• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Roofles

Roofles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:belligerent love that Red Bulls fans threw his way, in that particularly entitled, disrespectful, yet somehow fiercely loyal manner New York sports fans specialize in.

I really dug this story, great job.

What this guy said. Great article Mr. Parker (and Mr. Feuerstein).

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:metro

I really dug this story, great job.

+1 :cheers:

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

C.O.Jones

C.O.Jones

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Supports:CF Cadiz
Fantastic article there!
I saw that the comments section was closed and I wanted to respond to the one poster's comment (Fugexlac?) about the ethnic naming of many of the earlier clubs that participated in this Cup.
These ethnic names came about from the various ethnic social clubs that sponsored these teams throughout the beginnings of soccer here in the USA. They would keep their ethnic origin in the club name (hence New York Italians; Brooklyn Hispanos; Potuguese, Scots, Hungarians etc.....) You still see some clubs existing with these names. Back in the heydays of the ASL, the majority of the clubs were either sponsored by a social club or by a company/factory.
One fact I'd like to add, that it is amazing that this Cup is still in existence as early "organizations" governing the various soccer leagues were so dysfunctional and poorly run. Often they were fighting amongst themselves and the governing bodies of national/world soccer would refuse to recognize certain leagues. Some clubs (and leagues) would end up boycotting playing in this Cup.
Nice mention of Gaetjens, and his time w/ the NY Galician club. My father played against Gaetjens a few times and would so impressed by his skills, and felt his strongest attribute was his sheer strength. The ASL was a very physical, if not dirty, league. My Dad (fullback) said trying to knock Gaetjens off his feet was like running into tree trunks--you'd just bounce off.
Gaetjens--A Haitian immigrant--learned to speak Spanish (Galician dialect) rather well. My uncle attended one game when Gaetjens was playing my father's team. My uncle was standing on the side lines talking "old school" trash to the Galician players in their native dialect.(My Uncle was from Galicia). My uncle was unaware that Gaetjens could understand what he was saying and came off the field charging at my uncle and the game had to be stopped as both sides ended up in a scrum of sorts.
Anyway, great article, keep up the good work!

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Fantastic article there!
I saw that the comments section was closed and I wanted to respond to the one poster's comment (Fugexlac?) about the ethnic naming of many of the earlier clubs that participated in this Cup.
These ethnic names came about from the various ethnic social clubs that sponsored these teams throughout the beginnings of soccer here in the USA. They would keep their ethnic origin in the club name (hence New York Italians; Brooklyn Hispanos; Potuguese, Scots, Hungarians etc.....) You still see some clubs existing with these names. Back in the heydays of the ASL, the majority of the clubs were either sponsored by a social club or by a company/factory.
One fact I'd like to add, that it is amazing that this Cup is still in existence as early "organizations" governing the various soccer leagues were so dysfunctional and poorly run. Often they were fighting amongst themselves and the governing bodies of national/world soccer would refuse to recognize certain leagues. Some clubs (and leagues) would end up boycotting playing in this Cup.
Nice mention of Gaetjens, and his time w/ the NY Galician club. My father played against Gaetjens a few times and would so impressed by his skills, and felt his strongest attribute was his sheer strength. The ASL was a very physical, if not dirty, league. My Dad (fullback) said trying to knock Gaetjens off his feet was like running into tree trunks--you'd just bounce off.
Gaetjens--A Haitian immigrant--learned to speak Spanish (Galician dialect) rather well. My uncle attended one game when Gaetjens was playing my father's team. My uncle was standing on the side lines talking "old school" trash to the Galician players in their native dialect.(My Uncle was from Galicia). My uncle was unaware that Gaetjens could understand what he was saying and came off the field charging at my uncle and the game had to be stopped as both sides ended up in a scrum of sorts.
Anyway, great article, keep up the good work!

Thanks for that - great read. I went back and opened up the comments btw (they have an auto-close date unless it's over-ridden), so please do add this - sure the people contributing to the thread would like to read it.

And thanks all for the comments on the story - and to Daniel for talking me through his experience with the cup. By the way, I mention in the article he'd produced match day programs for open Cup games sometimes - he did a nice one for the Charleston game (got a copy from him that he'd made up for the Chivas home game).

I'm off to do the liveblogging of the USAvCan game on the Guardian site tonight. Maybe keep a window open if you're watching the game - and send me a tweet or an email...

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
Hi all,

MLS break is over, so the Guardian weekend previews are here. Eric from Empire of Soccer does the New York honors this week.

Links in the article to the 3rd and 4th round Open Cup coverage and minute by minute coverage of the recent round of USMNT games.

Link

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
5 Things we learned this weekend article up here

And for those of you with strong stomachs, here's Chicago vs New York as it happened.

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
Summary of midweek games, including Vancouver...

Here

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
And now we have this weekend's MLS previews up - Dan Dickinson from Gothamist does the honors for New York.

Here

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
Latest MLS previews before Toronto game - Red Bulls comments from Ian Thompson aka The Soccer Observer, and former First Touch Red Bulls correspondent.

Here

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
Latest 5 Things we learned this weekend (including NE game)

Here

Also did a story on the Spencer sacking yesterday and Richie Williams name came up quite a lot as a possible replacement.

Here

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
Weekend previews up now - Dave Martinez doing the New York honors...

Here

Savarese17

Savarese17

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
Thanks Graham, it's not that people are ignoring the posts, I'm sure we all have it on our bookmarks by now.

Great job :cheers:

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Thanks Graham, it's not that people are ignoring the posts, I'm sure we all have it on our bookmarks by now.

I ignore them, they suck.

(kidding, so nobody gets the wrong idea. Read the damn articles.)

GParker

GParker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Thanks for that - it's one of the drawbacks of trying not to spam you all with multiple threads that this one is mostly just me talking to myself.

Here's this week's 5 things column. Includes a section on Le Toux's debut.

I'm doing a story on tv coverage of the sport in the US - spent yesterday watching most of the game from the roof. God it was hot.

By the way, if you enjoy being bothered by this sort of thing - on Twitter I am @KidWeil.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro
I really appreciate the recaps. I finally got totally sick of Comcast's ineptitude with the Direct Kick package and switched to subscribing to Matchday/MLS Live, which gives me far too much MLS to watch every weekend. I use the Guardian "Five Things We Learned" articles as the guide to which archived matches to watch, so while there may not be much action on this thread, rest assured that your MLS coverage is very much appreciated.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users