Is 2019 season a hangover for winning Supporters' Shield?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: is 2019 season Supporter's shield hangover (34 member(s) have cast votes)

is 2019 season Supporter's shield hangover

1. yes (8 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. no (15 votes [44.12%])

Percentage of vote: 44.12%

3. too early to say (11 votes [32.35%])

Percentage of vote: 32.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

In 2016, Seattle lost Obafemi Martins to start the year, lost Dempsey halfway through the year, started the season going 6-12-2, and came back to win MLS cup. Last year they were 3-8-2 after a loss to us, and a fight in the locker room turned the season around: https://www.soundera...cker-room-fight  .  They finished 18-11-5, going 15-3-3 the rest of the way.

So, shitty as it looks for us right now, I think it's still way too early to throw this season away. That said, we are playing like shit. And, that Seattle season (and most Seattle seasons) are the exceptions, not the rule.  Many teams started playing like shit, stayed shit, and ended with shitty years.  I don't think we're winning MLS cup this year, but there is still the ability to turn this around. 

Maybe a locker room fight is needed to get everyone out of their funk. Maybe a week where they play all of the kids & tell the senior guys on larger contracts that the MNT callups and what not can all go quickly away if everyone doesn't snap the fuck out of it. I don't honestly know. Maybe this is the year where we have to pay our bills & eat all of our vegetables to make up for the last few years when things were going well. Losing your coach mid-season, I think maybe last year the team was able to rally around themselves & pull off a good second half. Plus, Tyler covered up for a lot of mistakes & turnovers by being an unreal recovery robot. Now, losing Tyler, then starting off this season with the Kaku drama, bunch of new contracts keeping people content instead of hungry, losing Valot whose spark we needed for the offense, Armas maybe being a piano mover not a piano player...the combination of all of this is too much for us right now.

There needs to be some event to turn this around, or else the season is fucked. Not sure firing the coach & bringing in TH14 is that answer, but we'll see. 

NE was a bad loss, but it was also a 0-0 game if Robles makes a stop he makes most of the time. Also, it follows a 2-2 tie on the road in a tough place to play. I know it looks like shit right now, but to me next week is the real test of how fucked we are. If we can't beat Cincinnati at home...time to put a call into Seattle for some tips. 

In 2016, Seattle changed coaches and added Lodeiro midseason.

It's a long season and anything can happen.  But I can't see this group of players being anything more than mediocre this season.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users