Friendship
  • Casual dinner conversation
  • Being a wingman
  • Acting as a positive role model
  • Pressing in a high pressure defensive scheme
  • Providing really interesting fusion recipes
  • Hosting guests
  • Maybe juggling

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

his manbun game is on point

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,108 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

if the team wasn't so "All In" about the high press, he'd have less minutes, easily. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

• Friendship
  • Casual dinner conversation
  • Being a wingman

• Acting as a positive role model
  • Pressing in a high pressure defensive scheme
  • Providing really interesting fusion recipes
  • Hosting guests
  • Maybe juggling
Not sure I want my son inspiring to be someone with a man bun and fo stache and doesn't correct people on his last name for a few years.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Does Muyl really force that many turnovers with his pressing? Hes definitely a pain in the oppositions ass when hes out there, even if the attack dies every time he gets a touch on the ball.

When Kaku starts starting, the question is going to be does he push Davis or Muyl to the bench? Personally, Id rather Davis start and have Muyl come off the bench as a defensive sub, pressing against tired legs.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Does Muyl really force that many turnovers with his pressing? Hes definitely a pain in the oppositions ass when hes out there, even if the attack dies every time he gets a touch on the ball.

When Kaku starts starting, the question is going to be does he push Davis or Muyl to the bench? Personally, Id rather Davis start and have Muyl come off the bench as a defensive sub, pressing against tired legs.

Davis has looked good.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,108 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i think Davis stays in and Royer and Kaku are on the wings. obv based on 30 mins, i don't know how good of a defender Kaku is, if he is at all. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Not sure I want my son inspiring to be someone with a man bun and fo stache and doesn't correct people on his last name for a few years.

Ouch.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Huracan more and more

Muyl is really good at becoming a meme on /r/MLS

https://imgur.com/a/1EI1b

https://i.imgflip.com/26c3wl.jpg

https://www.reddit.c...juana/?sort=top

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
In one of his recent pressers, Marsch talked about the team having made tough decisions to move on from certain players the last couple of years. Maybe time to make another...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users