Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,262 posts

at least we have this!?!

https://www.mlssocce...-york-red-bulls

cue all the old compaints

The Supporters' Shield is the toughest trophy to win in Major League Soccer. We could quibble over what trophy is the most important, and there isn't a right answer there. The toughest trophy to win, though, that's the Supporters' Shield. 

It requires nine months of excellence. Any single poor performance could cost you the race; every single goal over 34 games matters. You can't just turn it on or off when you feel like it. You have to be committed every day; you have to be talented enough to beat the best teams; experienced enough to navigate the inevitable lows; deep enough to deal with tired legs. 

And nobody has done that better this decade than the New York Red Bulls.

10 playoff appearances 3 Supporters' Shields

5 top of the East

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
#2 LA, #1 Seattle I'm guessing

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

#2 Seattle, #1 LAG

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

at least we have this!?!

The Supporters' Shield is the toughest trophy to win in Major League Soccer. We could quibble over what trophy is the most important, and there isn't a right answer there. The toughest trophy to win, though, that's the Supporters' Shield. 

It requires nine months of excellence. Any single poor performance could cost you the race; every single goal over 34 games matters. You can't just turn it on or off when you feel like it. You have to be committed every day; you have to be talented enough to beat the best teams; experienced enough to navigate the inevitable lows; deep enough to deal with tired legs. 

5 top of the East

They left out a US Open Cup final, and a partridge in a pear tree.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,221 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Most of us get it. 3 Shields would equal 3 stars above the crest in any European league. Not here, where full-season supremacy in MLS officially means only a top seed in the annually re-formatted conference playoffs. The Supporters Shield is just that: a trophy created by die-hard fans to acknowledge the best team of the season, in the absence of any effort by the original MLS to do so.
But, since we are here, where the Stanley Cup, the Super Bowl, the World Series and whatever the NBA trophy is called, are the actual championships, we all would love an MLS Cup.
Or even an Open Cup!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Most of us get it. 3 Shields would equal 3 stars above the crest in any European league. Not here, where full-season supremacy in MLS officially means only a top seed in the annually re-formatted conference playoffs. The Supporters Shield is just that: a trophy created by die-hard fans to acknowledge the best team of the season, in the absence of any effort by the original MLS to do so.
But, since we are here, where the Stanley Cup, the Super Bowl, the World Series and whatever the NBA trophy is called, are the actual championships, we all would love an MLS Cup.
Or even an Open Cup!

CCL!!!

I want them all!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,221 posts

CCL!!!

How could I forget?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,337 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It requires nine months of excellence. ...

A bit overstated.    Even with the last one, with the best season ever, we had plenty of off days and missteps.   There are years where teams like Liverpool miss it by a hair to a team that was nearly flawless, but that's rare.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

at least we have this!?!

5 top of the East

Each shield is a fantastic achievement!

It is not the achievement that matters the most in any given season.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

#2 LA, #1 Seattle I'm guessing

You got this right.

I would have flipped it, LAG had 3 cups and 2 shields, even though they haven't been nearly as good near the end of the decade.

I don't remember exactly how it worked, but there was some thing where Seattle bought the rights to host a lot of those open cup games.  You still have to win them, but it does mean they had an advantage as opposed to a tournament with a random home/away distribution.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,221 posts

Seattle bought the rights to host a lot of those open cup games.  You still have to win them, but it does mean they had an advantage.

IIRC, DCU did the same thing.
Nothing would have stopped us from doing the same.
Hosting was never much of an advantage for us.
2019: one and done at home
2018: win at home, lose away
2017: 2 home wins, then 2 away Ws, lose final away
2016: win away, lose @ Philly
2015: 2 home wins, lose at home on PKs
2014: lose @ Cosmos
2013: win at home, lose away
2012: win away, lose @ Harrisburg
2011: win home, lose @ CHI w/o coach
2010: win 3 at home, lose @ Harrisburg

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

IIRC, DCU did the same thing.
Nothing would have stopped us from doing the same.
Hosting was never much of an advantage for us.
2019: one and done at home
2018: win at home, lose away
2017: 2 home wins, then 2 away Ws, lose final away
2016: win away, lose @ Philly
2015: 2 home wins, lose at home on PKs
2014: lose @ Cosmos 2013: win at home, lose away
2012: win away, lose @ Harrisburg
2011: win home, lose @ CHI w/o coach
2010: win 3 at home, lose @ Harrisburg

10-2 record at home, 4-8 away from this sample. Seems pretty advantageous to be at home, even for us.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,658 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

10-2 record home, 4-8 away from this sample. Seems pretty advantageous to be at home, even for us.

2 Harrisburg road losses, Cosmos loss, loss to NE at Harvard, and PHI at home on PKs. 

And Chicago in '03. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,221 posts

10-2 record home, 4-8 away from this sample. Seems pretty advantageous to be at home, even for us.

I did the research after I made the comment!
Probably should have changed it to:
The club was never concerned enough with a potential home field advantage, to bid for home games.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,221 posts

2 Harrisburg road losses, Cosmos loss, loss to NE at Harvard, and PHI at home on PKs. 
And Chicago in '03. 

This, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users