RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I appreciate the FA Cups recently won. 

In turn, for us, I'd appreciate EVERY SINGLE domestic trophy won (MLSCup, Shield, USOC), and CCL if we ever get deep in that tournament. Seattle, Chicago and SKC are 3/4/5 in domestic trophies won based SOLELY on how many USOCs they've won (four each).

All Liverpool fans want to win the league and they haven't done so recently. Do Liverpool fans discount the treble they won in ~2003 or whatever? The Champions League win? Thought so. You gladly accept any trophy won. To think otherwise reeks of idiocy.

As a Liverpool fan, until we win the Prem, I don't give a rat's ass about anything other than the Prem and CL.    "Gladly accept," sure, but winning or losing those smaller cups are no big deal at all.   We could win both the FA Cup and the League Cup, but if we drop out of CL, the season would be a total failure.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

As a Liverpool fan, until we win the Prem, I don't give a rat's ass about anything other than the Prem and CL.    "Gladly accept," sure, but winning or losing those smaller cups are no big deal at all.   We could win both the FA Cup and the League Cup, but if we drop out of CL, the season would be a total failure.

I wont call you ungrateful, because you are entitled to your own opinion. I do question your valuation of the FA Cup especially, and the League Cup. Celebrate any victory or achievement! While the CL spot brings financial rewards, there should be real joy in winning a final at Wembley. It may not be the supreme joy of hoisting a European Cup, but it should be joy nonetheless.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I wont call you ungrateful, because you are entitled to your own opinion. I do question your valuation of the FA Cup especially, and the League Cup. Celebrate any victory or achievement! While the CL spot brings financial rewards, there should be real joy in winning a final at Wembley. It may not be the supreme joy of hoisting a European Cup, but it should be joy nonetheless.

My joy in winning something needs to align with my grief in losing it... and losing the FA Cup just didn't bother me all that much in the scheme of things.   It was more just a "that's so Metro" confirmation of the glaring  deficiencies that keep us from winning the really important trophies.    Same for the USOC here, except we've never won the USOC, and I flew my ass out there, making it much worse than Liverpool losing an FA Cup.   If we had a couple USOC's in the trophy case, losing one final wouldn't gut me.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

we've never won the USOC, and I flew my ass out there, making it much worse than Liverpool losing an FA Cup.

I was in KC as well, and the loss did hurt, but I separate my love for Metro from my love for my favorite EPL club.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I think people who don't value the Supporters Shield are mostly fans converted from football and hockey. Soccer is a different kind of sport and the traditional fans understand the value of every single game throughout the season.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

I think people who don't value the Supporters Shield are mostly fans converted from football and hockey.

Most US soccer fans are converts, at least those of a certain age. Baseball & basketball fans are the same as football and hockey. Since 1969, all the best record in MLB gets you is a divisional crown and home field advantage in your league playoffs. No one cares, unless you get to, and preferably win, the World Series. The NBA has always had divisions, and the overall record again meant little without a playoff title.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Also those 4 sports don't have equal scheduling, some teams play in weaker divisions than others. Maybe if every team played each other the same amount of times people would care but it's never going to happen and it would be impossible in the NFL anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users