30 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I see LA Galaxy as a destination for him. They got rid of all of their gks. I would be shocked if they do not call to see if he is available.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

That dude Vancouver just let go is a good keeper, just think there are always a bunch available.  Macmath was playing extremely well before Howard was in there.  

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

If this was FIFA18, I would totes trade Robles. 

Love the dude, but I also have fond memories of that one season where Meara was starting and think he deserves a chance. 

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Meara is not at at all like Adams in this Robles/Dax comparison. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

That dude Vancouver just let go is a good keeper, just think there are always a bunch available.  Macmath was playing extremely well before Howard was in there.  

You can say that, but remember the revolving door we had there before we got Robles.   Plenty of keepers, not many really good ones.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

remember the revolving door we had there before we got Robles.   Plenty of keepers, not many really good ones.

I pretty much have good memories of all of our goalkeepers. Including Eddie Gaven.
http://www.metrofana...=0&TYPE=0&STAT=

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I pretty much have good memories of all of our goalkeepers. Including Eddie Gaven.
http://www.metrofana...=0&TYPE=0&STAT=

We would never have won a SS with BounaTime, Gaudette, or All-Time Leading Scorer Danny Cepero.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

We would never have won a SS with BounaTime, Gaudette, or All-Time Leading Scorer Danny Cepero.

I'll just be the one to point out that Cepero led us to an MLS Cup final when Conway got banned.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I'll just be the one to point out that Cepero Dane Richards led us to an MLS Cup final when Conway got banned.

ftfy

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Or anyone else not named Luis Robles.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I live for a Stone Cold Bill Gaudette reference. Puerto Rico legend.

RedBullFootball

RedBullFootball

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Wouldn't trade Robles away for any keeper in the league.   Sub Meara in for Luis and we likely don't make the playoffs this year. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Wouldn't trade Robles away for any keeper in the league.   Sub Meara in for Luis and we likely don't make the playoffs this year. 

You can also say that rbny could of used that 400k salary at cb or mid and we would be in mls cup since meara can do that job.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

400k is like 11% of the salary cap (not considering AM)

In MLS, does it make sense to spend 11% of your cap on a keeper? 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

400k is like 11% of the salary cap (not considering AM)

In MLS, does it make sense to spend 11% of your cap on a keeper? 

This has been my contention.  I'm not crazy about spending a lot on that position at all.  It's like using a huge chunk of money in football on a RB.  Even the center position is the same way.  And that all doesn't mean you can just not care who you sign.  Those positions can still be huge issues if you have a BAD player, but if you have a decent keeper, there isn't a huge difference between decent and good.  Where 300k means a huge difference at what you see at CB. 

Where I think they decided it's worthwhile with Robles is that he's very good, he's a great leader, and he pushes the team message big time in the locker room.  I think that's why they sacrifice the cap space to a position they probably shouldn't.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users